Random matchups at tee time

pjcedog

Reaction score
Handicap
Ever get matched up in a group with a guy as a walk up who claims some claim to fame and then when you search for him online or elsewhere you can't find anything on him, nothing. Well the opposite happened to me the other day. Played with a guy who was a very good player obviously, shot -1 on the front 9, but the guy said something that struck me as odd, he said "I don't play very much anymore so I don't really play as well as I used to, I play maybe only 5 or 6 times a year." At this point I am thinking how good is this guy really and how good does he think he is? Later he mentions to me that he used to be the Club Champion at one of the Marine Corps bases and that he was champ for both years he was stationed there before going to Iraq. So I said, what was your handicap? "Plus 2" he says +2 !!! Anyway at that point I was determined to find him or some record of him and sure enough there was his name listed online as the champ a few years ago, twice in fact, verified. The best part is he thought I was a decent enough player that he wants to get out again sometime for a little competition. I actually out drove him on a couple of holes and he was surprised by that. I wasn't. Anyway - anyone else have any mysterious stranger stories to share?

Played 9 holes with Troy Aikman 2 days after they loss to Detroit in the playoffs in 1992. Buddy and I were about to tee off at Hackberry Country Club and along strolls up Aikman to the 1st tee by himself. Asked if he wanted to play and he joined us. When he came up I said, "Hey, Hey, I know who you are" with a big smile on my face............."YOUR STEVE YOUNG!!!!" He busted out laughing. We didn't make another football comment or reference the rest of the way and I think he appreciated that. It was a special moment to actually play golf with one of my football hero's with no one around but me and my buddy. We will have that story for the rest of our lives. Didn't ask him for anything when we finished 9. We shook hands and said good luck to him. Still get chills when I think or talk about it.

Nog dog however that is a good one buddy!

Two really cool stories!

Steel Tappin'

Played a couple of times with Dale Hellastrae the Cowboys' long snapper during those years. Just walked up at Riverside GC there in beautiful Grand Prairie, TX and just happened both times to be there when they needed a 4th. Never know who you are going to bump into. Played once with one of the Texas Rangers - Steve Buchelle their 3rd baseman back in the late 80s. These guys hate it when a pencil neck with glasses out drives them by 50 yards, just drives them nuts.

Heck we got an old dude that plays at golf course that use to play with the Detroit Tigers. He gave KellyBo a signed baseball card. His name is Coot Veal and I have played golf with him several times. The old guy still hits it pretty darn good to be in his 80's!

Played a couple of times with Dale Hellastrae the Cowboys' long snapper during those years. Just walked up at Riverside GC there in beautiful Grand Prairie, TX and just happened both times to be there when they needed a 4th. Never know who you are going to bump into. Played once with one of the Texas Rangers - Steve Buchelle their 3rd baseman back in the late 80s. These guys hate it when a pencil neck with glasses out drives them by 50 yards, just drives them nuts.
I like that track! Some geat holes out there. SB is now managing the Frisco Roughriders. Great place to watch a ball game (that doesn't have Texas Rangers on it)!

Wow, these are some awesome stories!!!

Cool stories. Not a one for me, but I'm in my rookie year of playing. Hopefully i'll have something by the time i'm done.

I played 18 holes with the owner of Monkey Joe's (some of you parents of young kids might know what that is). He's super nice and I loved playing with him.

Heck we got an old dude that plays at golf course that use to play with the Detroit Tigers. He gave KellyBo a signed baseball card. His name is Coot Veal and I have played golf with him several times. The old guy still hits it pretty darn good to be in his 80's!

That was a great team, Freehan catching, Cash at first, Lolich and McNally pitching, Kaline in right field, Dick McAuliffe. I saw the Tigers play in 1967 in Oakland the first year (?) the As were there and will never forget seeing Kaline throw a guy out at the plate from the fence in right on a sac fly - must have thrown a 320 foot perfect strike to home plate that would have taken the first baseman's head off if he had been in the way of it. I think your guy was on the roster a few years prior to that, somewhere I still have the program from that game. The As had some great players too, Rollie Fingers, Campaneris, Dick Green, and Reggie of course, Rick Monday. Long time ago.

