KellyBo & Gray -- Diary of taking Lessons

I had a lesson the other day but I'm just getting around to writing about it so here goes.

The only time I could get in for my lesson was at 5pm on the 1st day of my club championship and I went ahead and scheduled it. BIG MISTAKE! I hit way too many balls and felt so sore and fatigued the next day.

On the first day of club championship I shot an 86 which is not good from our ladies red tees. The last 4 times I have played our course I shot 78, 79, 81 from red and 81 from gold which is rated 4-5 strokes harder for women. My game has been much better lately and I was feeling good about the tournament but I was really disappointed in how I played.

Told coach I would like him to help me with two problems that I was having in the tournament (besides my mental game/nerves).

Driver:

He worked with me on squaring my shoulders better and really made me tilt back to the right because I am throwing my shoulder way too quickly. My setup was awkward and I hit some really ugly shots at first but by the time I was finished I was hitting them straight as an arrow. I was exhausted though after playing 18 earlier in near 100° weather and hitting tons of balls on the range that evening until I got it right.

Wedges:

I told him about a really good drive I had hit in the tournament leaving me only 30 yards to the green on a par 4. I screwed up on my 2nd shot big time and ended up with a bogey. He told me I had been hitting those shots so good and he didn't understand. I admitted that I had some confusion with when to turn and when not to turn on those type shots and I lacked confidence at times, especially when hitting off hard pan like we have at our course.

He found a place to practice on the range that didn't have good grass and we went there. He asked me if I practice on hard pan and I admitted that I do not. I'm always looking for good grass when I practice.

He asked me to look at the green and tell him if I thought I could throw a ball without turning or did I feel like I needed to turn to get the ball there. I told him initially I thought I would need to turn since it was about 40 yards away. Eventually I figured out that I didn't need to turn at all and it was a simple straight back swing about waist high.

He wants me to take some time practicing short shots using a swing just about knee high and then waist high using the straight back swing without the turn. I made really good contact with those and he told me to experiment with different distances such as 20, 40, 60 yards and with different wedges. He wants me to determine my distances and write them down. It will help me be much more confident with those type shots. Makes sense that I would improve dramatically if I had an idea of distance on these shots.

I also asked him how to make the ball go higher on demand. He showed me how opening the face on the wedges makes them go higher. He worked with me on opening my stance and swinging across on certain shots makes it lob more. It's something I will have to practice.

My 2nd day of the tournament was disastrous. My nerves got the best of me. I had a great range session before the tournament but the first shot off the tee was trouble. My driver was awful all day but my short game was better. I was and still am so sore from hitting way too many balls on Saturday. I know fatigue, nerves, and too much to think about with my driver played a part in me shooting my worse round on the red tees this year (92).

Bobby said the biggest problem with me is I won't get out of my own way. I do not have the confidence I need and have way too much self-doubt. He says he has seen me play really good recently and he wants to figure out a way to get me playing as good in tournaments as I do at other times.

I'm taking a few days off and letting my body and mind recover. Bowling anyone? :D

Last edited:
I too never practice out of hard pan areas. I think that's a great idea to play around with your wedges and get some numbers down on various swings with various wedges.

That's a lot of golf in a two day time period. I hope you enjoy your rest, and I'm sure you'll do better in the next tournament.

No matter how many lessons I take and how much I learn, one thing keeps sticking out like a sore thumb. My mental game needs work BIG TIME. I have read several of the Bob Rotella books and really spent some time doing what he suggested last year but then got lazy with it. One of the things he recommends is keeping a journal of all your good shots every time you play. Well I know I won't stick to that but I am going to make an effort to record some things that will help keep me thinking positive instead of negative.

I played in a ladies scramble over the weekend at River Forest (68.9/123 rating) and played the best golf I can remember and we won our flight at -9. We had no bogeys and missed several birdie/eagle opportunities by an inch or two. I bought myself a new Titleist Vokey wedge with my gift certificate!

My best shots:
165 yard par 3 - pin high 7' to the right
128 yard par 3 - 5' below pin
108 yard par 3 - 6' left of pin
471 yard par 5 - hit best drive ever on that hole (238 yards according to the GPS) - got to edge of green in 2 using my 3 wood
50 yard shot to 2' from hole
20 foot chip in
30 yard lob over a big trap to 6' from pin
and my best shot of the day was my last approach shot
87 yard shot across water on a par 5 to 3 inches from pin

My irons were the best they've been in a long time. My driver was hot/cold but it's coming around. I've analyzed a recent swing video and see some things I'm doing wrong (closed setup, little swaying, coming a little too inside).

Last edited:
Good write up KB and those were some absolutely awesome shots you had yesterday. I am glad you checked out the swing video and spotted what you need to work on to get the driver as consistent as you want it to be. Keep up the good work.

