My experience with TM Performance Labs

Spank818

Brian Gaysian
Reaction score
Handicap
TMEX 4.19
Well I just got back from SoCal (specifically OC, LA, and Palm Desert) and I thought I would share my experience at the TaylorMade Performance Lab in Palm Desert, California. First, I want to apologize for the long post as I want to make sure that I can describe this as best I can for folks that are thinking about trying this or have been curious about the experience altogether. Second, I want to thank Jennifer at the Palm Desert TMPL for not only providing the fitting but also being very patient with me as I asked a bunch of questions. I learned a lot about not only equipment but my swing which makes the cost all worth it.

That leads me to why I decided to go ahead and go through with this experience. First off I want to let folks know that I am not a tour pro and would consider myself your average recreational golfer. I would probably fit in the category of those who don't take this game seriously enough to pay a considerable fee to see my average swing digitized and dissected for a teaching pro to see. I have only been playing this game 1.5 years regularly but I felt that my knowledge of the game and how equipment matters into it are above average (thanks to THP). I have been reading about the TMPL experience through others here on THP and through their website. http://www.tmplabs.com/ I saw that cost wise it was far more investment worthy to take that money and spend it on lessons and eventually go down this road when an opportunity came and I was more comfortable with my swing. Well, through my research I ended up "being a fan" on Facebook and this past July they posted that they were running a special for a full fitting at their Palm Desert location for $175 (normally $350) only in the month of August. The stars aligned since my trip to SoCal was to take me to Palm Desert and staying on the same property of the TMPL. After much Q&A and prodding from the boys here in THP (thanks guys!) I decided why not.

I confirmed everything with Jennifer through email and some details of the fitting that needed to be addressed. One was to wear a dark shirt so the MATT system would not reflect the imaging sensors and distort the rendering (I wore a navy blue shirt that even the small Slazenger logo on my left sleeve had to be folded because it was interfering with the sensors). Not needed but if you have it bring your shoes, glove and clubs. Show up at least 15 minutes early to warm up and answer a questionnaire for the fitter.

After all prelim stuff, Jennifer had me put on the "equipment" for the rendering. It wasn't at all too involved it just felt like I was putting on some spandex braces for the certain body parts. The clubs Jennifer had me use were also outfitted with the sensors and painted matte black so not to reflect light. I must admit that I'm not the most svelte of men and was glad to see the animation did not reflect the actual fitee size. :D

Jennifer had to take 5-6 readings of 3 clubs (driver, iron, putter) and as you would calculate that to max 18 swings it was more to 36-50 depending on the readings that MATT would get. Jennifer averaged out the numbers that would lock on with MATT and get a proposed fit sheet with actual numbers for readings that MATT took. Jennifer also would comment on my swing using the animation as a reference as well as the readings as a good, ok, could be better scenario. Overall, she was happy with my swing (she said that for 1.5 years my instructor should be commended for teaching me good fundamentals). She also wanted to tweak some of my swing since I was crouched too low and wanted me more upright with a better follow through (my back hip gets lazy at times). Through her golfer database (which was awesomely extensive) she picked Sean O'Hair's swing to match with mine (animation and real video wise) and pointed out how I can improve better by looking at his swing.

Now here's the reason why we just don't go to a computer simulator to get fit and need an actual teaching pro to complete the experience. As MATT spat out these club recommendations, Jennifer would pull certain shafts and clubs based on those and took me to the range to a) compare with my current clubs and b) confirm or decline MATT's recommendations. Jennifer saw that through my stance and swing action that I would compensate by a) flipping my hands or b) adjusting my clubhead on the R9. She grabbed a SuperTri head and a couple of shafts to try out. Based on everything she learned about me she recommended to go with a heavier shaft (to help combat the flipping or manipulation of the club as how she says it) with low torque (for my quick transition) in a stiff shaft. For irons, MATT spouted out that I needed to bend the irons 4 degrees flat and Jennifer was quick to point that it was mostly stance related and that it wouldn't be that drastic once I get more comfortable with an upright stance. She repeated the process with the irons, hybrid, and wedge and came to a conclusion of a final fit. I will list below what I have, what MATT recommends, and what Jennifer concluded I should get.

Overall the experience took 2 hrs and 15 mins. and none sooner because I was going to pass out from the desert heat if stayed out there any longer. I was sent home with a CD (which I have not looked over yet) and printouts of results and recommendations. There are perks for going through the process and purchasing or adjusting clubs through TaylorMade direct.

I was extremely happy with my overall experience and I would definitely recommend it to those who are thinking about doing it. It really doesn't matter what level your game is to experience something like this but as a forewarning it does help if you are familiar with some terminology and know some parts of your swing (do you slice, push, hook, pull, etc.). It was extremely enlightening to see your swing in that manner and extremely educational to learn about all the facets of your swing.

