Recap Thread - 2013 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be completing my round three video today !

Sunday Singles Recap - (better late than never, right?)
DHill vs INGolfer
As soon as the pairing came out for our Singles matchup I knew that I was in for a test. Brad’s profile showed he was around a 6 handicap and I was just under 17. I talked to my team and know from watching / playing other sports for years that you have to play the game. Brad had struggled some in preparing for the Morgan Cup but had really turned it around right before the event. I believe he even shot a PB during his practice round.
Let me say to start that it was a real pleasure to play with Bradd, and alongside Henri and Buck. Henri and Buck have both done fine reviews about their match so I’ll be focusing on my match with Bradd.

We get on the tee box on Sunday morning and I honestly didn’t feel too nervous. Until I set up for my first swing, it was fast, I felt it happening, saw the result and then saw it again on video. Sliced the first drive into a bunker on the right. Hit into a bunker on the left. Laid up. Let’s just say that hole didn’t go according to plan. In all honesty Bradd didn’t have a great hole either, but he was able to take the hole and I was one down after 1.

#2 – 5 Wood off the tee. I’d played the hole well all weekend. Another poor swing and the ball was topped and barley made it into the fairway. Yes, the fairway about 25 yards away. Hit the next shot so fat I’m surprised the ball even moved. By the grace of the golf gods I played my next shot perfectly and had a decent look at par. Bradd played the hole well and his par beat my bogey.

#3 – Into the water. Made bogey from the drop area. Brad hit the green and his first putt wasn’t all that solid. He made probably an 8 footer to take the par and his third hole.

#4 – My worst hole of the day. I realized after the first few holes but certainly the tee shots on 3 @ 4 that I couldn’t get out of my own way. I was in my head. I was having a good time playing with Bradd, we were riding together and getting to know each other. Talking about golf, life, last year’s Morgan Cup and more. It was enjoyable, but I couldn’t get over playing a better player. I needed to take a few deep breathes and figure something out.

#5 – I hit a decent drive for me and Bradd straight up cranked his J40 way on past. I put a 3H onto the green and he followed by sticking it to about 10 feet. My putt was in decent range for a par and he sank the birdie. Ouch. Dagger to the heart. 5 Down after 5. I can’t be upset with a par. I played the hole well, time to keep it going.

#6 – Halve! We halved this hole with pars.

#7 – I came up a bit short and Bradd was on the green. After a great chip to inches brad rolled his putt equally as close. We halved this hole.

#8 – Probably one of my favorite holes at True blue. I took my Classic 3 Wood and hit a perfect shot out over the rock. Had about 95 yards in. Bradd was sitting right next to me. I proceeded to hit my best shot of the day, a high 56* wedge that had about 4 feet to the pin. Brad was 15 feet away and sank the birdie. I also made my birdie so we halved with birdies.

#9 – The one green out there that got the best of Bradd that day. He had some struggle there and I took that hole.

#10 – I spent too much time in waster bunkers on this hole, to the tune of 3 shots. Brad was on in 3 (it’s a par 5) and had a hard 25 foot downhill curling putt, to which he proceeded to drain for birdie.

#11 – I missed right, he missed left. He saved par and I bogeyed.

#12 – I remember every shot of the round until #12. I don’t remember what happened off the tee but I know I was in the bunker short left and it took 2 shots to get out. After I missed the bogey putt it was essentially over. Bradd took the match for Hackers 7&6.

Like I’ve said, it was a treat to get to play golf with a guy I can now consider a friend. Bradd, having your family out there cheering for all guys was awesome. You have such a beautiful baby girl, and I hope that I have the pleasure of teeing it up again with you one day.

I learned a lot about myself that day. Bradd the best player that I’ve ever went head to head with and in the middle of the round I played as good as I can. A stretch of Par / Par / Par / Birdie.
That’s pretty incredible. I don’t care where I’m playing I’m going to be happy with that. I was and am proud of how I was playing going into Myrtle and this just showed me what I’m capable of. And I came out of that 4 hole stretch loosing 1 hole. That’s incredible. It was a great match during there and each of us was truly pulling for each other to play good golf.
I let the match get away from me in the first few holes and couldn’t pull it back. Once we made the turn Bradd flexed his golfing muscle on hole 10, immediately after losing hole 9 and something that great players can do. I hope to also be that kind of golfer one day.

