Just Another Florida Hacker

PirateJim

Reaction score
Handicap
NA Current
Greetings,

My name is Jim and I'm a golfaholic, but I have no intention to quit.

I wasn't always an addict, though I've had plenty of opportunity. I expect my father shoved a cut down club into my hands within days after I first began to walk, and throughout my childhood I played at least off and on because my parents were golfers. During my teens we lived on a course and I played pretty regularly and took a number of lessons because I could, and again to please my parents.

In my early twenties I went back to it for a short while and played with my dad pretty regularly. I think I could out drive him by the time I was twelve, but I could never out play him. He played the most boring game of golf; shortish drive (with a wooden three wood) down the middle of the fairway, lay up in front of the creek instead of going for the green, pitch it up and sink the putt.... boring, but effective. I got to see parts of that course he never visited.

He passed away the same year I got married, that would have been '78, and the golf clubs pretty much got stowed, though I always had a set. Once in a while someone would talk me into playing and I would do it either because they were a friend or I thought it would be a good business move. (Retrospectively, I'm not sure why I thought showing how poorly I played golf would be a good business move...)

Then, a bit over a year ago I was looking out at a golf course and it came to me that I wanted to go play. It is funny because I had always played in the past because someone else wanted me to. This time I'm doing it just because I want to do it, and I'm now old enough that I'm trying to learn to play smart like my father always did. I'm so lazy I mostly won't drive past the course that's near my home, though it really isn't in that great shape. And I'm quite happy to play solo, and actually prefer it a lot of the time, especially when sneaking out for a fast nine.

When I started again I searched around the web and had made a bookmark for THP, but for whatever reason had gotten into the habit of reading a couple of other forums when I had the time for it. Then I rediscovered this forum the other day when searching around for reviews of the new Titleist AP1s that I'm sort of lusting after currently. Wow! Great review thread going currently, thank you Hawk and everyone else that has been giving feedback! This prompted a bit more looking around and now I'm sorry I've not been at least lurking here more. That will now change.

Welcome to THP Jim! The land of golf addicts!

Welcome to THP! Glad to you have aboard, so to speak.

Welcome fellow Floridian!

Hey Jim, welcome to THP!

Welcome!
A lot of awesome THP'ers in Florida!

Welcome to Golf Addicts Anonymous….also known as THP. Florida THP'ers in the HOUSE!!!

Welcome to THP Jim, glad you joined.

Welcome to the team Jim!

Welcome to THP! Great story

Welcome to THP!

Welcome..

Welcome to thp

Welcome to THP Jim!

:welcome: glad to have you aboard.

Welcome Jim! A good bit of us Florida golfers here with ya!

Welcome to the forum Jim!

Welcome to THP

Welcome to THP

Welcome!

Welcome to THP Jim!!!

Welcome!

Welcome to THP

Welcome to THP!

Back