Pro Mental Coach Review - Forum Testing

Great stuff everybody. I love reading Thainer's posts. He sounds like a kid in a candy store, opening presents on Christmas Day. And TexasHacker's golf summaries are good reads. I think the SW is really helping with Course Management. Keep it up!

90% sounds like a pretty nice result, TH!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I am looking forward to my next round on Friday. I really think that this has been a useful endeavor thus far

Some great write ups in here so far. It's interesting following along with your guys' progress. TH, your write up about your last two rounds was great. Glad its transferring to the course for you. Look forward to seeing how this all pans out for you guys. I'm definitely in ponder mode on this one. Lord knows I could use some more focus on the course.

Well I just had what could have been my best training session ever.

The exergames that I played were:

Game Recap
ProShop
Driving with obstacles
Master Yourself

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Game Recap

This game has always been a fairly easy one for me, and although I was on intermediate, I still fared well scoring a 97%. Nothing new to report.

Proshop

A game that I have struggled with thus far. But not today. Going into it I would get jumpy trying to hurry my speed up, so beforehand I decided to make a gameplan. I would keep my cool, take my time, and think before just clicking away. This time, I was able to keep my cool, stick to my plan and get 100% on the game. I didnt miss a single one and I didnt prematurely click on one that proved to be a fakeout. Im pretty proud of that.

Driving with Obstacles

This game on the other hand is a different story. I usually OWN this game but today, right from the start, I just didnt have my best with me for that 4 minutes. I was blinking at the wrong times and having trouble focussing and it left my concentration struggle. But, and here is that BUT! moment, something clicked around the 1:30 mark on the clock. For the last 90 seconds, I was able to zone in and really take control. I turned it around, and although my score was horrible to to the extremely lackluster first 2.5 minutes, I liked the feeling and I came away pleased. After the game I just sat and thought about what just happened. Instantly I relayed it to a round of golf in which a good hole, a good putt, a good shot, or even a good drive can turn things around. In that last 90 seconds I was in the routine that I struggled finding before. I was blinking at the appropriate times for the games, I wasnt forcing it, and I was just concentrating on the obstacles that it threw at me.

Master Yourself

Master Yourself is a game of which all you do is meditate. Thats it. If you become distracted by your own thoughts you hit SPACE, and if you become distracted by the images on the screen, you CLICK. This one had a nice preamble that I actually went back and relistened to and recorded. I will listen to this before every round of golf because its so calming, and really gets your mind right for the upcoming things that you will do. I ended up being distracted 4 times by my own thoughts and 1 time by the images. The images that pop up are ladybugs. Soon you can concentrate on the golf ball and breathe and acknowledge the ladybugs without losing concentration.

The jist of this game is that it teaches you to multitask while concentrating. All while helping you deal with distractions effectively in a concentrative state. Its very relaxing and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It has a long intro though!

Note: The game is based on honesty. You could effectively turn the game on, leave for 5 minutes and come back and get 0 distractions on either side. That wouldnt be effective though.

Spoiler
ScreenShot2012-09-26at115313AM.png

ScreenShot2012-09-26at115334AM.png

All in all I had an extremely effective day and learned a lot about myself and the techniques I could use to meditate better while on the course. Meditation could be the 30 seconds it takes to walk from a poor shot to the next shot or even from a great shot to a putt that you really want to make. I plan on using, but not overusing, this technique to help my round either improve from a rough start, get back on track from a rough hole, or just take it to the next level coming down the stretch.

Well I just had what could have been my best training session ever.

All in all I had an extremely effective day and learned a lot about myself and the techniques I could use to meditate better while on the course. Meditation could be the 30 seconds it takes to walk from a poor shot to the next shot or even from a great shot to a putt that you really want to make. I plan on using, but not overusing, this technique to help my round either improve from a rough start, get back on track from a rough hole, or just take it to the next level coming down the stretch.

This is something I think is crucial from this program. I really like the way you put it, and this meditation is something I have really tried to take to the course. Have you been able to play since this started?

No. Ive been so tied up with work and moving into a new apartment and stuff that I have not been able to play. My last round of golf was a ringer too, so we'll see. I dont know when I will get to play next, but I have high hopes when it does happen.
This is something I think is crucial from this program. I really like the way you put it, and this meditation is something I have really tried to take to the course. Have you been able to play since this started?

i agree with you thainer in regards to the time in between shots being used as meditation...but, the time in between shots can also be used as what happy gilmore referred to as happy place...where you're not focused on golf, you're not focused on your shot...you're just shootin the **** with someone you're playin with, checking PGA scores on your phone...etc.

I think the biggest hurdle for the software (and the golfer) to get over is a person's threshold for distraction...to train someone so they can get locked back in to focus mode when they're getting ready for a shot, but maintain the ability to snap out of it so they don't get worn out mentally before the rounds over...

I think what this program is teaching me, perhaps more than anything, is mental conditioning. These games are so mentally exhausting, but I bet you anything, after a month or so doing them, I won't feel as mentally dranied. If it will help me concentrate, while increasing my "mental stamina" than I think it has done its job IMO

I think what this program is teaching me, perhaps more than anything, is mental conditioning. These games are so mentally exhausting, but I bet you anything, after a month or so doing them, I won't feel as mentally dranied. If it will help me concentrate, while increasing my "mental stamina" than I think it has done its job IMO

agreed! i don't know if it's the software or the coffee but i think i've even noticed a change in my work efficiency...

