Kraft Nabisco Championship [Spoilers] + Contest Update

Holy cripes. Anyone catch Lorena slamming her ball down into the green?

What a rare, and unexpected outburst.
I did see it. That was pure vandalism, IMO (though she did a quick repair attempt). :bad: I hope they fine her.

Could Yani be more good for the game? I have said this for a while now, but I really do think that if more people tuned in and saw her, that they would be hooked. Smiling, having fun, interacting with the fans, and can FLAT OUT PLAY! Her post interview could convert quite a few people.

No post interview???? WTH?

Could Yani be more good for the game? I have said this for a while now, but I really do think that if more people tuned in and saw her, that they would be hooked. Smiling, having fun, interacting with the fans, and can FLAT OUT PLAY! Her post interview could convert quite a few people.

Agreed JB - She's a charming young woman. We've seen her in airports, restaurants, and the like - she is always smiling and has time to chat. Wonderful gal. Re: Suzann - she made it interesting. She's a popular player as evidenced by the chat about her and the applause for her at the 18th. I spoke with her Mother and told her I enjoyed watching her play.

Spouse and I are just back from the Kraft - There was just a 6.9 earthquake here - centered in Mexicali, Mexico. 6.9 is very husky - lamps and TV swaying, longish - maybe 45 seconds. Sheesh - you'd think when we were away from SF, we'd get a break from these things.

Back at the tournament - I started out watching Lorena, SH and Karrie. All 3 couldn't produce very exciting golf, Stupples was starting to back peddle, so I made my way back to the Clubhouse and met up with Golf Chick and her BF - we just spent a few minutes discussing favorites, and who to follow then split up to enjoy the rest of the play. Spouse and I grabbed lunch, then settled in at the stands at 18. Sorry, the officials were saying the gate was a double digit improvement over last year, but many seats were available in the grandstands, and - the real litmus test for us - only about 100 fans followed Lorena today, so, I'd say attendance was down. It's always fun to sit at 18, though. We were filmed (again) as they are preparing lots of scenes in celebration of the 40th anniversary next year. The approach shots were fun to see and cheer, but it would have been nice to see someone make a long putt. The cup eluded everyone, it seemed. I guess that also makes it a Major. It was nice to see a few players celebrate with Yani - C. Kim (of course - so exuberant), as well as some of the early finishers.

It's been a wonderful week for us. We'll be off to dinner in a bit. (Right now I'd better duck and cover!)

Last edited:
No post interview???? WTH?

The LPGA just tweeted that there was a minor earthquake during Yani's winners press conference. They wrote:

"An earthquake just shook the media center during Yani Tseng's winner press conference. Talk about an earth shattering win!"

Was a fun time at Mission Hills today. The sun was def. beating down on you. It was a pleasure meeting you Ricearoni :) I hope you have a safe trip back home!!

Question: Do they move the pin location everyday?

Nice final round by Yani. Strong play all day. Would have been fun to see Suzann make one of those putts on 13-16 or get the chip in on 18. I agree with you JB, that Yani could be good for the LPGA. I think it is more about the player, their scores and their personality, than their nationality. Overall good start to the LPGA season, sad that there are only 22 tournaments left!

Question: Do they move the pin location everyday?

Yes, and they often move the tees too. Makes for interesting finishing holes like the 18 today.

Nice final round by Yani. Strong play all day. Would have been fun to see Suzann make one of those putts on 13-16 or get the chip in on 18. I agree with you JB, that Yani could be good for the LPGA. I think it is more about the player, their scores and their personality, than their nationality. Overall good start to the LPGA season, sad that there are only 22 tournaments left!

yeah, she is a blast and a doll. Only met her on 1 occasion, but she was simply a delight. Everybody in the industry says the same thing. Forget the nationality in this case if some believe that hinders fans. It did not hurt Annika. If language is an issue, it isnt with Yani. Heck, she lives in Annikas place. She is considered a Floridian by most around her. I love her passion and watching her truly enjoy the game.

She is considered a Floridian by most around her.

But, of course, she isn't a Floridian.

I almost hate to drum this all up again but let's not spin this to where we are ignoring the truth.

I almost hate to drum this all up again but let's not spin this to where we are ignoring the truth.

