Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Played 9 at my home course today after my team had practice. 43 with two really stupid double bogeys. My Callaway Forged Wedges continue to be a serious strength in my game right now. I need to keep the dumb thing in the fairway off the tee.

Today it was such a beautiful day and I started my day early so I took a 2 hour lunch and headed to the course. I played 3 holes, and hit every FW and ever GIR but it was slow and I was there to work on my game so I went to the range.
What I was there to work on was my set up on every shot. I've recently found that every time I hit a poor shot, its because I set up poorly to the ball and from there nothing can go right. Its ok to have a bad swing once in a while, but in my mind, there is no excuse for not having a perfect set up every time, so I spend time developing a pre shot routine that just sort of added in triggers to remind me to set up properly, and not get lazy when addressing the ball. It went really well and then I putted for a while.
I feel really good about my game right now, and am really looking forward to this golf season.

That's a good point, Breezy. I tend to really have a problem with that when I have an uneven lie or weird angle. It's like I never had a chance due to the setup.

Today it was such a beautiful day and I started my day early so I took a 2 hour lunch and headed to the course. I played 3 holes, and hit every FW and ever GIR but it was slow and I was there to work on my game so I went to the range.
What I was there to work on was my set up on every shot. I've recently found that every time I hit a poor shot, its because I set up poorly to the ball and from there nothing can go right. Its ok to have a bad swing once in a while, but in my mind, there is no excuse for not having a perfect set up every time, so I spend time developing a pre shot routine that just sort of added in triggers to remind me to set up properly, and not get lazy when addressing the ball. It went really well and then I putted for a while.
I feel really good about my game right now, and am really looking forward to this golf season.

that's a really good point Breezy, I catch myself setting up to the ball and not feeling quite right...instead of backing off and starting over I go ahead and hit it and it's almost always a terrible shot!

I just need to take more time and make sure I am comfortable over the ball!

That may be one of the smartest things I have read on THP ever CB. So simple but so smart.

Lesson time. I've been really beating myself up after a rotten round and it was mostly due to a tee game that's been deteriorating for the last couple weeks. The thing is that I feel like I'm really hitting my irons well, but can't get it to work with the driver.

Some funny stats I took from my warm-up before the lesson.

7 iron swing speed hovered around 84-87 mph after getting loose.

The highest swing speed I saw with driver was:

Spoiler
92 mph

So yea, that's a real problem. I knew it was bad, but always nice to confirm. For reference, I was maxing out around 105-106 about a month ago. I'd love to say that we got it all worked out in the lesson, but we didn't. We did figure out the problem and worked on a solution. Now I just need to practice it. Basically the same old crap. Swinging with arms. Leaving my hips out of the equation. I don't know why, but I feel like it's really tough to get my big muscles working with the driver at times.

Worked on widening out my swing and holding my backswing a split second - just enough time to crank my hips. In the end, I was able to get myself up in the 98-99 mph range. Lots of work to do on this as I know I have it in me. On a good note, I was a good deal straighter at the end.

I took one positive out of the whole thing. In the past, I'd go to my lesson and it wouldn't be just one thing not working. My irons would suck, wedges, driver, everything basically. Tonight I went in with a good iron and wedge swing at least.

I am going to play for the first time in a week and a half tonight. I can't wait to see how I do. I also can't wait to band the J40 off the tee. We play the whites and 1 of the par 4's is reachable and two more are reachable if conditions are favorable. I can't wait to go out there and have fun and pull the driver as much as possible.

Hope you get out there and kill it Seth

Lesson time. I've been really beating myself up after a rotten round and it was mostly due to a tee game that's been deteriorating for the last couple weeks. The thing is that I feel like I'm really hitting my irons well, but can't get it to work with the driver.

Some funny stats I took from my warm-up before the lesson.

7 iron swing speed hovered around 84-87 mph after getting loose.

The highest swing speed I saw with driver was:

Spoiler
92 mph

So yea, that's a real problem. I knew it was bad, but always nice to confirm. For reference, I was maxing out around 105-106 about a month ago. I'd love to say that we got it all worked out in the lesson, but we didn't. We did figure out the problem and worked on a solution. Now I just need to practice it. Basically the same old crap. Swinging with arms. Leaving my hips out of the equation. I don't know why, but I feel like it's really tough to get my big muscles working with the driver at times.

Worked on widening out my swing and holding my backswing a split second - just enough time to crank my hips. In the end, I was able to get myself up in the 98-99 mph range. Lots of work to do on this as I know I have it in me. On a good note, I was a good deal straighter at the end.

I took one positive out of the whole thing. In the past, I'd go to my lesson and it wouldn't be just one thing not working. My irons would suck, wedges, driver, everything basically. Tonight I went in with a good iron and wedge swing at least.

Nice Hawk, that's probably the biggest issue the instructor pointed out to me at GolfTEC was that I was swinging mostly arms and my hips were coming in late which was causing the OTT move and robbing me of power...I bought one of those cheap little weigthed swing trainers and have been taking 50-60 slow deliberate swings a night with it....so far it seems to help

I am going to play for the first time in a week and a half tonight. I can't wait to see how I do. I also can't wait to band the J40 off the tee. We play the whites and 1 of the par 4's is reachable and two more are reachable if conditions are favorable. I can't wait to go out there and have fun and pull the driver as much as possible.

Have a good round man! Have fun!