That's a lot of great shots KB. Looks as if your short game is fantastic right now! I find a lob over a big trap to close to the pin to be one of the more satisfying shots I ever pull off.

I can tell you guys/gals KellyBo is working her butt off to get to her goal in golf. She works hard and actually loves putting in the time. I admire her for her dedication and focus on building a consistent golf swing. I have no doubt her mechanics are solid. The mental part of golf is the hardest IMO. Putting those skills to work on the course under tournament pressure is a chore, to say the least. Once she builds that mental toughness I feel she will have the total package to reach her ultimate goals in this game. I also know my wife. She has the determination to beat the mental demons and come out on top. I am super proud of this Lady and her progress the last couple of years in such a brutal and tough game to conquer. Well you never conquer it but she is trying like hell :D

I used to get mad after a bad shot, now I just laugh it off. Who cares if you have a bad shot, a bad hole, a bad round? The golf course will always be there tomorrow, waiting for you just as it always has. Try and get a more care free approach to each shot. Pick your target, focus only on that target whether it be the fat part of the green or the left center of the fairway, just focus intently on that target and make your best swing to achieve that goal. If you mess up, oh well...you'll have another 1000 swings this year to try and do better.

Keep up the good work KBO. I should have a good hookup for us now when yall come in December for some golf!

I used to get mad after a bad shot, now I just laugh it off. Who cares if you have a bad shot, a bad hole, a bad round? The golf course will always be there tomorrow, waiting for you just as it always has. Try and get a more care free approach to each shot. Pick your target, focus only on that target whether it be the fat part of the green or the left center of the fairway, just focus intently on that target and make your best swing to achieve that goal. If you mess up, oh well...you'll have another 1000 swings this year to try and do better.

Keep up the good work KBO. I should have a good hookup for us now when yall come in December for some golf!

Sounds to me like you need to play more golf Marc :D

Sounds to me like you need to play more golf Marc :D

Aint that the truth! I played 18 yesterday evenin, bout to go play 18 now...playin Tues morn at a nice country club, Weds evening 2pm to dark probably play 36, Thursday range session, Friday golf tourney! I'm starting to pick up a little.

I had a great day on the course yesterday and it felt so good to be on my game.

My son has been practicing this drill and I've been really thinking about my swing plane with my driver/irons. I recently switched how I was taking my irons back and stopped going so much inside and it has worked wonders. Now I'm working on the same thing with my driver. This is my new drill. I'm going to Lowe's today to buy more alignment rods since my son conveniently forgot to return mine when he "borrowed it" while he was here.

It's great to see how you guys are coming on. 238 yard drive, dang KB your smoking the ball. Great job!

Tap,Tap,Tap

Go ahead and get 3 of the sticks KB, I use one just as he is saying in the video and place two on the ground for alignment, I think they are helping me alot.

Played 9 holes at Idle Hour with my coach today. I hit my Yonex on a few holes and my Cleveland on a few holes to see if he could tell me which one he thinks i hit the best. Turns out I hit them both really good and we decided it was a toss up. He felt like the Yonex might have a little less spin but it just wasn't enough difference to tell. My coach is happy with my ball striking but I putted terribly. I had the opportunity to easily shoot a 37 today but shot a 42 instead. After the play lesson we went back over every hole and it was obvious that I have to work on my chipping and putting. Chipping a little closer will help me sink more putts but I am missing too many putts inside 5 feet too. My focus will now be on those two things. I have a 3 day tournament coming up in July so that is what I'm going to focus on most.

I took a few pics while at the course today. Here's where I play when I take playing lessons.

Par 3 Course as you drive into the Learning Center

My coach Bobby Hix

Good report KB and great pics too, I know you and I am sure the chipping and putting will be coming around soon.

Forgot to mention goals he told me to strive towards when I practice. These stats are averages from top players on tour.

Approach/Short Game Goals

From the Fringe 2 feet
Less than 10 yards 3 feet
10 to 20 yards 5 feet
20 to 30 yards 7 feet
30 to 50 yards 8 feet
50 to 75 yards 10 feet
75 to 100 yards 11 feet

Greenside bunker 6 feet

Putting Goals

3 to 5 feet 94%
5 to 10 feet 63%
10 to 15 feet 37%
15 to 20 feet 30%
20 to 25 feet 21%

One good way to measure is to hit 11 balls to your target. Remove the 5 closest and the 5 farthest and the ball left will give you your average distance among the 11 balls you hit.

