Playing from a Puddle - A Rules Question

9-Iron Man

Exciting Times
Reaction score
Handicap
High
I have a rules question. It may be a bit stupid, but please bear with me. Yesterday I played 9 holes with my Dad. Our tee time was at 9:30 and the night before, the course got 2.5 inches of rain. There was water everywhere. My approach on the first hole landed in a huge puddle about 5 feet behind the green. My question is this, do I get relief from the puddle? The course was not in great shape and this puddle was about 8x10 feet and about 6 inches deep. In my opinion there should not be a puddle that size on a course. Sure they got a ton of rain, but with proper drainage, that puddle shouldn't have been there, especially so close to the green. Thoughts? Or am I totally out to lunch?

Thanks!

P.S. For the record, I removed my ball from the water and played it away from the mess.

Unless it's marked as a haZard- red or yellow lines you should be ok.

But I can see both sides here, playing it as it lies, etc

Sure, that puddle falls under the "casual water" ruling, as long as it was not intended to be there as a hazard, then it's casual water. For it to be a water hazard, it would have been defined with either painted lines on the ground or stakes marking it as such.

I'm no rules guru, that's just my opinion.

I'd just remove it and put it in a fair place.
No point getting yourself all muddy and wet for the sake of one casual game!

Unless it's marked as a haZard- red or yellow lines you should be ok.

But I can see both sides here, playing it as it lies, etc

Oh it wasn't a hazard, it was a giant puddle. That's what I'm thinking. Technically I'd have to play it, but seeing as the course was so crappy, it didn't have proper drainage. The puddle just shouldn't have been there.

Casual water

I'd just remove it and put it in a fair place.
No point getting yourself all muddy and wet for the sake of one casual game!

That's what I did. Had to reach for it with my 4 iron and it still almost wasn't long enough to reach!

Casual water. Free drop, one club length from the nearest point of relief, no closer to the hole.

Okay, here is the quote from the USGA Rule of Golf: (Section II: Definitions)

Casual Water
"Casual water" is any temporary accumulation of water on the course that is not in a water hazard and is visible before or after the player takes his stance. Snow and natural ice, other than frost, are either casual water or loose impediments, at the option of the player. Manufactured ice is an obstruction. Dew and frost are not casual water.

A ball is in casual water when it lies in or any part of it touches the casual water.

As above!

You do get relief if it is not marked as a hazard. It is called "casual water". Definition of casual water from Rule book:

"Casual water" is any temporary accumulation of water on the course that is not in a water hazard and is visible before or after the player takes his stance.

Get familiar with rule 25 in the rule book to see how to proceed under "abnormal ground conditions" which does include "casual water".

The rules are online if you do not have a rule book. http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-25/

That's what I thought, but just wanted to be sure. Thanks all!

Without looking (cheating) at the other replies in this thread (want to test my own rules knowledge), the correct play is to find the nearest point of relief, no closer to the hole and drop within 1 club length of said spot. The puddle is considered casual water and free relief is granted. Now to click post to check my thoughts.

Edit: Weee!! :)

Last edited:
Not sure but that puddle could be casual water? Don't think anyone has pointed that out yet! :D

Not sure but that puddle could be casual water? Don't think anyone has pointed that out yet! :D

Lol...I almost posted the exact same thing.

TapaTalk...THP on the fly!

Back