That was a great team, Freehan catching, Cash at first, Lolich and McNally pitching, Kaline in right field, Dick McAuliffe. I saw the Tigers play in 1967 in Oakland the first year (?) the As were there and will never forget seeing Kaline throw a guy out at the plate from the fence in right on a sac fly - must have thrown a 320 foot perfect strike to home plate that would have taken the first baseman's head off if he had been in the way of it. I think your guy was on the roster a few years prior to that, somewhere I still have the program from that game. The As had some great players too, Rollie Fingers, Campaneris, Dick Green, and Reggie of course, Rick Monday. Long time ago.

Dang dog you must be close to my age dude? I use to root for the Chicago Whitesox way before the Atlanta Braves even thought about being in Georgia. Nelly Fox, Luis Aprarisco, etc. was on the Sox.

It's not mysterious, but Larry the Cable Guy was playing at my club today, he even held the door open for me as I was entering the pro shop. He's really a nice guy, down to earth. And from what I hear he loves golf.

Great stories!

It's not mysterious, but Larry the Cable Guy was playing at my club today, he even held the door open for me as I was entering the pro shop. He's really a nice guy, down to earth. And from what I hear he loves golf.
Please tell me you told him to Git 'er done!

Dang dog you must be close to my age dude? I use to root for the Chicago Whitesox way before the Atlanta Braves even thought about being in Georgia. Nelly Fox, Luis Aprarisco, etc. was on the Sox.

58 going on 35

Played with a 70 something year old that used to hustle "Evil Kanieville" Supposedly they played some serious cash games back in the 60's. This old cat could flat pound the ball, amazed me that at his age he was shooting the scores he was.

This is the guys I was talking about that plays golf at our course:

DSCF0438.jpg

A great one for us was, about 6 months after my wife and I took up golf we got to play with a guy who was going to try and Monday qualify for the Nationwide Tours Boise Open. The was a bunch of them checking the course out on Sunday, and they sent two of them out with us. One was a guy named David Lutterus..http://www.pgatour.com/golfers/027613/david-lutterus/ . Very nice guy, and we had a blast playing with him. I'd never heard of him, but since we were really new to golf, I'd never heard of any of them. :D

He hit the ball a mile, and scored really well, but the cut on Monday was 67 and he shot 68. Later in the year, he finished something like 8th at Q-school, and got his card. We were both just so impressed with how cool he was to us....very nice guy.

I got paired up with a one-armed golfer in Colorado when I lived there and he beat the carp out of me. He ended up shooting a 2 over and never even mentioned anything about being somewhat known. I found out the next week that he had just been featured in Golf Digest the previous issue.

Once I played with a guy who arrived by helicopter. He just landed his chopper next to the first tee and got out. I was just standing there like wtc? Turns out he was the president/owner of a chain of courses around here (Crystal Springs).

Play with a guy last year who was in his late 60's who played for the Bills and Notre Dame. I am bad with names so sorry I don't remember his name, he was a lineman though. I do know he kicked my butt, don't remember the score but I know it was in the low 70's.

Oh yeah I also caddied for Greg Zolman. QB at Vandy for 3.5 yrs and was in the NFL for like 5 yrs.

I don't have a golf story for it, but I was at a wedding in Wisconsin and there was a large gentleman at my table. We struck up conversation and it turns out he owns a series of gyms in the Madison area. I asked how he got into fitness and he talked about it being after his time in the "league". It was Ron Dayne! I spent the rest of the night just chatting about his charity work and talking to his date (A PhD Biochemistry)- never brought up football or anything.

Everyone else at the wedding was taking pictures when he wasn't looking or trying to get his autograph. I honestly felt really bad for him. I hope that at least the dinner part was somewhat normal and he was able to just enjoy himself before the circus broke loose.

Welcome back RxGus!

Back