Went to see my coach yesterday with the focus being on my putting and sand traps. I have a 3-day stroke play tournament at a tough course coming up and these two things are glaring weaknesses. I waited until the very end to sign up for this tournament because of nerves. I've never played in this one and there are some really strong players there. Some of my friends talked me into it because it is flighted by handicap. I looked at last year's scores and one of my friends shot over 100 so I said, okay if she is playing again after shooting that, I can play in it. No fear, right? Haha

Putting:
I was out on the practice putting green and my coach walked out with his IPAD and sat down behind me and told me to keep on practicing. Turns out that he was recording my posture and lean of the putter shaft. He took me back into the fitting center and pulled out some putter heads and lined them up with a laser to my target then asked me if the head looked square to the target, left or right. After trying several out, he found the one that suited my eye the best. He then put it on a 32" shaft and it felt like a kid's putter length to me. Long story short, it turns out that I was not letting the putter hang straight down from my arms and he feels like I need a shorter shaft because it would promote more of a natural stroke. He put some tape on my Seemore which is 33.75" (I thought it was 33") and told me to choke down to that length and use it. We figured out that I needed to stand two putter head lengths away from the ball at that length and bend over more than I have been. He then recorded me putting on the Ipad again and I could see the big difference in my setup.

We went through some practice drills. One was putting a penny on top of the ball when putting from 3-5'. He said this is especially helpful from a close distance as you can see the hole in your peripheral vision and your eye has a tendency to follow the ball to the hole at that distance. Keeping your eye on the penny all the way through your stroke and waiting to hear the sound of the ball drop will teach you not to look towards the hole. He also had me putting from longer distances and talked to me about letting the putter do the work instead of getting handsy and forcing things. I was stroking the ball really well by the end of our practice.

Sand Traps:
We went out to the trap and I asked him to teach me more about hitting short, mid and long distances to the pin. I'm finally learning how to get out but I have no idea past getting out how to play the traps. He demonstrated many different shots for me. Adjusting the angle of your stance, opening of your club face, tempo of your swing, angle of your swing, etc. It was very helpful and enlightening. I must practice!!!

Playing a practice round today at Cuscowilla http://www.cuscowilla.com/golf_course.php where our tournament will be week after next.

Good write up KB, as well as you putted Friday I am a little surprised he wanted to make such a drastic change in you putter length and stroke, think how well the putting will be now that the length and setup are right for you. Being absolutely sure you can get out of a trap removes the intimidation factor from the sand, keep up the good work and good luck in the tournament.

Last edited:
I have a good feeling about this tournament for KellyBo and I think she will relax, enjoy and ride the experience to the next level.

Great write up KB. I have been working really hard on putting myself this summer, so I like this write up a bunch. I hope you continue to get better. Sounds like you are really working hard and have a great teacher.

I wanted to comment about how much my last lesson has helped me. I switched to my shorter Seemore FGP putter today and putted using my new setup. I am happy to report that this new setup is just what I needed. I didn't miss any putts inside of 7 feet today! I felt so much more confident on the putting greens. I'm still struggling to get it to the hole on longer putts but I'm going to keep working on that. I hope my putting keeps improving because that is the one thing that is going to make or break me!

Thanks for the very nice comments guys!

Wow I got to catch up on this thread very impressive KB .Keep it up.....

Found this article about putting. The setup shown below is exactly how my instructor had me setting up. More bent over, about 2 putter heads away from the ball, arms hanging down in line with putter. Will use this as a reference since I'm such a visual learner.

http://www.pgatour.com/2008/tourlife/instruction/02/05/simpleputting/index.html

putting1.jpg

Play lesson this evening. Coach worked with me on trouble shots a bit tonight. Taught me how to keep the ball low under trees, hit bump and runs onto green when appropriate, club selection on downhill lies (delofts club so choose higher loft), sand shots (says I must practice tons on this), rough, etc.

We played about 7 holes and he liked how I was hitting the ball. I did have a few pulls and mishits which I was actually glad he got to see. The Cleveland clubs I have are all lightweight and require a smooth swing. When I try to go after the ball, I almost always pull the shot. He reminded me of being smooth and letting the club do the work. I was hitting some really nice shots on second tries.

He was especially pleased with my distance control on my putts. I was close to the hole on all my longer putts today. I've been struggling with that and I was surprised I did as well as I did on the bent grass after playing aerated bermuda for the last two days.

My course management decisions were questioned a couple times. Once when I hit a 3 wood on a slightly downhill lie on a par 5. He really made me think about not needing the distance on that shot and laying up to a good distance for my 3rd shot. The other time was when I was in trouble and had to hit a low runner out of the trees. I chose a 4H to chip out when he said I would be better off with a 7 iron because of the big clump of crab grass I had sitting behind my ball. I should have used a steeper angle to avoid the grass too.

I have been practicing my short game like crazy. It's paying off. I'm hoping to get motivated to work on bunker practice soon. I hate them with a passion and really don't want to practice in this hot weather. It's got to happen if I want to improve. One thing at a time.

The one thing I hear from my instructor every time I see him: YOU GET OUT OF GOLF WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT!

Last edited:
Good write up KellyBo, pretty soon all you will have left to practice is the sand game, everything else is coming together very nicely. WTG

Back