Thanks again to Jennifer for making my experience an A+. Like I told her numerous times, this had to be the coolest thing I've ever done up to date (in golfing terms). Top notch facility TaylorMade and I'm glad that you have places like this for us common folk to enjoy.

Here is my setup:

R9 9.5* w/ Aldila DVS 60-S L setting
TM R9 3W 15* S (Stock Fujikura Motore) L setting
Cleveland Launcher 3i 20.5* w/ Project X 5.5 (S) shaft
TM R7 TP 3-PW S (shafts are TT DG300S) 1 degree flat
Cleveland CG14 50*
Titleist Vokey SM '09 54*, 58*
Yes! Amy 31" 1 deg. flat

This is what MATT recommended:

Driver: R9 460 10.5* RE*AX 60 S Flex with NU-R FCT Setting
Woods: R9 Fairway
Hybrid: Rescue '09
All with moderate shaft weight and moderate/stiff tip flex
Irons: Burner '09 with light steel S flex 58.5 deg/4 deg flat .5" shorter 4-PW
Putter: 34" -1 deg on loft 4 deg flat on lie

What Jennifer's final recommendations are:

R9 SuperTri 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki 73S Neutral setting
R9 3w w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki 73S Neutral setting
Rescue '09 3H w/ VooDoo S shaft (this one she said that my hybrid was better suited for my swing)
Burner '09 Irons 4-AW 2* flat KBS90 S
XFT Wedge 54, 58 DGSL S, 1* flat.
No putter recommendations since she believes I have the right putter currently. Jennifer basically told me to stay away from putters that are heel/toe balanced and stick with a face balanced putter with a center shaft.

Glad to see they are putting you in an iron with more forgiveness. Surprised to see that much flat in irons, yet NU setting in driver. But MATT knows better. The process is awesome.

Great stuff Spank... I am extremely jealous of you at the moment. I would love to do this one day, especially as my bag is filled with Taylor Made goodies as it is. The PGA professional interaction along with the statistical monitoring is a great combo in my opinion.

Since you're going to the outing, can I assume you'll wait on your club purchases until after then? And I guess no matter what irons/woods you go with, you have a good idea of the shafts you can throw in them.

Thanks for the comprehensive writeup, awesome.

Glad to see they are putting you in an iron with more forgiveness. Surprised to see that much flat in irons, yet NU setting in driver. But MATT knows better. The process is awesome.

I figured as much JB for the irons. Although we'll see what TM has in store for the new year. I could go with whatever is new and equivalent but I'm sticking with the shafts (I actually hit some of the Adams CB2 demos at Golfsmith yesterday and the shafts felt good, the heads were not for me). Actually with Jennifer's recommendations she put on a 2* flat bend on the irons an told me to keep my driver with a more upright stance to N. I followed even with the current setup and noticed a big difference in ball flight. I think we deduced that my issues were 65% chief, 35% arrow.

Another thing to add that I forgot is when doing this please keep an open mind and be humble. Reason being is that I know that some folks might do this because of the "it's the arrow and not the indian" theory especially for the better players out there. I, for one, came into this for the learning experience and didn't mind the adjustments and tutoring.

Awesome stuff man. Ive always thought it was be a lot of fun to do that. Sounds like you had a good time and came away with some really good insights into your swing.

So lets talk about your putter. She didnt say it was too long??? Maybe you should go shorter? lmao

Great stuff Spank... I am extremely jealous of you at the moment. I would love to do this one day, especially as my bag is filled with Taylor Made goodies as it is. The PGA professional interaction along with the statistical monitoring is a great combo in my opinion.

Since you're going to the outing, can I assume you'll wait on your club purchases until after then? And I guess no matter what irons/woods you go with, you have a good idea of the shafts you can throw in them.

Thanks for the comprehensive writeup, awesome.

Yes, I actually told Jennifer about our little outing and she agreed that at the chance that I might win new irons or what not that I can purchase what's on the sheet with an infinite timeline. I can pretty much email her now some questions in regards to my setup and what would go good (for example I researched a little and asked her about the new Fubuki Alpha shafts an she told me no and that they were too flippy for me).

Also since you brought up that you have TM goodies, specifically for the irons, she said that since I have the R7 which would be suitable, since I did the fitting that I can get them bent to our desired specs through TM's factory with their special adjustment machine (sorry but I forgot the name of it) which is used by tour pros. All I have to do is contact her and I just have to pay for shipping and they would take care of the adjustments for me. Pretty damn kewl if you asked me!

Awesome stuff man. Ive always thought it was be a lot of fun to do that. Sounds like you had a good time and came away with some really good insights into your swing.