Thainer you are truly bringing a lot to this testing and I for one am grateful. Gio and TH are killing it as well. I have not gotten to the meditation game yet and that is something that I can use in golf and in work. I am at a point that I am working 12 hours per day and not sure how long that is going to go on. But my stress levels are at about the max that I can take without a possible gun and clocktower incident. I think 5 minutes of meditation and also the breathing techniques could be useful in both golf and life.

Thainer you are truly bringing a lot to this testing and I for one am grateful. Gio and TH are killing it as well. I have not gotten to the meditation game yet and that is something that I can use in golf and in work. I am at a point that I am working 12 hours per day and not sure how long that is going to go on. But my stress levels are at about the max that I can take without a possible gun and clocktower incident. I think 5 minutes of meditation and also the breathing techniques could be useful in both golf and life.

Thanks Chunky! Pm me your email and I would like to send you the thing breathing exercise I recorded from the master yourself description. I think it could help! It's only 2 minutes but it really helped me reset my thoughts and mindset instantly to a calmer state

chunky, i'm in the same boat as you bud when it comes to work. once our fiscal year ends life will go back to normal and i'll be able to go at this like thainer has. Would it be easier for us to write a description of every game in the software in the first post, so as to shorten our responses (so we don't have to re-iterate every test/exercise) as we go along?

I don't think so Gio. I think everyone has done an excellent job. People will read what they want to read. Only thing we can do is write down what we are doing.

I find myself still writing a short summary even when I have done a full explanation just because people following along might have forgotten, I am fine with doing whatever you guys think is best however

Dudes keep doing what you are doing. This thread is going great. I just need to buckle down and contribute a little more.

Dudes keep doing what you are doing. This thread is going great. I just need to buckle down and contribute a little more.

Chunky, its fine. Just contribute when you can. Instead of 3, we now have 4 perspectives, which I think is really nice. I have a feeling once you get a bit more free time you will KILL IT

Great jobs by all, I didn't know what to expect from a computer program and you all have done great reviews so far. Keep them coming.

Tonight i went on overload since i had time and peace for myself...i completed 7 exercises, feel a little mentally drained, saw some improvement however the games i tried on intermediate for the first time it was only a negligible gains. Today on the real course i shot a 79, (+8). i haven't had a double bogey in over 5 rounds...and i have to say quite a bit of that is because of this software. playing smarter, focusing more (especially on the greens) has helped me stay low. i haven't had a 3 putt in those 5 rounds either...could be the SeeMore or could be because i'm paying more attention to little things..?

I did notice that i'm focusing more on my pitches/chips as well...i'm 'seeing' my spot that i want the ball to land and release much better for some reason, and it's paying back like no other. even though this is the start of testing i have to say, it's pretty cool to see little things happening

Tonight i went on overload since i had time and peace for myself...i completed 7 exercises, feel a little mentally drained, saw some improvement however the games i tried on intermediate for the first time it was only a negligible gains. Today on the real course i shot a 79, (+8). i haven't had a double bogey in over 5 rounds...and i have to say quite a bit of that is because of this software. playing smarter, focusing more (especially on the greens) has helped me stay low. i haven't had a 3 putt in those 5 rounds either...could be the SeeMore or could be because i'm paying more attention to little things..?

I did notice that i'm focusing more on my pitches/chips as well...i'm 'seeing' my spot that i want the ball to land and release much better for some reason, and it's paying back like no other. even though this is the start of testing i have to say, it's pretty cool to see little things happening

I'm liking what I read here.

That's pretty cool gioguy21. I will admit to playing most chips by feel and failing to focus on a spot.

Very neat to read here the correlation between a computer exercise and how it translates to the course, that is ultimately what it's all about.

That's pretty cool gioguy21. I will admit to playing most chips by feel and failing to focus on a spot.

Very neat to read here the correlation between a computer exercise and how it translates to the course, that is ultimately what it's all about.

i've come to realize that even if the software at the very least makes you more aware of the importance of focus and mental elasticity...it has potential to be the most important 'club' in the bag...it helps build confidence in ANY club and allows you to get out of your own way...(i feel like i'm preaching lol)

Very nice update gio. Focusing on chips or pitches is not something I do. I'm very lazy in that aspect of golf.

I got myself caught up with this thread and I am quite impressed so far. It certainly looks like this product is working for all the testers. I am curious to see how things change (if at all) for all going forward once they take the practices learned to the course.

First exergame tonight is called the Moving Sand Trap. You have a golf ball in the middle of the sand trap. The golf ball will have the word match or no match flash on it. Then you will have objects in the bunker appear with words written on them. If the ball says match you need to click on the object that matches the description of what it is. For example if the golf ball says match you need to click on the picture of the bag with the word bag on it. If the ball says no match you need to find the object that does not match the word written on it. You need to do it quickly.

I had a hard time with this one. I am tired and my head is a little fuzzy and so I think I was just confusing the match and no match at times. I got a little frustrated.

Results:
There were 62 trials and I got 55 correct with a mean reaction time of 3.00 seconds
My score was -3
My Global score was 96% and my Cumulative was 96%.
My Comparison results had me at 96% and Group was 92%.

Coach Pahr is telling me to move to a higher difficulty.

Back