Poor Northerners: When is the Last Time You Played?

Last I played on a course was that weekend that I posted having been the last guy on the last course as it shut down for the winter. I think that was around Dec 11 or so. I got creamed by the same storm that hit Sean. However I am north of Sean. This was is very depressing. Since it dumped over two feet of snow on us we will be looking at this snow till March even if nothing else falls. Last Spring some of the courses opened in March. I don't see that happening this year without some miracle. Thank God for heated bay ranges and CCE golf mats.

Last I played on a course was that weekend that I posted having been the last guy on the last course as it shut down for the winter. I think that was around Dec 11 or so. I got creamed by the same storm that hit Sean. However I am north of Sean. This was is very depressing. Since it dumped over two feet of snow on us we will be looking at this snow till March even if nothing else falls. Last Spring some of the courses opened in March. I don't see that happening this year without some miracle. Thank God for heated bay ranges and CCE golf mats.
And, we got clobbered again Wednesday right JNUG? Ugh...

I went to my closest and best heated bay range today. The landing areas were still covered by about a foot of snow at least. More telling was the cold today. Even though there was little wind which is usually the thing that mitigates and nullifies the heaters, the heaters could not keep up and it was freezing out there. However I had not been out for close to ten days and I had promised that I would get in at least one bucket a week and did not want to let it go till the weekend when the place is slammed and we have divisional playoffs in the NFL (there are priorities on the best NFL weekend of the year). Then Monday we are expecting more snow. So today had to be the day.

Funny some of the things that happen to you when it gets this cold. We are talking temps in the teens. First even if you rip it the ball does not go anywhere. Second as the cold gets to your bones you stop moving. It has been several months since I was leaving my weight on my back foot but I was doing it today and I really had to push myself to get going. Once I got that straightened out I was back to my old aggressive self as far as how I attack the ball. Driver is tough in this cold as it is hard to put a driver move on the ball. However see above, even when I laced it nothing was going anywhere and that was actually funny to watch. You would rip it and I mean really lace the thing and watch it float out there like some graceful butterfly. You would actually end up laughing at your own result because you know how well you had hit it. Also took a couple of my problem clubs out there without thinking (these are clubs that I have to regrip) and in this cold it was impossible to keep my right hand on those. I attack the ball so aggressively mainly with the left side and I use a very light grip especially with my right hand which is mainly just there for guidance. Could not keep my right hand on the club to save my skin. My left side would just pull my right hand right off the club.

At any rate I will give myself my usual high marks for being stubborn and low grades for just about everything else. Anybody from a warmer climate would like laugh his butt off watching me.

Hey JNUG, the range balls are as hard as a rock, and when you factor in the temperature it can get down right discouraging at that lack of distance. lol

Yea I know Sean. Got to have a sense of humor about these things or they will get you. I was not too happy with myself when I was leaving my weight behind me though. On the other hand in what world would we be out on a golf course with temps in the teens so I can't be too pissed off at myself. It really was not a worthwhile day to be out there and if it were not for the time element I would have faced if I did not get out there today, I would never have gone. I would not be surprised if it is ten days again before I can get out what with the weather that is headed our way. I did not want to have it turn into three weeks between swinging the clubs in anger.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. This is the longest I've gone without playing though. Going on two months. I was playing very well too. God knows what it'll be like come spring. Like you said it's now supposed to get down right cold.

I've not played since October! Scottish weather for you!

Figured I was lucky to get someplace where I could even hit the ball with temps in teens yesterday and sure enough the temperature outside my door at noon today is.........7*.......7 stinkin' lousy degrees. That is no adjusted for wind chill either.

Closing in on 3 Months Since I Last Played

Closing in on 3 Months Since I Last Played

Worst. Winter. Ever. It's closing in on three months since I last played golf and there's still a ton of snow on the ground. I was playing well at the end of last season. I have no idea what to expect once I get to play again...even if it warms up there is a lot of snow that needs to melt.

I started golf five years ago and this is the longest stretch I've gone without playing golf. This isn't a rant or anything. I'm just feeling sorry for myself. LOL

Dang fella, if it was me it would be a rant, AND I would be feeling sorry for myself.

Merged with a similar thread

It's been some time towards end of November/ early December I'd guess. Lot's of grass showing in the front yard as of late today.

It's been some time towards end of November/ early December I'd guess. Lot's of grass showing in the front yard as of late today.
Grass! You lucky dog! There is light at the end of your tunnel. :)

The weather here is nice 39*F and I could easily go out to the range in the heated bays, but my shanks are keeping me away because I don't want to waste my money. I know I'm gonna go there and just shank.

Went to the range today. Heated bays didn't really help much, but it's 29 out so I guess it wasn't too bad. Felt great to swing outside. Hit a lot of quality shots, I couldn't believe how good I was hitting it at this point in the year.

Went to the range today. Heated bays didn't really help much, but it's 29 out so I guess it wasn't too bad. Felt great to swing outside. Hit a lot of quality shots, I couldn't believe how good I was hitting it at this point in the year.

I'm jealous. Good job ddec. That's always a great feeling and gets your confidence up before the seasons even started.

It's been since mid October. I had a health issue that ruined the end of the season. I've played a round on the simulator, and been to the indoor range 3 times this month. I'll start hitting the range more frequently as the weather improves. (Friday is slated for 50*!!!!!!!!!"

I know I'm not a Northerner, but it has been cold and snowing here for a month or more now. I have been hitting birdieballs a lot, and I finally get to play 9 today. I really like my swing right now.

We've been getting shellacked up here since the second weekend of November. Three record snowfall days in November alone, and just a little over 60 inches overall thus far.

There were times when the ice ruts in the street made it impossible to drive my poor car around town, but...

The last two days it's been in the low 50's and the chinook wind is eating up the drifts. If this keeps up, I may be taking an afternoon off later this week to hit some stick!

11/29 was my last round I posted to oob.... 77 days!! Had a fee lessons and tried to practice at least every week, sometimes every other. Putt on my practice green daily. Still itching to play so badly

December 22nd. I have a place in Myrtle Beach and escaped for a week, returned on the 23rd.

But more importantly is when I'll be playing again. Lots of golf on my immediate horizon. I'm heading to Florida this Friday with the family for a little over a week. We're staying with my in-laws and my wife is always running around with her sister and mother so they'll be plenty of time for golf.

Then, I'll be back home for less than a week when I turn back around on March 5th and head south again to Myrtle Beach for a week with the guys. Great line-up of courses for that trip. For those that know the area, we're playing Tidewater, True Blue, Tiger's Eye, Leopard's Chase, Barefoot Norman and Love. Can't wait!

11/29 was my last round I posted to oob.... 77 days!! Had a fee lessons and tried to practice at least every week, sometimes every other. Putt on my practice green daily. Still itching to play so badly

Playing this saturday! Gotta love Georgia and awesome THP members.
When are you coming up to cleveland to play one of my home tracks?

Playing this saturday! Gotta love Georgia and awesome THP members.
When are you coming up to cleveland to play one of my home tracks?

as soon as the courses will let us!

super jealous you're getting out in GEORGIA!! good luck!!

This Friday I leave for my Reading Week or Spring Break as you guys call it in the states. I'm going to West Palm Beach where I'm playing golf everyday and maybe even twice a day which is awesome considering I haven't played since New Years Day.....

Back