New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

I don’t chip much at all with those clubs. I pretty much just use the 52 and the 58 wedges around the greens. If we didn’t have 2 feet of snow, I would go try them and tell you. :cry:
GW is fun.

@Tenputt @tanker337 how are the 7-PW on touch greenside shots?
That will be something I plan to focus on in upcoming rounds. I went with 6-GW. I don't normally use the set GW, but I'm hoping that will change with this set.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I was at PGA Superstore Saturday & was able to hit a few with these & the previous version (Forged Tec Black). Unfortunately the monitor in the bay I was in wasn't working, but at least I got to swing a few times with it. I was hitting the 5i One length version of both irons.

Without seeing the numbers, I preferred the FTB more than the 2020s. The 2020s felt good & look nice at address, but he FTBs look sexy behind the ball & felt great.

I'll book a fitting at some point to get time on the launch monitor to see how they produce. I'm also going to wait until Sub 70 releases their 699 Pro irons as well before making a decision. I demo'd their regular 699 irons & liked them, but the 699 Pro is supposed to have less offset & thinner top line.

Really excited to get these out with the Mitsubishi MMT shafts in them this week. Keep a keen eye on this thread and that one as I hope to update both of them. Weather looks like it is going to hold so let’s gooooooooooooo!:p

I was at PGA Superstore Saturday & was able to hit a few with these & the previous version (Forged Tec Black). Unfortunately the monitor in the bay I was in wasn't working, but at least I got to swing a few times with it. I was hitting the 5i One length version of both irons.

Without seeing the numbers, I preferred the FTB more than the 2020s. The 2020s felt good & look nice at address, but he FTBs look sexy behind the ball & felt great.

I'll book a fitting at some point to get time on the launch monitor to see how they produce. I'm also going to wait until Sub 70 releases their 699 Pro irons as well before making a decision. I demo'd their regular 699 irons & liked them, but the 699 Pro is supposed to have less offset & thinner top line.

Have you played Hollow body irons before? Do you think the KFTB black being preferred feel wise is due to the head makeup?

Have you played Hollow body irons before? Do you think the KFTB black being preferred feel wise is due to the head makeup?
Haven't played them, but have demo'd several sets. The PXG Gen 2 felt the best of all the hollow body irons I've tried, but I'm not paying that much for a set of irons.

I'm sure the FTBs being a cavity back had a lot to do with the feel.

Was able to test the Cobras again on a Trackman 4 with a variety of shafts. This time though I had my new to me C300 Forged set for comparison purposes. While I liked the Cobras, they simply lagged behind the Wilsons in every metric important to me. The Wilsons had better front to back dispersion, was better feeling to me and I like the Wilson at address better. I'm not really opposed to offset but the PW in the Cobra looks to have more offset than the 5 iron (I have not checked the actual numbers and suspect it is an optical illusion rather than an actual measurement). Very happy so far with the C300 Forged.

Was able to test the Cobras again on a Trackman 4 with a variety of shafts. This time though I had my new to me C300 Forged set for comparison purposes. While I liked the Cobras, they simply lagged behind the Wilsons in every metric important to me. The Wilsons had better front to back dispersion, was better feeling to me and I like the Wilson at address better. I'm not really opposed to offset but the PW in the Cobra looks to have more offset than the 5 iron (I have not checked the actual numbers and suspect it is an optical illusion rather than an actual measurement). Very happy so far with the C300 Forged.

Were you fit for the C300s? What shafts do you have in them and did the Forged Tecs have the same shafts?

Were you fit for the C300s? What shafts do you have in them and did the Forged Tecs have the same shafts?

I worked as a fitter for years and have access to Trackman so I generally do my own set ups (although I do go to other fitters to have their eyes on what I am doing). I have the KBS Tours in the Wilsons and had the same exact set up in the Cobras.

Got a chance to hit these again with a different shaft than the AMT Red which was available at the Ultimate Weekend of Golf. The feel is just superb with no harshness that others have mentioned. I also found them very easy to hit and they just wanted to go high and straight.

I was a bit surprised they were shorter than I was expecting considering the lofts, but this could have been a shaft issue. I was getting 164 out of the 7 iron with 6,600 spin which is the same I get from my current 7 iron which is 4* weaker. Regardless, I'm glad I got to give them another go around and came away really impressed.

They aren't long, I would say numbers are pretty similar to all the others in their range. Not sure they are short, either, but they aren't bombers. But they have a very straight flight and the launch and landing are excellent. Very good iron for its category.

Got a chance to hit these again with a different shaft than the AMT Red which was available at the Ultimate Weekend of Golf. The feel is just superb with no harshness that others have mentioned. I also found them very easy to hit and they just wanted to go high and straight.

I was a bit surprised they were shorter than I was expecting considering the lofts, but this could have been a shaft issue. I was getting 164 out of the 7 iron with 6,600 spin which is the same I get from my current 7 iron which is 4* weaker. Regardless, I'm glad I got to give them another go around and came away really impressed.

what shafts?

They aren't long, I would say numbers are pretty similar to all the others in their range. Not sure they are short, either, but they aren't bombers. But they have a very straight flight and the launch and landing are excellent. Very good iron for its category.

I beg to differ. These irons are very long for me.

I beg to differ. These irons are very long for me.

Same here. At least at my fitting they were but I don’t have any reason to believe it won’t translate to the course

Was down in Scottsdale for a work trip and made my way to a PGA superstore to kill some time. Ended up hitting a 6i in the new forged tec. Been really wanting to try these out because of the price point, Cobra's new trade in program and the fact they look so damn nice. In person...they do look really nice. Top line is passable - thinner IMO that the MP 20 HMBs. Feel wise - I was impressed with how soft they were but I could still feel (somewhat) my mishits. The thing I couldn't peel my eyes off of was how long they were. I was hitting around 190 for a 6i. I had one at 201 yds. I've always found sims/bays to be generous with yardage but my typical 6i (apex cf16) would play 175-178 in the real world.

So, maybe generous settings on the sim coupled with a really hot face coupled with slightly stronger lofts - it's tempting but I'm wanting to go a bit weaker in lofts now. Not sure if I'd want to bend these 2-3 degrees weaker.

Bump, anymore updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, hey y’all.

ABDC3F6A-6EC1-4FE5-A85C-3BC93AA56C0C.jpeg

924B5709-4F5A-4A81-8F19-C52884A272C9.jpeg

9CB403A2-DDBE-471D-BE24-E9502616E3DD.jpeg

Those shafts and ferrules on that club are hot looking. Nice job.

That is a great looking set of irons.

Back