Rumor has it that Paterno is gone. Just saw it on Twitter. Let me rephrase..... Penn State is preparing for Paterno's departure is what I read.

I read that this weeks game against our Nebraska Huskers would be his last game, if so I may chose not to watch. I couldn't stand a huge tribute parade. I have no idea how aware he was, but now its all just too ugly to comprehend.

I read that this weeks game against our Nebraska Huskers would be his last game, if so I may chose not to watch. I couldn't stand a huge tribute parade. I have no idea how aware he was, but now its all just too ugly to comprehend.

Yeah I can imagine it is going to be really really weird. I think he should just walk away. Make it easy on everyone (as easy as can be for the victims, obviously). No tribute- he has the record. Leave it at that.

The more I think about this, the more it bothers me. So 9 years ago Paterno sent the info he got upstairs to his "bosses". Then puts it out of his mind. So out of his mind that Sanduskey can hang around the program for the next nine years. Did he have no contact with the guy? Did he at the least never say, "Hey, there's ol' Jerry Sandusky my old D-coordinator. I wonder what ever happened after I turned him in to the University for having sex with a little boy in OUR locker room shower?"

Something stinks.

Kevin

This whole story reeks of irresponsibility, carelessness and cronyism all combined. The police should have been notified immediately. For someone who is as much a perfectionist as most great football coaches are there had to have been a conscious decision on his part to set this aside and not deal with it properly.

It could be....add to the fact that it's Senior Day this weekend and it's a perfect tiem to step down.....

Let the Urban Meyer rumors continue to spread.....

Not sure why Paterno is the focus here. There seem to be multiple people with direct access to the facts...witnesses, university police, etc. that ate catching zero heat for this. Pretty much we all agree based on what we have read jopop totally failed. I'd rather have words with the jackwagons that turned their heads over an old man repeating hearsay.

Not sure why Paterno is the focus here. There seem to be multiple people with direct access to the facts...witnesses, university police, etc. that ate catching zero heat for this. Pretty much we all agree based on what we have read jopop totally failed. I'd rather have words with the jackwagons that turned their heads over an old man repeating hearsay.

Because Joe Paterno knew about it. He was told what was happening. He decided to do the bare minimum of what he was required to do. He didn't go to the cops, all he did was tell the AD. The AD went and covered it up. Joe Paterno did the absolute minimum and in the process more kids were victimized. That is why Joe Paterno is a major focus here.

And because he is and was the face of the organization since ~1966?
Because Joe Paterno knew about it. He was told what was happening. He decided to do the bare minimum of what he was required to do. He didn't go to the cops, all he did was tell the AD. The AD went and covered it up. Joe Paterno did the absolute minimum and in the process more kids were victimized. That is why Joe Paterno is a major focus here.

Let's assume we can give Paterno the benefit of the doubt. He turned it over to his superiors. What did they tell him they did to take care of the situation? "Hey, Joe, we talked to Jerry. Apparently, the grad assistant was mistaken. It wasn't a sex act."

"Oh, that's cool. I'll keep the kid around as an assistant and Jerry can keep bringing little boys around."

It doesn't add up for me. Maybe I'm just bad at math.

Kevin

I became a PSU fan during the '87 Fiesta Bowl while rooting for everything that was right with PSU and Joe Pa vs everything that was wrong with Miami and Jimmy Johnson.

This hurts. As grotesque as this is I hope Joe Pa gets exonerated as much as possible from this ridiculous mess. He did report and, as narrow minded as it seems, I hope he assumed it was out of his hands at that point.

Gross spot and I really don't know what I'm spewing right now. I'm sick.

JoePa and Penn St are not & were not anybody than JJ and the Canes......but the media & NCAA football just needed a hero so they created one.

Sent from HTC EVO using Tapatalk.

I just read the Grand Jury report. To be honest, I had been avoiding it, but since I'm commenting here and other places I thought I should.

What an awful thing to read.

Kevin

I just don't understand this equal sharing of responsibility. Sandusky is the center of this and no one us talking about him. These janitors and this grad student are the next in line for responsibility....not sure how they can look at themselves in the mirror and call themselves men. Get your butt in there and beat the crap out if that rapist...or at least call 911.

Guys I know why paterno is at the center of this, he's a bug name and it gets everyone going when big names fall. But something is seriously wrong with the way this is playing out. It's becoming about paterno and it should be about helpless kids and cowards too afraid to do the right thing. How could those witnesses just walk away?! THAT is what's getting me tiled up.

I agree. But to be fair, Paterno turned a blind eye when he most certainly should not have. Sandusky is getting what he deserved. Paterno is the only guilty, or semi-guilty one left. People want to see blood in these kinds of issues, and in cases like these, rightfully so.

