Justin Thomas thread

It seems like this is more palatable than someone slamming their driver

I am late to the party also, I guess he called himself a name?

Yeah, sponsors have pulled endorsement deals for bad publicity long before dweebs on social media tried to “cancel” people.
I find it sad/interesting/awful that people are complaining about repercussions from the use of abhorrent language. Might be time for some self-reflection.

As a company and one that made this decision very public, shouldn’t they also consider that where they create these items and what acts are legal and illegal?
I'm not sure what legal or illegal acts you are referring to but getting out of JT's endorsement contract is very easy.

just curious on who decides whether someone needs "self-reflection"
In this specific case, if Justin Thomas is actually remorseful and disappointed in himself, he needs to do his best to rid that word, the justification for using that word, from his mind.

It seems many railing against “cancel culture” are so willing to “cancel” Nike and Ralph Lauren.

It happened. JT apologized and I thought it was an honest, unscripted apology, which I appreciated. I would like to see some personal growth from him such as keeping his temper in check a bit more on the course. Time will tell.

I always try to remind myself that most of these companies are victims of our current PC McCarthyism just like everyone else. They’re essentially being bullied and extorted to play along because if they don’t then they become the next target. I’m fine giving these companies a second chance, at least until they prove they’re actively evil, like a Nike. I’m not one of those nuts who gets all caught up yelling boycott, but there will never be another Nike product in my family’s home. I’m not sure RL is like that.

I'm not sure what legal or illegal acts you are referring to but getting out of JT's endorsement contract is very easy.
Check out where RL manufacturers these clothes and what is legal and illegal. If the company wants to make a statement, which they can and I applaud them for, they could at least make it a bit less hypocritical.

As mentioned I said my peace on Off Course and stand by it that there is no reason for that word to be used, but I despise hypocrisy.

I would like to see some personal growth from him such as keeping his temper in check a bit more on the course. Time will tell.

I don’t really have an issue with these guys showing emotions on the course, whether that be the highs or lows. I doubt anyone wants to watch emotionless robots out there that have no reaction to their play (Tiger is by far the most watched player and wears his emotions on his sleeve on the course throughout his career). When a shot or two can be the difference between tens/houndreds of thousands of dollars, I imagine it would be hard for any human to remain emotionless when errors occur.

just curious on who decides whether someone needs "self-reflection"

I do self-reflection on a daily basis.

I'm serious. I look back, observe how I treated people each day, my use of words, did I listen, what can I do to get more done - it makes you a better individual. I don't release an email without reviewing it or even waiting overnight to send it.

Most of us are products of the information we receive or the way we were raised. We should question the information we take in, don't kneel to authority but question it to watch for manipulation, see how we were raised affected us, and implement change where needed - How can we see reality if we are not questioning how we make decisions and the information used to make those decisions.

Last edited:
What he is referring to with illegal activities are homosexuality is illegal in the places the clothes for RL are made.

He reacted and apologized.

Not sure what people want....a hand delivered note from his mom saying he's sincere in his inner reflection and desire for personal growth?

then someone else on social media would want more!

Wish I was perfect, especially after missing an easy golf shot 🤣

It may be because the term isn’t really used in England (the first 3 letters are used in daily language to mean cigarette) , but I personally think this is getting a little ridiculous. I don’t put it down to cancel culture, and I get RL have to protect their brand, but again, as said before, it surely comes down to context. He said it under his breath that was picked up by a mic turned to the max. If he had used it to slur someone I get it. I don’t on the whole go around calling people c****, but I’m constantly calling myself that under my breath. I don’t dispute it’s a slur that shouldn’t be used in open conversation, but again surely context. He did it privately, got caught. Apologized. Move on as far as I’m concerned. Please don’t flame me.

The Off Course discussion on this yesterday was SO good.

It's very refreshing that a topic such as this has been bantered about ad nauseam with etiquette associated to THP and no other forum I am aware of. It's not a very friendly world out there. Real atrocities take place every day which make JT's situation seem laughable. I said my peace early and postulated that this was a non event. It was. However, there are many who see a scab and pick at it over and over until it's an amputation required. RL issued their little slap on wrist. They are hypocrites based on their manufacturing choices. They aren't as evil as Nike. So many words get a no can use while others that are equal or worse get a pass. I say thank you to THP for admin oversite that creates a forum I'm proud to participate in.

i have called myself that word and several other words....does that make me a bad guy then? maybe it does in some peoples eyes. i think it is more the intent, just my opinion.