I loved everything about the Morgan Cup weekend. Hell, I loved the entire process. From the night my name was called and my videos shown I was on the adventure of a lifetime. I got worse, then finally turned a corner. I started to fade and then found an instructor that I really understood. My scores started dropping and I shot my PB just 2 weeks before the event. I didn't feel like I was going to miss with an iron in my hands in myrtle. It was just awesome.

Some guys talked about the post MC blues, and I understand where they are coming from, because playing golf with THPers is pure awesome. BUT, I didn’t experience any post event blues. I’m sure that being part of an amazing team and winning the event helped. But I was excited to keep going. To see where I can go. I played my best golf in Myrtle and wanted (want) to keep working hard.

When ever details about the 2014 Morgan Cup are announced you can bet that I will be in the front of the line to try and be there again. Golfing with and against your friends, your THP family. That’s something you don’t get to do every day. And as Jake said, regular people don’t get to do stuff like that. THP and the amazing sponsors turned each and every one of us into Rock Stars.

Thanks to everyone who supported all of us. Thanks to JB and Morgan for creating and implementing this awesome event. Volunteers, you guys rocked. You’re amazing and I can’t begin to thank you enough. Having those hours of video coverage to share with friends and family and relieve the amazing event is to be treasured. Thanks to each and every one of the other 31 guys I got to share this journey with. I have memories that I’ll never forget. This event will forever live in my heart and such a special journey.
Thanks THP!

Derek I had a blast playing with you. You are such a down to earth guy and I think thats why I was able to relax and play a good round. I could tell after the first several holes that you were relaxing a little more as well, I was just lucky enough to have a hot putter that day that luckily sank some clutch putts for me. That is not very common for me. It was great having your dad there to take some photos, I have saved tons of them to my computer and show them to people all the time. It made me feel more like a pro golfer walking around the course having a guy following a long just taking photos. We will get the chance to tee it up again sometime, don't worry about that, and it will be even more fun than the last round.

Good to see everybody still reminiscing on this awesome event. Sounds like there were 32 winners out there reading through the stories of good times that were had.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Derek I had a blast playing with you. You are such a down to earth guy and I think thats why I was able to relax and play a good round. I could tell after the first several holes that you were relaxing a little more as well, I was just lucky enough to have a hot putter that day that luckily sank some clutch putts for me. That is not very common for me. It was great having your dad there to take some photos, I have saved tons of them to my computer and show them to people all the time. It made me feel more like a pro golfer walking around the course having a guy following a long just taking photos. We will get the chance to tee it up again sometime, don't worry about that, and it will be even more fun than the last round.

Thanks buddy. It was a great round for sure. Looking forward to next time buddy!

[video=youtube_share;PJ6SuV-d5OI]http://youtu.be/PJ6SuV-d5OI[/video]

[video=youtube_share;PJ6SuV-d5OI]http://youtu.be/PJ6SuV-d5OI[/video]

I just relived that entire day watching your video Timmy. The pleasure was all mine and that foursome was epic. I wouldn't trade a single moment of that day on the course for anything. Thanks for the match buddy!! Your nothing but class. Don't kid yourself, you are a solid golfer. You were fractions of shots from beating me that day.

Very nice Tim! Pleasure was all mine. It was fun watching you and Freddie battle. You and I were behind the 8 ball most of the day and there were many times when my confidence would waiver a bit, that I would then watch you fight back on a hole which helped me keep pushing.

What a great group we had on Sunday. Perfect ending.

I just relived that entire day watching your video Timmy. The pleasure was all mine and that foursome was epic. I wouldn't trade a single moment of that day on the course for anything. Thanks for the match buddy!! Your nothing but class. Don't kid yourself, you are a solid golfer. You were fractions of shots from beating me that day.

One of THE most enjoyable rounds of my life bro!!

Very nice Tim! Pleasure was all mine. It was fun watching you and Freddie battle. You and I were behind the 8 ball most of the day and there were many times when my confidence would waiver a bit, that I would then watch you fight back on a hole which helped me keep pushing.

What a great group we had on Sunday. Perfect ending.

