There's just a lot different about this i series line from previous lines. I like that PING embraced the progressive offset, and I personally think the CFS stock shaft is awesome. Very FST like in my opinion. I'm fortunate that my local GolfUSA has a wicked PING fitting cart and I've tested the i20 7iron with a plethora of shafts and for me, the CFS offers me some really legit #'s. If you want/like a heavier steel shaft, the CFS' are not for you, that's for sure. I think these are much more superior than the 15's in both a stylistic and performance approach. You just can't explain how good these are, they need to be experienced. I personally believe they are similar to the RXT's from Callaway in that someone can realistically enter the realm of GE irons without punishing themselves.

These are the same irons that Lee plays, correct?

These are the same irons that Lee plays, correct?

I thought so b/c I first saw these irons b/c of a picture he tweeted, but I don't know if they're in his bag or not to be honest.

I think I saw Wilson gaming them at the match play.

There's just a lot different about this i series line from previous lines. I like that PING embraced the progressive offset, and I personally think the CFS stock shaft is awesome. Very FST like in my opinion. I'm fortunate that my local GolfUSA has a wicked PING fitting cart and I've tested the i20 7iron with a plethora of shafts and for me, the CFS offers me some really legit #'s. If you want/like a heavier steel shaft, the CFS' are not for you, that's for sure. I think these are much more superior than the 15's in both a stylistic and performance approach. You just can't explain how good these are, they need to be experienced. I personally believe they are similar to the RXT's from Callaway in that someone can realistically enter the realm of GE irons without punishing themselves.

I think this is really the winning point for Ping. They have introduced a product that fits such a wide range of players. I mean you have someone like myself to plays roughly bogey golf, yet I saw improvements in distance and was not punished on off hits. Then you have Mark Wilson out there using them on tour.

139816983.jpg

I tell you, there are going to be three extremely lucky members getting the opportunity to test these. Going to be interesting if they have the same feedback that so many of us who have tried them already did.

That's a great photo of Wilson. Just makes me more excited about this forum testing!

Lee is still gaming the I10's, though he has been testing these out.

TC, where do you put these in terms of forgiveness compared to the RXT's? I, like a lot of others around here, can't get these out of my head....

TC, where do you put these in terms of forgiveness compared to the RXT's? I, like a lot of others around here, can't get these out of my head....

I think they're very similar to be honest. They both give you that powerful feeling at impact too. I think the PING's feel and sound a little better/softer. From a pure looks perspective, the PING's are far more attractive. The biggest difference to me is the stock shaft offering. I find the CFS in the i20's to be really, really good.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here (if I'm not, sorry...I haven't made it through every page yet), but I feel the exact opposite. I have ben playing the i15s for a couple of seasons, and I was soo close to straight-up ordering the i20s without even trying them first...so glad I didn't. I do like that they use a hosel on the new irons, but I still think the i15s are a nicer looking club personally. I really liked the pics of the i20s, but I was pretty let down when I saw them in person. Again, just my view...this is totally subjective, and, again, I do think most people seem to prefer the look of the new irons.

In terms of performance, I liked them well enough, but didn't see any step up from the i15s. The "progressive set" characteristics of the i20s are also present in the i15s. The trajectory/distance was essentially the same (I tested using CFS shafts, and I currently play AWT shafts), and the feel and forgiveness were no better with the i20s. I'm not saying they are bad by any means, as I absolutely love my i15s, so saying that the i20s are certainly no worse than the i15s is high praise indeed. If you are in the market for new irons, I think you're doing yourself a disservice not to try the i20s, but I personally feel that if you already own the i15 series, or have a chance to get some i15 irons at a fraction of the price, I also think you would be doing yourself a disservice by assuming you're going to get much more out of the i20.

Not trying to be a downer, just my $.02.

...now the i20 driver is a different story altogether...I'll be getting one as soon as I finish my semester and get to work!

Dirtydawg has some very interesting data on these concerning shaft and performance. Maybe he can share it if he's still around.

I would agree with FLTC that these are very similar to the RXT's in terms of forgiveness. I was missing quite a bit in the toe with these the first night and was still seeing nice distance. IMO they are a bit better in the feel department. Very S56 like in terms of feel

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I think they're very similar to be honest. They both give you that powerful feeling at impact too. I think the PING's feel and sound a little better/softer. From a pure looks perspective, the PING's are far more attractive. The biggest difference to me is the stock shaft offering. I find the CFS in the i20's to be really, really good.
Thanks, TC. I need to hit these. I want to hit the G20's in order to compare the two.

Man I want to try these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And thanks for that feedback DoubleG. I have little experience with the 15's to be honest. So I wasn't really trying to compare the two. I wasn't aware that the progressive offset was featured in the 15's so I do appreciate that knowledge from you. Did you notice a difference in the sound at all?

Dirtydawg has some very interesting data on these concerning shaft and performance. Maybe he can share it if he's still around.

Hes busy ebaying some vsole wedges

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

And thanks for that feedback DoubleG. I have little experience with the 15's to be honest. So I wasn't really trying to compare the two. I wasn't aware that the progressive offset was featured in the 15's so I do appreciate that knowledge from you. Did you notice a difference in the sound at all?

No Problem! I hope I didn't come off as harsh...I definitely love to hear everyone's feedback on the clubs. As I say, the i15s are my all-time favourite irons, so I really do think the i20s are top-tier irons, I am just not sure if they are worth the jump for me.

In terms of sound, I would argue that the i20s may sound a little softer off the face, especially on off-centre hits. My i15s sound awesome when hit flush, but you can often tell if I cought them off centre...they sound pretty harsh. The i20s sound a bit more forgiving on that front, or at least that's what I noticed.

As a gear junkie, I highly doubt that my time trying out the i20s is over...this was just something of a preliminary opinion after about 10-15 mins hitting them(though I stand by my opinion on the looks of the clubs :) ). I only got to hit into a monitor, but I'd love to take a demo set our for a round, or at least try them outdoors.

I was in the local golf shop a couple weeks ago talking with one of the employee's and hitting some irons. We were talking about the i20's and he told me something pretty interesting and then proved it on the GC2 launch monitor. I was in there comparing c-taper's to the KBS tours using an Adams A12 Pro 7 iron. He did tell me the lofts were the same between the A12/i20, but the i20 is a degree stronger. (34* vs. 33*)

A12
- KBS Tour (S flex) Spin = 6800ish , Carry = 175
- KBS C-Taper (S+ flex) Spin = 5600-6200 , Carry = 181

i20
- DG X100 Spin = 3500-4000 , Carry = 203!

~ SS was between 95-97 mph for all shots
(these are #'s from his swing, not mine)

I did hit all 3 clubs and was 8 yards longer with the i20 (s300 shaft), but after researching the lofts are 1* different. I'm thinking about going back and messing around with the same shafts again in the i20 head or just having a fitting done (depending on who's working). He mentioned he thought something in the grooves were meshing well with the dynamic golds, but said he hasn't hit traditionally lofted 7i's that long before. He said he was going to order a set with the PXi's, so I'll ask him how the distance compares with the x100's.

I want to get some one on one with these again very soon. I think I am going to head to Edwin Watts early this week.

DD that guy is crazy. 203 7i?

Yeah those are some interesting numbers for sure. DD you need to go conduct this test on your own and see what happens. I'd be curious.

Yeah, a 203 7i sounds amazing, but suspect.

Back