Miyazaki B. Asha Shafts - Everything You Want To Know

E
Finally sat down and listened to the In The Rough with JB and Tim from Miyazaki talking about the B. Asha.

Couple of things.

1.) Tour Pros and THP members, were some of the first people in the world to try this shaft hands on. Let that sink in for a moment. That is amazing.

2.) If I understood correctly, Cleveland will be rolling with the B. Asha this year, but in a modified visual package? This shaft is a year behind the Classic, and that is unfortunate, because that tandem would have looked boss together. The B. Asha is one of the sexiest shafts I have ever seen and I see it ending up in a LOT of Classics, just because the shaft should be in a Classic.

3.) I noticed the roughness/matte finish of the shaft in St. Louis. Little did I know, this wasn't for cosmetics, but a performance feature to increase drag.

4.) I am glad they have went to the 3,4,5 instead of 39, 49, 59, so forth. I am not super familiar with Miyazaki and as somewhat of a shaft noob, and I would glaze over a little bit when looking at their lineups. And still don't ask me to explain or understand international flex codes. I am still a little lost there.

I swung the 4X in St. Louis, and I think I just appreciate and handle a heavier driver shaft better. I think I saw that Graehm was playing a 5X at the Ryder Cup and I can't recall seeing one in St. Louis, let alone hitting one. I think I did see that they are going to offer a 7 series, which will be 75g maybe on the Stiff and 77g in the X.

did you mean to say decrease drag with the rough finish? I agree 100% about the color and finish of the shaft. It's just a departure from the ordinary in a great way.

also there was a 5x, 7x and 4s in Atlanta so I'm guessing the same was true for St. Louis.

the 4s tended to get away from me but the 5x with stood everything I though at it. I didn't one see a dramatic side spin with the 5X like I did with the 4S.

E

did you mean to say decrease drag with the rough finish? I agree 100% about the color and finish of the shaft. It's just a departure from the ordinary in a great way.

also there was a 5x, 7x and 4s in Atlanta so I'm guessing the same was true for St. Louis.

the 4s tended to get away from me but the 5x with stood everything I though at it. I didn't one see a dramatic side spin with the 5X like I did with the 4S.

Yeah, I did. Thanks for the correction, Freddie.

I must have missed the 7X in St. Louis. Other than the Ping Anser, I wasn't having much luck swinging the big stick, so I couldn't really get a good read on the 4X I swung, other than it seemed a little tougher than my Speeder. If there is a 7X in Ohio, I will be swinging it.

Gregory Hines. Tapping.

I must have missed the 7X in St. Louis. Other than the Ping Anser, I wasn't having much luck swinging the big stick, so I couldn't really get a good read on the 4X I swung, other than it seemed a little tougher than my Speeder. If there is a 7X in Ohio, I will be swinging it.

Gregory Hines. Tapping.
Me and that speeder do not get along at all. The 5x is such a smooth shaft to swing. Don't get me wrong you need to still swing it to get what you want our of it but the ball seems to hang in the air and the lines are so tight. It's like a slow drawn out turn in one direction the other. Sorta like a bending beam of light that just hangs there for you to marvel at.

Gregory Hines. Tapping.

There was a 7x on a Razr Fit in Atlanta. That shaft is outstanding. Lower trajectory flight with very little side movement. I did not want to let it go.

The range that we were hitting into had an uphill slope, so it was tough to gauge the distance after about 220 yards (maybe even a little less). I have no clue on distance with the B Asha, but the trajectory and line were fantastic. I only wish the Classic was already adjustable so that I could have thrown the 7x into my driver for a few swings.

For those of you who have hit the the B. Asha and a Miyazaki Blue, what would be a similar B. Asha in terms of a mid to mid-high flight? The 4 or 5 series?

For those of you who have hit the the B. Asha and a Miyazaki Blue, what would be a similar B. Asha in terms of a mid to mid-high flight? The 4 or 5 series?
I really liked the 4S for my swing. I saw a nice mid-high flight with it, and was putting a nice move on the ball.

I really liked the 4S for my swing. I saw a nice mid-high flight with it, and was putting a nice move on the ball.

Thanks, War! Just looking over this thread and some info on Miya's website has me thinking about a B. Asha for my Classic. I love my Blue, but my goodness the reviews here are phenomenal and it's a thing of beauty to boot.

To me they feel completely different. You can feel the load on the blue which I didn't feel on the 4s. The B Asha acts as one shaft delivering the energy at the point of impact. This was accomplished with out feeling a huge flex or delivery into the ball

To me they feel completely different. You can feel the load on the blue which I didn't feel on the 4s. The B Asha acts as one shaft delivering the energy at the point of impact. This was accomplished with out feeling a huge flex or delivery into the ball

Very interesting...so could it be said that the B Asha is "smoother" feeling for you than the Blue?

Very interesting...so could it be said that the B Asha is "smoother" feeling for you than the Blue?