Just made a time to tee it up tomorrow with new THPer Steele......going to put in some short game practice this evening to get ready.

Just made a time to tee it up tomorrow with new THPer Steele......going to put in some short game practice this evening to get ready.

Nice TBT. Put a whooping on him MC style. hahaha

Nice TBT. Put a whooping on him MC style. hahaha

I'll try....dude swings one of those Krank Long Drive Drivers...and hits it FAR!

So as I mentioned I posted a video of my iron swing looking for a little help from an expert eye. While the GolfTEC guys haven't responded Freddie was awesome and broke it down for me in several different still shots pointing out what I'm doing well and what he sees I should work on. I couldn't get to the range to work on this before my round with Esox on Sunday but have since gotten out for a big long range session and the improvement is almost immediate (not a huge change and something I've been told to stop doing before). I went out tonight and played 9 holes to get a gauge of how things will be going into my trip this week. Man it feels so good to hit the ball solidly with my irons again, the distance is back and I'm already getting confidence. I had 2 bogeys and a birdie for a +1 36 on the back 9. I missed a couple of greens left but each time was pin high or just beyond and my wedge game was solid enough to convert pars. 1 of the 2 bogeys was just a sloppy bump and run that most of the time will result in a par and the other bogey came after a poor drive left me 215 to the hole on the 450 yard par 4 14th. Otherwise it was a solid day and I'm really looking forward to a 3 day weekend of match play team competition with some buddies.

Thanks for your help Freddie, I'm not completely fixed yet but man I'm sure on the right path already!

Anytime my man, I'm just glad it's clicking for you brother. See you in three weeks

It was a gorgeous day here in SW Florida, mid 70's and the wind was under 20 mph for a change so I made my way to the practice range to get some work in.

Started off with the 588 wedges from around the green. One shot that gets me nervous is that 30 yard chip over a bunker to a short sided pin. Dropped about 50 balls and worked on this shot with both the 54*&58* from thick bermuda rough and tightly mown bermuda. Wasn't getting them real tight consistently but I only messed up once and dropped one in the bunker, I was at least giving myself 12-15' putts vs a bunker shot.

Switched up and spent 30 minutes on the putting green using the gate drill to improve contact. This drill was eye opening for me, I was fine on putts inside 10' but anything longer I get really poor contact typically towards the heel. Finally got the stroke online and saw much better results so I moved on to long lags and those little knee knocking putts that lead to drinking and cursing.

Took the sticks over to the range for some full swing practice afterwards. Started out with the 50* 588 since I've been having trouble on course with this one, specifically hitting those 110-120 yard shots. Those tend to get a bit high on me and don't travel as far as I need them to. No real progress there so I praticed knockdown shots with the PW and 9I. I need a lot more practice! Recently I've gotten a little sloppy off the tee so I spent a great deal of time hitting driver. Drove the ball wonderfully, zero exaggeration there. Contact was dead center and consistent, hooray! Moved through the bag and hit every club with pretty fair success, little silliness with the hybrid but that was to be expected.

Thought I would get in a quick practice round since the range time was so good, yeah I should've stayed on the range. Chicken wing swings suck.

--
Tapatalk2

So as I mentioned I posted a video of my iron swing looking for a little help from an expert eye. While the GolfTEC guys haven't responded Freddie was awesome and broke it down for me in several different still shots pointing out what I'm doing well and what he sees I should work on. I couldn't get to the range to work on this before my round with Esox on Sunday but have since gotten out for a big long range session and the improvement is almost immediate (not a huge change and something I've been told to stop doing before). I went out tonight and played 9 holes to get a gauge of how things will be going into my trip this week. Man it feels so good to hit the ball solidly with my irons again, the distance is back and I'm already getting confidence. I had 2 bogeys and a birdie for a +1 36 on the back 9. I missed a couple of greens left but each time was pin high or just beyond and my wedge game was solid enough to convert pars. 1 of the 2 bogeys was just a sloppy bump and run that most of the time will result in a par and the other bogey came after a poor drive left me 215 to the hole on the 450 yard par 4 14th. Otherwise it was a solid day and I'm really looking forward to a 3 day weekend of match play team competition with some buddies.

Thanks for your help Freddie, I'm not completely fixed yet but man I'm sure on the right path already!

man that was really cool of him!

Okay league starts tomorrow night and I'm gonna play 18 in the afternoon. It's supposed to be nice out finally so I'm gonna work on putting and a little tip Canadan gave me. I'm excited to really get working.

Fear the Frog!! Amphibians can Tapatalk

Okay league starts tomorrow night and I'm gonna play 18 in the afternoon. It's supposed to be nice out finally so I'm gonna work on putting and a little tip Canadan gave me. I'm excited to really get working.

Good luck man!

--
Tapatalk2

Thanks. I have a feeling I'm going to have a great golf year.

Stayed in a hotel by a golf course. Thats prep

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Stayed in a hotel by a golf course. Thats prep

Did you just absorb the good golf being played just by being near it?

Did you just absorb the good golf being played just by being near it?

Yes...i just visualized good golf shots. And beating jakes ass

One-T doesn't absorb. Others absorb his awesomeness

This is a true story. I turn people into sponges

I'll probably hit the ball a lot of times with my driver tonight at the range. Worked on some of the drills from my lesson in the yard last night. I thought back to when I was hitting the driver well and realized I was just turning my back towards the target and ripping at it. That's what I'm going to do tonight.

Back