sad day for ncaa football

As though a playoff wouldn't garner more coverage and interest? Look at the NFL playoff TV numbers from this past weekend - through the freaking roof! A college playoff could be even bigger.

Agreed 100%

What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Anyway this goes, Auburn played one heck of a game. The entire team came out for this, especially the front line, man they just dominated. I have no horse in this race, but really enjoyed seeing two teams battle it out, nothing sad about that.

If it comes out that wrongs were done, I still say everything on the field was fantastic last night. The better team won!

SEC X 5.. :act-up:

Not going to comment on the subjectivity of the past investigations
I think some type of playoff that uses the same components as the BCS might work, not just the W-L column...

rxgus.......buying other people's term papers and turning them in as your own is still considered cheating....right?

eta: IMO, skirting the rules for your own gain is cheating.

Snickers- Academic cheating and athletic cheating are two different things.

Cheating = skirting the rules to gain an advantage over the opponent

In academia- buying a term paper (presumably better than you could have written) is skirting a rule to gain advantage over the other students, class, or university. Your actions produce an uneven playing field that provide you with an advantage.

In sports- Pam, steroids, illegal boxing gloves, corked bats all help you gain an advantage over your opponent. These are all cheating. However, taking money because you are good at sports may make you dirty and unethical, but it doesn't mean that you cheat at football. He, by all accounts, plays every snap in a legal and ethical way and does nothing to seek an advantage over his opponent. That is, unless you think him getting the money made him a better football player

Reggie Bush is the same way- he did nothing to gain an advantage over his opponents on the playing field. What he did was underhanded and unethical but it did not provide him an added benefit on the field of play (the way a stolen paper provides a student a benefit in a class).

If you use the word Cheat, it applies to the schools in question. USC cheated because they were able to "sign" reggie bush when they may not have otherwise, providing the TEAM as a whole with an advantage. Auburn allegedly cheated by paying for a player they may not have otherwise gotten to go to their school which provided the TEAM as a whole with an advantage over their opponents.

In USC's case- USC cheated (if they knew about it) while Reggie was just unethical. Nothing about Reggie taking money influnced the outcome of the games on the field and therefore HE didn't cheat. The school did.

What happened? Was there some shenanigans concerning Newton and his recruitment to Auburn?

I was just as much in the dark about this as Sean. I suppose I had my nose into golf more than football news so it flew right over my head. I am of the opinion you are not guilty until proven guilty. I am a Georgia fan, not a Auburn fan and was rooting bascially for the SEC last night. I actually liked Oregon as a team and was rooting for them to do well as the year progressed. I especially liked their socks last night. Anyways I was surprised about how people were dogging out Auburn's NC and then all the flame thrown at Cam Newton puzzled the heck out of me. But that was me just being dumber than dirt with the things that are reported about College Football and NCAA stuff.

I was just as much in the dark about this as Sean. I suppose I had my nose into golf more than football news so it flew right over my head. I am of the opinion you are not guilty until proven guilty. I am a Georgia fan, not a Auburn fan and was rooting bascially for the SEC last night. I actually liked Oregon as a team and was rooting for them to do well as the year progressed. I especially liked their socks last night. Anyways I was surprised about how people were dogging out Auburn's NC and then all the flame thrown at Cam Newton puzzled the heck out of me. But that was me just being dumber than dirt with the things that are reported about College Football and NCAA stuff.
If ignorance is bliss I'm a pretty happy fella...Ohio State, USC, Auburn...I really wasn't aware of any of this. My son is in the process of choosing a college. Fortunately he is just looking at small liberal arts schools. Unfortunately they all cost a lot of money. LOL.

63ef30aa-8b39-36b9.jpg

THPing on the fly. Sorry for lack of forum etiquette.

Tim tebow of Nazareth hah, that is priceless.

Whoring your kid out like Cecil newton is despicable , he should be ashamed to call himself a father. He had no interest in the best situation for his kid, he just wanted money. Piece of trash.

You think BG would still be saying this if it was OSU that won the National Championship? :alien:

Guys father got caught in a cheating scandal. As of right now it was shown that not only did Cam not know about it, he got nothing for going to Auburn. If proof comes out down the road that this is different, then I will be the first one to call him dirty. Until that time, there is nothing more that needs to be said in my opinion.

Well other than I assume that the original poster feels even worse about OSU winning a bowl game right? After all, there is actual proof of them cheating and they still got to play in a bowl game and won.

im a die hard OSU fan - and i didnt want them there. The stories in our papers here in columbus are - they passed the rule in nov - they sold them in september - so theres a nother loophole the ncaa will probably reduce their suspensions.

I cannot fathom the idea of selling items like that for money - but they live in a diff world than i do. Im not defending them - i dont think they should have been allowed to play - they were suspended for 1/2 a season - there is no way they should have been allowed to play in the bowl game. But how many fans do you think would have cancelled their trip to the sugar bowl if the stars of the team were not allowed to play?

The ncaa screwed the pooch on that call.

As far as CAM, if you believe he knew nothing about his dad shopping him - well- i just cannot argue that. There would be know way to prove he knew - unless cam showed up at the meeting lol. I know innocent until proven guilty - doesnt mean i have to respect it.

I feel a little bad this am, and i know i shouldnt have posted it - i was just sick to my stomach at what college football has become. Ive watched it religiously since i can remember and i dont like where its going.

I had way too many beers last night - and the OP was a direct result of that. It doesnt change how i feel today - but normally i wouldnt have started a controversial thread such as this.