Id hate to see Pa go out like this, but he was done last year, and decided to have one more kick at the can. He was done at the end of this year regardless, but its still too bad the way hes going out.

I just don't understand this equal sharing of responsibility. Sandusky is the center of this and no one us talking about him. These janitors and this grad student are the next in line for responsibility....not sure how they can look at themselves in the mirror and call themselves men. Get your butt in there and beat the crap out if that rapist...or at least call 911.

Guys I know why paterno is at the center of this, he's a bug name and it gets everyone going when big names fall. But something is seriously wrong with the way this is playing out. It's becoming about paterno and it should be about helpless kids and cowards too afraid to do the right thing. How could those witnesses just walk away?! THAT is what's getting me tiled up.

Man after spending the day listening to local sports guys talk about this, hearing some more stuff I am sickened by the entire thing. I'm not feeling too well right now and so I will refrain from posting as I will probably say some things that are a little harsh. I will say I don't think JoePa deserves any sort of sympathy.

I agree. But to be fair, Paterno turned a blind eye when he most certainly should not have. Sandusky is getting what he deserved. Paterno is the only guilty, or semi-guilty one left. People want to see blood in these kinds of issues, and in cases like these, rightfully so.

Id hate to see Pa go out like this, but he was done last year, and decided to have one more kick at the can. He was done at the end of this year regardless, but its still too bad the way hes going out.

I am not so sure we should be hanging Paterno out yet. People seem to forget what Paterno has done in the past and how strict he has been as a disciplinarian while running that program. Not sure that he is the kind of guy to just turn his cheek. Lets let all of the facts come out before we make judgement. I personnally can not wait until the PSU actually allows him to speak. He has not been someone in the past who was afraid to tell people what he was really thinking...

Can him. Right now. Immediately.

It does not matter what Joe Pa did in the past. SO WHAT! He turned a blind eye and more children were raped. Lives destroyed that the great Joe Pa could have prevented. Suspend him, investigate him and charge as possible. The man is a football coach. Get him off his throne.

I am not so sure we should be hanging Paterno out yet. People seem to forget what Paterno has done in the past and how strict he has been as a disciplinarian while running that program. Not sure that he is the kind of guy to just turn his cheek. Lets let all of the facts come out before we make judgement. I personnally can not wait until the PSU actually allows him to speak. He has not been someone in the past who was afraid to tell people what he was really thinking...

Man after spending the day listening to local sports guys talk about this, hearing some more stuff I am sickened by the entire thing. I'm not feeling too well right now and so I will refrain from posting as I will probably say some things that are a little harsh. I will say I don't think JoePa deserves any sort of sympathy.

I feel ya Chunk. Someone needs a butt whoppin. They all do, but I'd start with those pansy witnesses that didn't protect the kiddos. I have to restrain myself out in public when I see kids being mistreated. Big burly coach in the shower with a kid....performing inhuman acts? One of us is leaving in an ambulance, probably me, but at least I'd do the right thing and this would have all stopped 13-14 years ago.

It does not matter what Joe Pa did in the past. SO WHAT! He turned a blind eye and more children were raped. Lives destroyed that the great Joe Pa could have prevented. Suspend him, investigate him and charge as possible. The man is a football coach. Get him off his throne.

I agree to some extent. However, this was not and is not a football issue. Sandusky was no longer a coach, and Paterno had no control/authority over what access he had to campus facilities. Furthermore, Paterno reported the matter to Schulz, the administrator who over saw Campus police.

That being said, Paterno had a direct line to the President and to the Board. He should have demanded Sandusky not be allowed on campus until this matter was investigated by the authorities. Also, wasn't he on the Board at Second Mile? Didn't he know that Sandusky was still involved in the program until 2008, despite the statement that PSU reported this incident to Second Mile's Board? There are just too many questions here that need to be answered!

Most of my anger/disbelief in the case is with McQueary. How can you see a 10 YO being raped and not intervene in any fashion? At the very least call the Police and stay onsight until they arrive to protect the kid. If he had done that, than this scumbag would have been locked up a long time ago! And I'd like to know why the DA decided not to file charges in 1998 when Sandusky admitted to inappropriate actions on the phone with a detective listening? There is so much blame to go around here it sickens me!

No news there. He was retiring this year regardless. Too bad hes forced out though.
No news? He was retiring anyways but too bad he's forced out now? I don't get your statement......how is he forced out then if he was already retiring?

The news here is that by the end of the day the school may/probably say, "Thanks Joe, but why don't you make your retirement date as of 11/10/11."

I don't remember Paterno saying that he was going to retire after this season prior to this whole mess. I think it is news.

Back