So lets talk about your putter. She didnt say it was too long??? Maybe you should go shorter? lmao

Definitely... I was surprised she didn't recommend me to go side saddle! :D

She actually said that if there were things I wouldn't change in your bag it is 1) putter, 2) hybrid. So hahahaha the 31" lives!!! :D

Definitely... I was surprised she didn't recommend me to go side saddle! :D

She actually said that if there were things I wouldn't change in your bag it is 1) putter, 2) hybrid. So hahahaha the 31" lives!!! :D

lol she must not have seen just how short it was!

Did she say anything about balls? Like recommendations or anything of the sort?

Also since you brought up that you have TM goodies, specifically for the irons, she said that since I have the R7 which would be suitable, since I did the fitting that I can get them bent to our desired specs through TM's factory with their special adjustment machine (sorry but I forgot the name of it) which is used by tour pros. All I have to do is contact her and I just have to pay for shipping and they would take care of the adjustments for me. Pretty damn kewl if you asked me!

That is pretty damn cool. Suddenly you're in this elite TM club! 175 bucks seems like a small price to pay for all this ongoing goodness.

lol she must not have seen just how short it was!

Did she say anything about balls? Like recommendations or anything of the sort?

There was a note on the MATT sheet about balls and it recommended the Burner TP balls I think. No focus on it though and frankly it wasn't a focus of mine either. I'm comfortable with my current balls as I see fit. :D

What an experience..........This is definitely something on my list to do. So did the MATT say that you should be in 09 burners or was it a combination of the questionare and MATT?

There was a note on the MATT sheet about balls and it recommended the Burner TP balls I think. No focus on it though and frankly it wasn't a focus of mine either. I'm comfortable with my current balls as I see fit. :D

Interesting. Its always good to be comfortable in your current balls. lol.

That is pretty damn cool. Suddenly you're in this elite TM club! 175 bucks seems like a small price to pay for all this ongoing goodness.

A very small price. That's the main reason I jumped on it. I know that these things run up to $400 and this was too good to pass up.

What an experience..........This is definitely something on my list to do. So did the MATT say that you should be in 09 burners or was it a combination of the questionare and MATT?

MATT recommended the '09 Burners. On the range, I tried the R9 and Burners and the Burners won out. Jennifer said that since I didn't care much with looks, topline, and offset it didn't really matter much on the clubhead but to just make sure I get the shafts. She even said that in a pinch I can just keep my R7's and just reshaft since those can be moved forward to whatever clubhead feels good to me.

Sweet deal for sure! I am jealous of you!!

Spank,
Great to see that you did the fitting in California like you were talking about when I posted my review! What's funny is that you and I got recommended the EXACT same driver and fairway wood! I guess our swings may be pretty similar if that's the case. Anyways, great to hear that you enjoyed the TMPL experience as much as I did.

Great write-up, Spank. I'm glad that you decided to do this. Great timing, too!

really cool stuff spank. i hope that it was super informative and helpful for you. so, do you start putting that gear in the bag or what?

Spank,
Great to see that you did the fitting in California like you were talking about when I posted my review! What's funny is that you and I got recommended the EXACT same driver and fairway wood! I guess our swings may be pretty similar if that's the case. Anyways, great to hear that you enjoyed the TMPL experience as much as I did.

It wasn't much more the type of driver and wood but the shaft was the most important aspect of the fitting for me. If you look at it there's really only 2 drivers out there that I would pick up off the shelf from TM (SuperTri and SuperFast) and the SuperFast was too light for my type swing. Same concept for the 3 wood. I think what helped the most was the instruction I got from Jennifer which was more on an individual basis. I read your review and it is pretty much spot on to my experience as well as some others on here that went through the same. It's also good to see (and kudos to TM for this) that we haven't had one bad experience out of all of us that tried this.

Great write-up, Spank. I'm glad that you decided to do this. Great timing, too!

Yeah, the timing couldn't have been better. If they ever come up with a sale for the Chicago location, I suggest you try it as well hawk.

really cool stuff spank. i hope that it was super informative and helpful for you. so, do you start putting that gear in the bag or what?

Nah man, I'm waiting until after the outing to maybe adjust. One step at a time since I don't have a budget that OEM has. :D

Spank - Your writeup just popped up as a link from Taylormade Performance Labs on Facebook

Thats awesome! hopefully one day I can do this!

And TM performance labs on facebook has a link to this review up!

edit: ad beat me to it lol

Spank - Your writeup just popped up as a link from Taylormade Performance Labs on Facebook

Nice... gotta go check it out. Gotta give props to whoever can get me to play better. :D

Great write-up Spank, what I made it through so far. TMPL's sound like the coolest thing and I hope to get there one day myself. I only got through your first part, but will wade through this in detail tomorrow and will bug the heck out of you in Florida, haha. Thanks for sharing!

Back