Shallow Faced Drivers

Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a Diablo Edge I bought a couple years ago that has a fairly shallow face, but can't think of any newer models. I have somewhere in my house an 11* Orlimar Tri-metal that I could once hit off the deck like a 3w. I was younger then. After hitting low bullets off a number of tees this past weekend with my TEE XCG 3W, I was thinking how cool it would be to have a driver with a face shaped more like a shallow faced 3W, but the size of a driver head.

One a guy could tee up about a 1/2" and just rip about 30' off the ground. Would be great at certain courses and in the wind for sure.

I want one. Are there any?

Kevin

I have a Northwestern driver that probably looks a lot like your Orlimar driver. I have some old (in fact, just stopped using the 3 and 5 woods) that look like the old Orlimars.

I have a Northwestern driver that probably looks a lot like your Orlimar driver. I have some old (in fact, just stopped using the 3 and 5 woods) that look like the old Orlimars.

But the heads are small. I want a big flat driver.

Kevin

wilson staff dxi superlite is all i can think of

Thanks. Looked that one up and it does have a shallow face. I'll look more, but from the first few retailers left hand choices were limited. But that is what I'm talking about. I want to see one in person.

Kevin

What about the i20 driver?

What about the i20 driver?

Looks shallower than most, I guess. Seems it more shallow than the G20? Which one is supposed to be more forgiving?

Kevin

Kevin,

I thought the Ping G20 and Callaway Razr Black were both pretty shallow faces, and I found both of them pretty forgiving.

Esox I used to hit some freaking rockets with the Orlimar. I don't think anything modern could compare to that shallow face.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Looks shallower than most, I guess. Seems it more shallow than the G20? Which one is supposed to be more forgiving?

Kevin

I think the i20 is shallower. Not sure which is more forgiving though.

Esox I used to hit some freaking rockets with the Orlimar. I don't think anything modern could compare to that shallow face.

lol. I know, right? I never hit the 11* that consistently off the tee, but used it off the deck on a couple local course to great success. That was a cool golf club. Maybe I should dig it out and have a shaft put in it. Dump one club and carry it as a 2nd driver. I doubt I could still hit it off the deck.

Kevin

Never move backwards. Kmac would not approve.

Never move backwards. Kmac would not approve.

I might be becoming obsessed with finding a driver I can tee low and hit low. I want to hit stingers that carry 210-220 and then roll like hell. Two high drives I hit off line that got taken by the wind, (and one missed 4' putt) cost me even or under par on Saturday. I realize there are times a long carry is a must, but it's been dry and windy here, and low bullets are awesome.

Kevin

Best shot I have ever hit was with the 11 off the deck. Had 275 to a green that I had never come close to hitting. The sprinkler head said to just hit it. I was playing with a friend and his dad. Grabbed the 11 and let one loose. It was a screamer that didn't get that high but just kept going.

My buddies dad yells 4 at the older couple on the green. I freaking Icejacked them before Icejack was a twinkle in his Daddy's eye. Ball landed over the green. I sheepishly walked up to the green and apologized. The old folks said don't bother. It was the best shot they had ever seen. My friends dad still says that all these years later.

Sad part was that I could hardly ever hit the dang thing. It was all or nothing. Not sure I ever hit a good shot off the tee. The freaking trimetal. Man that brings back some awesome memories

The Titleist 905R was advertised as a shallow faced 460CC head. Perhaps worth a peak? Could probably get used on the super cheap and throw a newer shaft in it.

Adams 9088UL?

Why not just slap a stiff, low launching shaft in your R11?

That's the beauty of the R11

Ping IsI (Tec). I just traded mine in otherwise I would have given it to you. Had the "cool" BiMatix installed. I gotta say, that was the most consistent driver I've had.

**Tappin' from the center of the middle of the fairway**

The non tour RAZR Hawk is pretty shallow. I hit it off the deck twice in the MC both times with great success.

The non tour RAZR Hawk is pretty shallow. I hit it off the deck twice in the MC both times with great success.

That was awesome. I remember you walking into the woods with that driver and thinking what the hell is heeling?

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not just slap a stiff, low launching shaft in your R11?

That's the beauty of the R11

I don't think the r11 will like bring hit off the deck.

Tapin for bird

That was awesome. I remember you walking into the woods with that driver and thinking what the hell is heeling?

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

The sad part is I was standing right next to my "divot" from the previous day. I'm pretty sure that's the only fairway I missed in two days but it was in the exact same spot hehe

I don't think the r11 will like bring hit off the deck.

Tapin for bird

I thought he wanted something to hit off the tee?

Thanks guys. I need to look at a few of these in person. In the meantime this is for Chunky. I went to the basement. Turns out it was a 10.5* Tri-Metal.

113.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

116.jpg

117-1.jpg

And for our young forum members. Here this club is next to my R11. That's how big early metals were.

Kevin

118.jpg

This is a great thread and it touches on a subject I have given a lot of thought to lately. A couple of weeks ago I was paired up with a guy who was playing a new i20 9.5* and his drives only got about 50' off the ground, only carried about 175, but ran out a good 80-100 more yards. This was on a seaside course with moist fairways, I can only imagine the rollout he would get on a firm course. I was blasting away, hitting my usual high drives and was always way behind him. Sure, if there was a forced carry or very moist conidtions he may be in trouble but in most other situations his shot was golden. I have been thinking how cool it would be to have 2 drivers, 1 for ultimate carry and 1 for ultimate roll. I could even probabaly get away with dropping a wedge and keeping both drivers in the bag at all times.

Back