Slow Play on Tour

Put it this way, Dan. When I was there on Friday, JB Holmes' group was almost 2 holes behind the group ahead of them when they finished the 1st round. I watched them hit their approach shot on 3. JB was left side fairway and the other guys were on the right side rough and fairway. Holmes was 2nd to hit and didn't even start looking at his shot until the guy in the rough had already played. It took him longer to hit his ball than the other two combined. Multiply that by 18 holes and it's easy to see how they can get so far behind. It was painful to watch. Reason I know how far behind they were was I was waiting behind the 9th green to congratulate him for his ace on 7. I was there a LONG time waiting. I can only imagine how difficult it was for Adam Scott, someone who's very vocal about slow play to be paired with him for the final 2 rounds.

I was surprised when people said their group was keeping up yesterday.

I was surprised when people said their group was keeping up yesterday.

I didn't get to watch much of yesterday's golf as I was stuck doing house type stuff. But yeah, that's surprising to me as well considering everything I've seen on yesterday's final round said they were pretty much a hole behind right out of the gate.

I didn't get to watch much of yesterday's golf as I was stuck doing house type stuff. But yeah, that's surprising to me as well considering everything I've seen on yesterday's final round said they were pretty much a hole behind right out of the gate.

It would be pretty telling for the entire tour landscape on speed golf, but it also kind of gives Holmes a pass because I've drawn out plenty of shots knowing that I've got nothing but waiting in front of me.

That said, 5.5 hours as a threesome sounds absolutely hellish. I'd lose my mind, and surely would not play good golf.

Put it this way, Dan. When I was there on Friday, JB Holmes' group was almost 2 holes behind the group ahead of them when they finished the 1st round. I watched them hit their approach shot on 3. JB was left side fairway and the other guys were on the right side rough and fairway. Holmes was 2nd to hit and didn't even start looking at his shot until the guy in the rough had already played. It took him longer to hit his ball than the other two combined. Multiply that by 18 holes and it's easy to see how they can get so far behind. It was painful to watch. Reason I know how far behind they were was I was waiting behind the 9th green to congratulate him for his ace on 7. I was there a LONG time waiting. I can only imagine how difficult it was for Adam Scott, someone who's very vocal about slow play to be paired with him for the final 2 rounds.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
0eecc2d551256c1d2500a5061a2c6d57.jpg
0886031b46b580c0c50c015df6a54a46.jpg

2 holes behind is TERRIBLE

I see the same slowness every week at my course. There's no reason both carts of a foursome need to go to every shot and only one person get out to hit the ball. All that time riding around and holding a convention you could have gone to other balls and figured out what you were going to do with your own shot. Its not just emulation of tour pros, its just complete lack of consideration. Just yesterday, on every single hole we had to wait for the old guy to walk all the way back to his cart which he would leave where he pitched from, instead of driving it up closer to the green. So not only do we have to wait for them to play, now we've got to wait for him to hobble his way another 80 yards in the wrong direction towards us to get to his cart before he even starts to clean his clubs, put them in the bag, fold his glove up and put it in his pocket, get his hankie out of another pocket to blow his nose, climb into the cart, recount all his shots, write down his score, and then drive away and we've still got to wait for him to get to the green and finally get past it and out of the way so we can hit approaches.

I mean if it were open field in front of them I'd say it's a much bigger issue. Perhaps he was also pacing himself, so he doesn't have to sit those extra couple minutes at the next tee box, more than he already had to

This is my take on it as well. After all, they where waiting on every shot anyways.

I am resigned to the fact that tour events are going to be slow. The PGA Tour isn't going to do anything until they lose money (imagine if there was a hard out time from the networks). The course I play at isn't really slow, so I have not seen it, but recognize that others have. Additionally, there are too many apologists in the fanbase to make a stink.

Slow play on tour is squarely filed in the "is what it is" category for me.

That said, 5.5 hours as a threesome sounds absolutely hellish. I'd lose my mind, and surely would not play good golf.

This is the thing that's baffling to me, also. I play my worst rounds when I'm stuck waiting all day. I usually play solo, also. It's also nerve wracking when you trail a foursome for 4 holes, they notice you, take their sweet time the entire hole and then speed up to stay ahead of you at the next tee box. Really, a**holes? You think letting me play through is going to hold your group up? Idiots. I'm surrounded by idiots.