To me yes, I've not swung a shaft quite like B asha before. It had all the chars rustics of a heavy shaft like the Ei70 that I played in the mid 90s. But doesn't have the harsh feel heavy feel.
I know the shaft is flexing it just not as noticeable. SMOOTH is exactly how I would describe it. The right set up with activate if swung correctly. Does that make sense. It's a hole lotta shaft that a great many can be affective with.

To me yes, I've not swung a shaft quite like B asha before. It had all the chars rustics of a heavy shaft like the Ei70 that I played in the mid 90s. But doesn't have the harsh feel heavy feel.
I know the shaft is flexing it just not as noticeable. SMOOTH is exactly how I would describe it. The right set up with activate if swung correctly. Does that make sense. It's a hole lotta shaft that a great many can be affective with.

Man, I need to try this shaft sometime. I'm pretty sure it will be the stock shaft in the non-adjustable 2013 Classic, which I hope to swing next year. It just seems like Miyazaki has made a shaft that just plain works with a lot of different types of golfers....a lightweight and flexible version for slower swing speeds, but also a stout enough version in the X flexes for the bombers like G4L and the like.

Me as well Nate. This one has had my attention from the get go, I'd love to drop some weight from the Kusala but maintain the low spin.

I cannot WAIT to try this shaft out in Ohio, I am so pumped! I don't think I've been so excited to swing a shaft before, this is gonna be great.

I cannot WAIT to try this shaft out in Ohio, I am so pumped! I don't think I've been so excited to swing a shaft before, this is gonna be great.

Can't wait to hear what you think IN, especially if it's in the Fit still and you can compare it to your Project X Black!

I have neglected this thread so just caught up. I have never really played around with shafts in my driver. I've always used the stock shafts, mostly because I lack in my shaft knowledge. Now that Canadan and Jrod have given this shaft a big thumbs up, I'm interested. I didn't get a chance to hit it in Iowa but will keep this shaft on my radar this winter.

Finally got a chance to listen to this....

Oh man I need me some B. Asha 5 series love. These shafts sound sweet and I really need to get a chance to hit these. Hopefully I will be able to in two weeks!

I have neglected this thread so just caught up. I have never really played around with shafts in my driver. I've always used the stock shafts, mostly because I lack in my shaft knowledge. Now that Canadan and Jrod have given this shaft a big thumbs up, I'm interested. I didn't get a chance to hit it in Iowa but will keep this shaft on my radar this winter.

Hah, thanks for the shout out Nate! I really was overwhelmed by the variety of offerings and overall quality of the B.Asha. Just a very dynamic shaft that changes with every variable (from 4s to 5x is a huge jump. From 5x to 7x is a huge jump)

I'm really excited to see if it sneaks into one of Cleveland's drivers in 2013.

I'd be surprised if it didn't.... :alien:

I am fairly confident I read that there may be a B.Asha offering but it'll be a 'made for' design a lot like we saw with the C.Kua

images

Not a bad thing, but man, the B.Asha is stunning as is!

After listening to the radio interview again this morning I really want to try the 4 out. Also Miyazaki just has it right with their flex code, why other companies do not use this is absurd IMO.

After listening to the radio interview again this morning I really want to try the 4 out. Also Miyazaki just has it right with their flex code, why other companies do not use this is absurd IMO.

Completely agree about the flex code. It makes it so much easier when selecting a shaft. Since THP first announced this shaft it has been the front runner to be in my driver come next spring. Will be good hearing the reviews from THPers before making a decision.

After listening to the interview again things are a little clearer. That 7 series seem like its close to swinging #4 rebar. So in a 4 digit series of the shaft number which is broken down but 10 inch increments for the first 30" from the butt of the club, and the remaining 15" to the tip. Each number describes a sections international flex code standard set my Miyazaki. Is setting the tip stiffer going to achieve the same result as like a hard step? Or am I confused as usual and how much deviation from section to section is recomended?

Last edited:
After listening to the interview again things are a little clearer. That 7 series seem like its close to swinging #4 rebar. So in a 4 digit series of the shaft number which is broken down but 10 inch increments for the first 30" from the butt of the club, and the remaining 15" to the tip. Each number describes a sections international flex code standard set my Miyazaki. Is setting the tip stiffer going to achieve the same result as like a hard step? Or am I confused as usual and how much deviation from section to section is recomended?

I think if you took a 5S and trimmed at the tip that would be more in line with a hard step. But just going with standard (stiff or X) flex and trim the butt isn't the same.

Completely agree about the flex code. It makes it so much easier when selecting a shaft. Since THP first announced this shaft it has been the front runner to be in my driver come next spring. Will be good hearing the reviews from THPers before making a decision.

Defiantly dude. But it has to beat its brethren out first.

Figured with all of the talk about the new Cleveland products over the last few days this show might be worth listening to again.

Back