Miyazaki JDL Shaft Review Thread

Your friend's man-cave sounds awesome. Good luck with testing, Wess!

Your friend's man-cave sounds awesome. Good luck with testing, Wess!

Ya I will take some pictures. It's pretty dang cool!!

The R11s tips have arrived and will be shafting the JDL 6s up tomorrow as well as the B. Asha and 6m3. So stoked to do a big shootout like this. A local guy that I have made friends with recently has a crazy man cave with a Foresight GC2 launch monitor and all the add-ons and ability to play courses is going to let me get some good hard evidence this weekend. So I should have a big write-up coming next week in both threads.

This sounds awesome Wess . It'll be grand to see some specs on these beauties.

i just up graded to a UST pro force 6s black 6530 for my 910 . I need to get it to a monitor to see how my choice specs out. I'm Loving finding the fairways more often now.:clapp:

i just up graded to a UST pro force 6s black 6530 for my 910 . I need to get it to a monitor to see how my choice specs out. I'm Loving finding the fairways more often now.:clapp:

Nice pickup shark.
Finding fairways is a great thing and :miyazaki: has made it much easier with their new line of shafts!! I can't wait to see how the JDL stacks up!!

As stated in the B. Asha thread the JDL 6s is now shafted up with a R11 tip. Hopefully the 9 degree R11s head will arrive soon. Either today or Friday. I'm hoping today so I can't get out tomorrow morning.

As stated in the B. Asha thread the JDL 6s is now shafted up with a R11 tip. Hopefully the 9 degree R11s head will arrive soon. Either today or Friday. I'm hoping today so I can't get out tomorrow morning.

I can't wait to hear your feedback buddy. I wish I could give mine a swing before next week. I am really exited for my maiden voyage with this bad boy.

I can't wait to hear your feedback buddy. I wish I could give mine a swing before next week. I am really exited for my maiden voyage with this bad boy.

I'm really excited to try all 3 shafts I have ready and I can't wait to jump on the launch monitor again.

Adapter arrived so off to PGA store to install!

I will have a write-up soon of what I think with this shaft. It does definitely perform and like Mr. Gillis said, it launches lower than then B. Asha.

I will have a write-up soon of what I think with this shaft. It does definitely perform and like Mr. Gillis said, it launches lower than then B. Asha.

Looking forward to it Wess!! I pick mine up tomorrow.

Looking forward to it Wess!! I pick mine up tomorrow.

I think you will be surprised Nate, for a shaft that will be going in the new Cleveland line it works well in the R11s.

JDL 6x First Round- 9 Holes

JDL 6x First Round- 9 Holes

Today I got out for the maiden voyage of the JDL 6x in my R9 460 set to neutral. I had it cut down to play at 45.5” just like the B. Asha and gripped it with a NDMC black/white grip. This shaft is simply stunning. I think I like the looks of it in the driver more than the B. Asha. The way the graphics pop and the nice sheen of the shaft is great to look down with and I think I paired it with a nice grip to complement it. It split time with the B. Asha today and I decided to go with the JDL on my back 9 (actually the front, but I played the back first).

When I stepped onto the tee box and plugged this shaft in the added weight over my B. Asha was evident. This shaft is about 11 grams heavier than the B. Asha I’ve been gaming for about a month, and it was quite different-feeling for me. My driver swing was awful today, but I did make some good swings on the JDL and got some good info from it. First off, when I hit it well, distance appeared to be roughly the same as what I am seeing with the B. Asha, maybe a bit more. There are a few tee shots where the landing areas are visible, and from what I could see, it appeared carry distance was less than usual for me, but it rolled out a bunch and that made up for it.

When you do get ahold of one with this shaft, it feels fantastic. The added weight makes it feel like I absolutely hammer it when I catch it nicely because I feel like there is just more mass behind it. This shaft seems fairly stable, though not as much for me as the B. Asha I don’t think. The “shaft shudder” when I hit one off center seems to be slightly more from what I can gather. It is more stable than the other shafts I have gamed in the past and still does a good job of cutting down the sideways movement. My swing was in hook mode today but I still didn’t take any penalties in 7 holes with the JDL (I threw down some extra balls on a few holes so I swung it probably 15 or so times total). I only hit 3/7 fairways on the side, which is low for me, but they all stayed in play which was nice.

Mr. Gillis said that this shaft would probably launch lower than the B. Asha I currently have, and I found that to be true. The flight is not too much lower mind you, but enough that I can notice it. I would say it gives me a mid to mid-low flight and I’m thinking that’s why it carried less for me. What I did see today is that the JDL appears to have very similar flight characteristics to the B. Asha. The flight pattern looks the same (goes up for maybe a third of the way, then slowly descends the rest of the way), but it just doesn’t peak as high. I think this may have to do with the added weight and the fact that the shaft is slightly stiffer. They have similar flex codes with the B Asha being 7854 and the JDL being 7765 and that definitely showed out on the course for me today.