Neither was Annika, Suzann, etc... Does it hurt them? Did it hurt Chi Chi?

How about Tiger Woods? Does he look like the rest of the golfers? Heck, he looks more like Yani Tseng than he does Jack Nicklaus. Has it hurt the tour or the fans? Clearly you are not bothered by it. Some of the most popular golfers in the world have not been American. The greatest female golfer of all time, was not American. If you follow sports like you say you do, you would know that it has little to do with that and more to do with domination and charisma.

Nobody is spinning anything. Not everybody cares like you do. Then there are some that care and dont like your idol for the same reason.

Why do you keep going there?

:thankyou: for the great reports, Riceroni: They were an interesting read!

:thankyou: for the great reports, Riceroni: They were an interesting read!

My pleasure - It's not always possible for me to do this (I'm too tired, we're meeting friends, or Spouse wants dinner, e.g.) so when I can post, I will. It's just fun to share what you see aside from the telecast.
I hope to do this again a couple more times this year.

My pleasure - It's not always possible for me to do this (I'm too tired, we're meeting friends, or Spouse wants dinner, e.g.) so when I can post, I will. It's just fun to share what you see aside from the telecast.
I hope to do this again a couple more times this year.

Will you be back in Oregon for the Safeway Classic?

Will you be back in Oregon for the Safeway Classic?

Yes, Bonk. We had a great time last year - it was nice to see Pumpkin Ridge, good food, met up with friends, the usual. We've got a room reserved already.

Yes, Bonk. We had a great time last year - it was nice to see Pumpkin Ridge, good food, met up with friends, the usual. We've got a room reserved already.

It was my first LPGA tournament, and my FIL and I had a good time, despite the rain. He's a big LPGA fan and was really impressed by what he saw in person.

It was my first LPGA tournament, and my FIL and I had a good time, despite the rain. He's a big LPGA fan and was really impressed by what he saw in person.

It's a nice event to attend for so many reasons. Because it's only 3 days, you usually see quick-paced, exciting golf from the first tee time. Plus, there is tremendous community support for that event. The teenagers shuttling fans in carts, Oregon Jr. Golfers working as standard bearers, Tournament Golf Foundation does a great job running the event, the Safeway tent for noshing, or, for serious meals, fans can dine in the clubhouse. (Not always possible - e.g. not allowed at Kraft.) Just a good time, IMHO.

Ricey was kind enough to send us some souvenirs from the tourney--this year's "These Girls Rock" poster and a couple of magazines--one from the LPGA and one a guide to golf in Ireland (just to make me jealous). All very nice. Boo Girl asked about Amanda Blumenherst--she's the only golfer Boo didn't recognize. So I got to explain about rookies and Q school and staying on the money list.

It was very nice of Ricey. Thanks to her, our basement is beginning to look like LPGA headquarters (she sent us the Kraft Nabisco winner's poster last year).

Ricey was kind enough to send us some souvenirs from the tourney--this year's "These Girls Rock" poster and a couple of magazines--one from the LPGA and one a guide to golf in Ireland (just to make me jealous). All very nice. Boo Girl asked about Amanda Blumenherst--she's the only golfer Boo didn't recognize. So I got to explain about rookies and Q school and staying on the money list.

It was very nice of Ricey. Thanks to her, our basement is beginning to look like LPGA headquarters (she sent us the Kraft Nabisco winner's poster last year).

perhaps the hat would look good down there huh?

perhaps the hat would look good down there huh?

Along with the one with Lorena's signature, plus Boo Girl's autograph hat (she has Morgan Pressel, Stacey Lewis, Lorena Ochoa, and Paula Creamer on the same hat), and my collection of autographed balls. Hmmm... I need to upgrade my shelves.

Along with the one with Lorena's signature, plus Boo Girl's autograph hat (she has Morgan Pressel, Stacey Lewis, Lorena Ochoa, and Paula Creamer on the same hat), and my collection of autographed balls. Hmmm... I need to upgrade my shelves.

sounds like the hubby has a project for next weekend, haha!

sounds like the hubby has a project for next weekend, haha!

That's in my skill set, not Hubby's. He's hopeless at that sort of stuff.

Back