I apologize - to those who may be offended.

and one more thing, to give cam newton the credit for winning the nat'l championship is not even remotely true, or at least you watched a different game than i did. auburn's defense came to play, more specifically, the front four. they absolutely dominated that game, and absolutely stuffed the running game of the ducks. oregon should've thrown the ball a whole lot more. anyone who's watched any auburn football this year knows that one on one, they struggle with covering receivers, and oregon had great success when they did throw. so why did they keep up with the option game, when clearly it wasn't working?

true - it was a great defensive battle by the auburn D to stop one of the better offenses ive seen in awhile. But they dont win the game without cam

Yeah, he was a blue chip, but I doubt anyone thought enough of him in JC to offer him $$$. Seems that someone would have snatched him from FL were that the case.

TapaTalking while driving. I swear it's safe. Oh cra...

he did win the JuCo a national championship btw...

multiquote is your friend.

A few years from now the NCAA will tell us this game never happened.

A few years from now the NCAA will tell us this game never happened.

Exactly...and some poor SAP who's never even met cam newton will be bowl ineligible for 2 years. Are we to believe that he tried to get miss st to pay 180000 then just decided on auburn instead for nothing the day before signing day? Give me a break. Even if cam knew nothing about it au urn sure as hell did.

No problem there CG. Everybody has there own opinion and far as I can tell this is still a free country. Have a great day buddy and know for a fact, all of us have said things in the heat of the moment that we might have altered a bit here & there.

Exactly...and some poor SAP who's never even met cam newton will be bowl ineligible for 2 years. Are we to believe that he tried to get miss st to pay 180000 then just decided on auburn instead for nothing the day before signing day? Give me a break. Even if cam knew nothing about it au urn sure as hell did.

I think you should do some research on how many guys are shopped WITHOUT them ever knowing it. Marcus Dupree is the biggest name that comes to mind. You are stating things like they are facts, but no facts are known.

This happens WAY more than you think and some teams simply don't tolerate it. Some teams do, clearly hence the whole thing with Miss St. But Marcus Dupree was shopped by a family friend. Yet went to Oklahoma and neither OK knew about the prior shopping neither did Dupree. Yet it came out later when the teams that were willing to pay did not get him.

I think you should do some research on how many guys are shopped WITHOUT them ever knowing it. Marcus Dupree is the biggest name that comes to mind. You are stating things like they are facts, but no facts are known.

This happens WAY more than you think and some teams simply don't tolerate it. Some teams do, clearly hence the whole thing with Miss St. But Marcus Dupree was shopped by a family friend. Yet went to Oklahoma and neither OK knew about the prior shopping neither did Dupree. Yet it came out later when the teams that were willing to pay did not get him.

You are.correct and I apologize. However a father obviously has a lot more influence then a family friend. So in short... in my opinion, which really means nothing, I have a very hard time believing auburn didn't pay. Whether cam knew or not I don't have a clue.

You are.correct and I apologize. However a father obviously has a lot more influence then a family friend. So in short... in my opinion, which really means nothing, I have a very hard time believing auburn didn't pay. Whether cam knew or not I don't have a clue.

Not always. Marcus Dupree was not close to his father. This was their family reverend. Pretty darn trustworthy most people would think. Its almost the same situation. He went to OK...and they DIDNT pay.

1) Anyone interested should check out the Tuesday Morning Quarterback column on ESPN's page 2.

2) The part about the Cam Newton situation that gets me mad is the hipocrisy of the NCAA. In the Reggie Bush ruling, they made it very clear that the parents benefitting is no different than the student benefitting, thus bringing the heavy punishment down on USC. Flash-forward to later in the fall with Cam Newton and all of a sudden, he's eligible because he "didn't know anything about it." That's what is wrong with the NCAA here. And why is it different for Cam Newton? As others have mentioned, the NCAA still had money to gain from his being able to play. Reggie Bush being in the NFL for 5 years can't bring any more money to the NCAA, so it's easy to find him in error retroactively.

I'd like to think that it's only a matter of time until the NCAA re-opens an investigation and retroactively strips this championship, but that would be akin to them saying "oops, we screwed up." You can bet that would never happen from an agency so large.

1) Anyone interested should check out the Tuesday Morning Quarterback column on ESPN's page 2.

2) The part about the Cam Newton situation that gets me mad is the hipocrisy of the NCAA. In the Reggie Bush ruling, they made it very clear that the parents benefitting is no different than the student benefitting, thus bringing the heavy punishment down on USC. Flash-forward to later in the fall with Cam Newton and all of a sudden, he's eligible because he "didn't know anything about it." That's what is wrong with the NCAA here. And why is it different for Cam Newton? As others have mentioned, the NCAA still had money to gain from his being able to play. Reggie Bush being in the NFL for 5 years can't bring any more money to the NCAA, so it's easy to find him in error retroactively.

I'd like to think that it's only a matter of time until the NCAA re-opens an investigation and retroactively strips this championship, but that would be akin to them saying "oops, we screwed up." You can bet that would never happen from an agency so large.

did cam newton's father benefit? or did he try and benefit and fail?

there is a difference.

However keep in mind that the Reggie Bush troubles and what has been cited is FAR more than his parents getting benefits. It was accepting improper benefits and his parents were lumped into the entire charge.

From the NCAA original report

The NCAA ruled that Bush received lavish gifts from two fledgling sports marketers hoping to sign him. The men paid for everything from hotel stays and a rent-free home where Bush's family apparently lived to a limousine and a new suit when he accepted his Heisman in New York in December 2005.

did cam newton's father benefit? or did he try and benefit and fail?

there is a difference.

This is another reason why they are VERY different situations.

Back