glad none of you have called players in your group "nancy" or teased them because they didn't reach the women's tee off the box or teased them if they came up 5 feet short on a 10 foot putt. remember bullying is wrong.

i have no problem with any of his sponsors dumping him and thinking they are protecting their brand. but to tell someone they need some kind of sensitivity training for using a word is beyond ridiculous.

i have called myself that word and several other words....does that make me a bad guy then? maybe it does in some peoples eyes. i think it is more the intent, just my opinion.

glad none of you have called players in your group "nancy" or teased them because they didn't reach the women's tee off the box or teased them if they came up 5 feet short on a 10 foot putt. remember bullying is wrong.

i have no problem with any of his sponsors dumping him and thinking they are protecting their brand. but to tell someone they need some kind of sensitivity training for using a word is beyond ridiculous.

Words are powerful. Words start wars. Words lead to the human slaughter. Words alienate. Words depress, uplift, and cause basically every other human emotion/reaction possible.

Some words, like “f****t” are slurs that have been used to demean an entire segment of our population—people who often faced violence just for being who they are. So, no, you shouldn’t call yourself “f****t,” especially when intending to insult yourself.

JT knows he messed up. I believe he sincerely feels bad. Sensitivity training or self reflection will simply allow him to explore whether he has hate in his heart or this was a random mistake.

I grew up a country boy and it was what it was back then. Every derogatory word invented and probably some we invented was said.

I’ve worked hard as an adult to remove anything that might be offensive, but it can take a while. I still occasionally slip up and say something, but I sure as hell have tried to clear that part of my language and even thought process up.

I have to be very cautious about anything “gay” related. My oldest boy identifies as “gay” even though he’s dating a biological female that identifies as a boy. :oops: I think I’m more confused than he is, 😂.

That said JT needs to adopt that mindset. He screwed up, he owned it. Move on but try to be better.

Might not be a bad idea to have a 15 second delay on coverage? There are far too many bad words heard. I personally don’t care excpet for what most consider a gentleman’s sport, it’s just not a good look.

I try to keep my golf swearing to just your basic four letter words, and I’m usually muttering it under my breath at myself, “oh you dumb ****!” Like I didn’t already know I was dumb for making that decision before it went predictably south.

My golf instructor was telling me that to demean yourself to yourself does not help your golf game - it brings it down. Golf is mental as well as athletic.

I've attempted to find another way to "demean" my lack of talent -- perhaps acceptance, laughter and telling yourself you are better than this or there is only a small difference between a poor and good shot is the better way.

Maybe JT will learn to say I am better than this and go forward. Maybe we will do the same. It will make us better golfers and better people.

I don’t really have an issue with these guys showing emotions on the course, whether that be the highs or lows. I doubt anyone wants to watch emotionless robots out there that have no reaction to their play (Tiger is by far the most watched player and wears his emotions on his sleeve on the course throughout his career). When a shot or two can be the difference between tens/houndreds of thousands of dollars, I imagine it would be hard for any human to remain emotionless when errors occur.

I have to agree with you as to the expression of emotion. Personally, I don’t have a problem with players displaying emotion.

Actions h
This "cancelled" word is overused. We can do better.

JT made a mistake and his endorsement was dropped. When we used the word "cancelled", we are misleading ourselves about what occurred.
10000000000000%. Actions and words can have consequences, whether we agree or not.

I blame his father for this outrageous display of insensitivity, I don't know the guy at all but the way he sulked around (he just seems easily pissed off to me) that PRC Tournament I just bet he has let out a few choice not so politically correct phases in his life and the boy just picked up on it.

As has been pointed out in other post the word is openly used in the gay community and is fine to them if used by them, same as the N word is used by people of color all the time and that is also fine, but god forbid any other people utter those words and it is burning at the stake time.

What ever happened to just ignoring what you don't like and moving on, people would have much less stress if not everything was a huge deal. But I fear it will get much worst in the next few years and we will all have to deal with a lot more of this crapple and watch what we say and do or be sent to the camps for retraining.

Ya know, When he said it and i was watching when he did, i backed it up and played it for the wife. AT that time i said, he will catch hell for that one......so do i think its homophobic? no, homophobic is "having or showing a dislike of or prejudice against gay people." he called himself that so i do not really think it is within the definition. but i told her there will be heck to pay, because of the state of the world today and that it will only take one person to SAY they are offended at something and then the avalanche is headed downhill. If he would have just said F%*#; they announcer would have apologized or Rolfing would have said "i might have phrased that differently" and we would have laughed it off. BUT, thats what he said and now we will see who drops him next.

Back