I'll wait to be outraged until I'm putting for $1.2 million and a PGA Tour win... and do it faster than Holmes.

I’ve always stood on the idea that slow play doesn’t occur because of tour players.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one Freddie.
When I see local idiot players every week walking around 5 foot putts to look at them from every angle and then plumb bob or Aim point before taking 5 or 6 practice putts and then run the putt 3 feet past the hole, I put all the blame for that on the pros. Amateur players mimic the tour players all the time.
Yes, that is just one reason for slow play, but I think it is a huge contributor.

Bring on the 30 second shot clock !! (and enforce it)

This week's tournament in Mexico has a field of only 72 players, so slow pace of play will likely not be an issue.

This week's tournament in Mexico has a field of only 72 players, so slow pace of play will likely not be an issue.
#slowplayersstillbeslow

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I hope it keeps getting thrust into the social media spotlight.

Maybe the tour will finally grow a pair and enforce something.

I’m just thinking about the handful of putts/shots I’ve had on a random day with some buddies that end up being worth $20, $50, $100 if I make/miss it. I usually take an extra minute to line it up.

I can only imagine when you’re putting for millions on the line. Holmes hasn’t won in 4 years...I don’t blame him for taking that long. Plus, why SHOULD he speed up? He’s not getting penalized, he’s not on the clock...he only stands to lose money/a trophy if he doesn’t take his time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put a shot clock on top of the standard bearer's sign. Even if it's not an on / off like in other sports it is visible to all and will put some public pressure to pull the trigger. Would hopefully also lead to more people being put on the clock quicker. And you could start selling sponsor spots for the clock as I believe it would be frequently seen in the broadcast.

I’m just thinking about the handful of putts/shots I’ve had on a random day with some buddies that end up being worth $20, $50, $100 if I make/miss it. I usually take an extra minute to line it up.

I can only imagine when you’re putting for millions on the line. Holmes hasn’t won in 4 years...I don’t blame him for taking that long. Plus, why SHOULD he speed up? He’s not getting penalized, he’s not on the clock...he only stands to lose money/a trophy if he doesn’t take his time.

And this exactly is the problem that there are no consequences for this. The ones that actually play within the rules are not being handed a level playing field. But unless the player's themselves start to voice their opinion nothing will be done. Hell even in Am tournaments you are handed a very clear pace of play schedule.

That's why people are saying the tour has an issue. They have the platform to fight the issue, but continue to turn the blind eye.

JB is just getting picked on because he's the lastest to be getting a lot of screen time. No different than Na at the Players a couple of years ago.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Saw somewhere that JB said, if you were playing in 25 gusts and for 1.3mil you would back off and take your time too....

Saw somewhere that JB said, if you were playing in 25 gusts and for 1.3mil you would back off and take your time too....

What’s his excuse every other day?

And Holmes said he won't be there. lol

Slow play is ruining the game of golf. Every player should have a max of 30 seconds when it’s their turn to go. It should be enforced rigorously.

At the public course anyone who falls a complete hole behind should be required to pick up and advance a hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thats 5.5hrs from 3balls who generally hit it where they want to. What if this filtered down to ‘normal’ golfers (admittedly it has a little already).
The way I played today if I’d taken that time on each shot you’d have needed a calendar to time me, not a watch.

You are correct in saying that he has no reason to speed up since the tour won’t do a thing about it. Which is why the pro tours need to pull their collective heads out of their arses and start penalizing slow play!! Holmes is definitely not the only slow play culprit, but his snail-like pace was highlighted in a big way this weekend. Yes, I get that they are playing for big $$$$, but how can the governing bodies preach “ready golf” to the rest of us while allowing slow play to continue in the pro ranks?

You are correct in saying that he has no reason to speed up since the tour won’t do a thing about it. Which is why the pro tours need to pull their collective heads out of their arses and start penalizing slow play!! Holmes is definitely not the only slow play culprit, but his snail-like pace was highlighted in a big way this weekend. Yes, I get that they are playing for big $$$$, but how can the governing bodies preach “ready golf” to the rest of us while allowing slow play to continue in the pro ranks?

Except golf is supposed to be self penalizing. Yet, Spieth, Day, Holmes, Na and others just say the right thing that they are "working on it" and that's okay. Yet we get outraged at a ball moving 3mm on the putting surface and DQ players after their scorecard.

Back