Totally agree dude. It was such an epic foursome. We battled. We supported. We cheered. It was amazing.

i feel so privileged, having shared that round with Tim.
we played a practice round Wednesday, but was just ugly golf (at least for me).

was so cool to finally share life stories and 18 good holes of golf with the man WCBM or as i know him better, ghsace. lol.

what a guy! love him.

i feel so privileged, having shared that round with Tim.
we played a practice round Wednesday, but was just ugly golf (at least for me).

was so cool to finally share life stories and 18 good holes of golf with the man WCBM or as i know him better, ghsace. lol.

what a guy! love him.

Miss you dude! I dream about these rounds from this year. Seriously.

Wanted to bump this one as well

nice bump... i had a MC dream last night, those are always fun!

I really didn't know where to post this, so I copied and pasted from another thread.

The Morgan Cup moved me.

Holy Crap! Sorry JB, a carp is a fish! In the interest of full disclosure, I somehow did not see the last portion of round three. At least I didn't remember some of it in such an impactful way.

Takeaways:

1. We Are Fam-I-ly, it's not just a song!

2. The Morgan Cup is changing.

3. Change is always good.

4. All Morgan Cup participants from the past are pioneering trend setters......Thank You!

5. MC captains are Studs and their teams are Rock Stars.

6. If you are a stoic, MC might not be for you, because you will be introduced to your emotions.

7. Volunteering for coverage is an honor and something I Must do.

8. Competition fuels the soul.

9. Camaraderie is the blood of life.

10. In competition everyone does not win but winning is not everything. Sounds trite, but it's true and everyone who competed this year showed this to be true.

11. My hands will shake and I might fail, but I simply MUST KNOW.

12. THANK YOU JB and GG for believing in your dreams! You are allowing us to live one of ours.

As details emerge we will hurtle towards the next competition and people's lives will change. Even if its only for a moment, that moment will be etched in the memories of the teams for the rest of their lives. I WILL be a part of it, because I AM an THP member. What that will entail is to be determined.

I live THP, and I'm proud of that.

JM

I really didn't know where to post this, so I copied and pasted from another thread.

The Morgan Cup moved me.

It moved all of us my man. Seriously.

Im sure that as each of the staffers go back an watch the coverage and re-read the recaps the emotional charge you felt that weekend is present once again. I know from my own experience that each time I watch the trophy celebration it continues to move me in a special way.
On a side note similar but different in a way. I decided to go back to the thread of the grandaddy when I was selected. It moved me in a way that I hadn't really expected. But it validated a couple things that will for ever be etched in my mind and soul.
Having said that, with the magnitude of the MC and all the hard work and preparations that each of you put into this I'm sure you guys share the same feelings if not at a higher and more deeper meaning. It's just that powerful and so incredibly awesome!

The Morgan Cup moved me.
I'm quickly leaning towards number 11 on your list.

Recap Thread - 2013 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event

Im sure that as each of the staffers go back an watch the coverage and re-read the recaps the emotional charge you felt that weekend is present once again. I know from my own experience that each time I watch the trophy celebration it continues to move me in a special way.
On a side note similar but different in a way. I decided to go back to the thread of the grandaddy when I was selected. It moved me in a way that I hadn't really expected. But it validated a couple things that will for ever be etched in my mind and soul.
Having said that, with the magnitude of the MC and all the hard work and preparations that each of you put into this I'm sure you guys share the same feelings if not at a higher and more deeper meaning. It's just that powerful and so incredibly awesome!

I love reliving it to Kevin. I went back to the selection thread and read posts the night I was selected. It's so much fun to relive it.

Every milestone from the 2013 MC is burned into my brain. Each thought takes me back to that time and place. Very few events in my life can boast that claim. Birth of kids, wedding day and NIGHT! Hole in one, College grad, first car, first time. Might be a few more that take me back but not many.

The MC has the ability to change lives if you let it. Or you can just let it be another outing.

Totally true. It is so real you can taste it. I can remember the smell of the grass in the morning of Saturday and Sunday. How they were similar but different at the same time. The feel of the club - somewhat slick with perspiration and dew. The energy from everyone- participants, volunteers, and spectators. Like you said, very few things are seared into your mind in life. The Morgan Cup is.

Last edited:
Very true brothers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back