Like I said, my driver swing wasn’t all there today and I found that this shaft was a bit more forgiving distance-wise for me on off-center hits. I still lost distance, but I was still a bit further up than on my misses with the B. Asha. I am not sure if that is because my miss today was a hook or something else. One thing I did think it could possibly be is that I get more roll with this shaft. If the mis-hits carry the same (not sure if they do or not) and this one rolls out more, then that could account for the difference.

Overall it wasn’t a bad day out with the new shaft. Next time out there are some other things I will be looking for and I may set it up in loft to see if that improves my carry distance. I should be able to get out again this Saturday and Sunday, so there will be more feedback coming then. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to respond quickly and thoroughly. Thanks again to THP and Miyazaki for this testing opportunity!

Picked up the new Miyazaki JDL shaft with the Cobra Amp adapter installed yesterday and snapped a few pics with my iphone today:

8222DB2A-C30F-4E3C-A7BA-8A2F93A97057-2113-000001C1CF483081.jpg

60658459-4FEB-4656-9789-2890AC133AFA-2113-000001C1BB1F28CF.jpg

4F149B72-0AC0-4AA5-9DB8-F1F0D4B62336-2113-000001C36C7EF94A.jpg

The shaft is really quite stunning when you first look at it up close. This shaft is going to look great with the new Classic if indeed this is what will be going into the driver next year. But I have to say, it looks pretty good with the Amp silver head. My first crack at this shaft will be this weekend. Stay tuned......

Looks great can't wait to hear your thoughts. What is your flex code?

First two range sessions
Ball used: Range
Wind: Day 1: 2-4mph and Day 2: 8-10 fromthe left into the face
Temp: 60*
Driver head: R11s 9*
Shaft: JDL 6s

Range session one

The first range day I had with thisshaft was not at my normal range and it was also a completely new driver head.So I started out by warming up with irons and then moving into the B. Asha andthe 6m3. Once I dialed in both those two shafts I installed the JDL 6s and wentto town.

First glance down at the white R11s headwith shaft is stunning. They just work so well together and make it look likethis shaft could be offered by TM. For this first range session I lefteverything standard on the driver head and set to neutral. The ball flight waslower than what I was seeing with the B. Asha as well as more penetrating. Mr.Gillis had said that we would probably see a lower ball flight with this shaftand I did which was a nice change.

Distance was on par with the B. Asha.Maybe a couple balls flew further, but because this range was straight uphillthere was no real way to calculate distance.

The side spin seemed a little more noticeablethan the B. Asha, but I was only off my target line by a max of 20 yards whenmishit.

All in all it was a great firstimpression on what to expect.

Range session two

The second range session was the daythat I wanted to really mess around with loft and get a feel for distance. Iwas back at my normal grass range that is ever so slightly uphill. I startedoff with my typical warm up and worked into my driver. I was hitting the ballpretty well and once again saw a mid ball flight compared to the B. Asha. I wasstill seeing a more penetrating ball flight with a little bit of roll out.

Distance can be tough to judge at thisrange since it is uphill, with crap range balls, and a little wind in the face,but I lasered the back flag and it was right at 248 up the hill. I was carryingthis and then seeing roll out. So I don’t know total distance.

After 20 or so balls I messed aroundwith the loft. First I upped it to 10* and was getting a big high draw then Ilowered it to 8* and was seeing a low cut. It was kind of what I was expectingsince my swing seemed dialed in this day.

Next I decided to go after it; when I wentafter it with the B. Asha my miss was a little push right. When I went after itwith the JDL 6s my miss was way right, I’m talking so right that I would startto lose balls if I didn’t square it. Obviously I think it’s more the indian notthe arrow, but it was definitely not as forgiving as the B. Asha. It actuallyreminded me of the 6m3 a bit when I missed it while really going aft it.

All in all I was still impressed withhow this shaft reacted. I actually let a guy on the range hit all 3 shafts Ihad and this was the shaft he said he liked best. It was a shocker to him whenI gave him the weight as he was swinging a mid to high 60 gram shaft and thisone is at 59 grams.

Looks great can't wait to hear your thoughts. What is your flex code?
It's the 6S, 5543 International Flex code

Darn you Wess!!! I'm getting out tomorrow with the Amp/JDL combo to see what happens. You beat me to it! Ha!

Good info guys. Pretty cool to see four distinct weight ranges with the same flex code.

That's a fine looking combo there Nate. Hope it treats you nice!

Some very interesting thoughts Nate!! Seems like if the B.Asha is a touch more stout, the added whip through lag would probably cause your hands to get a touch more out ahead of the ball leading to your noted cut.. At least it makes sense!!

I'll be hitting both the B.Asha 4x and the JDL 6x MAYBE tomorrow, but DEFINITELY Sunday and will have a mess of thoughts as the weekend closes. I am SO pumped to see what they are like in comparison to one another!

Back