Sure Putt - Testers Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Recently THP sent out 3 Sure Putt devices to forum members to get their feedback on the device and whether or not it helps them around the green. This is the thread where the three of them will put their thoughts and reviews on the product.

Just home from playing 9 holes and found the Sure Putt in my mailbox.

It comes in a nice little box sitting in a foam surrounding. It is much smaller that I thought it would be. I took pictures to show you its size in comparison to a quarter and golf ball. It weighs 2.1 ounces but feels substantial and heavy enough to lay flat on the green as it claims. It has a nice little pouch included and fits nicely in my vest pocket that I wore playing golf today.

This little gadget reminds me of a small hockey putt. I took a picture to show you the thickness too. It has a water leveler in the middle and the bubble moves according to the slope. If the bubble is directly in the center of the circle the green is level. If it moves right on the dial, the slope will be to the left, etc.

Mine has LSU Tigers on it. You can have them customized as shown on their website www.sureputtgolf.com. I also found them on Facebook.

The directions that are included read as follows:

Place the Sure Putt directly behind your ball or at any point along the path of the hole. Point the top of the disk towards the hole. By reading the dial around the disk you can instantly see the slope of the green.

Can't wait to try it out!

Well done there KellyBo. I tell ya what. I will give you a bite of my candy bar (golf nutrition bar that I am doing a taste test on) if you will let me try this when we play :D

thats actually bigger than I thought it would be. I think its an excellent idea and can not wait to see if it works well.

So, essentially, it is a level. I know a dude in my foursome that, if he had this device, would try to wip that thing out during one of our money matches and use it without us knowing. He cannot read greens if his life depended on it. Of course, this thing would be of little help for a double break.

KellyBo: I like how on one of your pics you snuck in the pic of the "closest to the pin" trophies. very clever!!

So, essentially, it is a level. I know a dude in my foursome that, if he had this device, would try to wip that thing out during one of our money matches and use it without us knowing. He cannot read greens if his life depended on it. Of course, this thing would be of little help for a double break.

KellyBo: I like how on one of your pics you snuck in the pic of the "closest to the pin" trophies. very clever!!

Haha! That's not my trophy so I'm not showing off!

Last edited:
I got mu Sure Putt in the mail on Friday. I immediately put it in my pocket and headed for the practice green. When I got there I realized i had been so excited that I had forgotten my clubs and balls. Oh well...

First impression is that the packaging and workmanship are top notch, as KellyBo stated. The packaging is well done and the etching (I got the United States Marines unit) are terrific. The weight is substantial enough to lay flat (although late in the day some tufts my appear that can disturb the way it sits) but not so heavy as to be annoying to carry.

As you might suspect this device does a good job of identifying "local" slope. I tried it on six foot putts by placing it about halfway to the hole. It does give an indication of the severity of the slope but it will take considerable experience to equate bubble position to amount of break.

I tried to use the Sure Putt on putts of 20 feet and found it to be less useful. It turns out that on a putt of 20 feet with 3 feet of break there can be several local slopes in opposite directions. I found this to be distracting.

Since I believe all putts are straight (yes they curve but we can not influence the break except by speed) I found the Sure Putt particularly valuable in finding straight putts either up or down hill. When I had determined a straight putt I could work on my alignment and stroke and know that if I did my job, the ball would go in.

In summary I think the Sure Putt is well made, well packaged and will make a great gift for the golfer who has everything (and don't we all). As an aid to reading greens I think the benefits are limited but with some creativity I think one can use the Sure Putt to devise some drills that will help.

Thank you so much THP and Sure Putt for this opportunity. I will let you know how it fares in the "Wounded Marine" blind auction in February.

Great review so far guys. I think this device is a must have if you're a caddie. On wednesaday you could spend hours testing and recording the slopes on the green for the weekend. I question the practical nature of this device for a more weekend warrior type golfer.
I do like what Jean mentioned about using it to find a flat putting surface to practice setup and stroke. That alone seems worth it but what's stopping me from buying a level At my local home depot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a digital version of this thing that I have seen and I wonder if that is the genesis for this analog device. The one that is digital costs more than twice as much and I seriously doubt it can do anymore than this does.

It's so cold this week that it will probably be Thursday before I test it. Just wanted to let you know I will be testing this out ASAP!

Awesome! I really am interested in how this device turns out. It could be a real good training tool that I would definitely invest in.

I got mu Sure Putt in the mail on Friday. I immediately put it in my pocket and headed for the practice green. When I got there I realized i had been so excited that I had forgotten my clubs and balls. Oh well...

First impression is that the packaging and workmanship are top notch, as KellyBo stated. The packaging is well done and the etching (I got the United States Marines unit) are terrific. The weight is substantial enough to lay flat (although late in the day some tufts my appear that can disturb the way it sits) but not so heavy as to be annoying to carry.

As you might suspect this device does a good job of identifying "local" slope. I tried it on six foot putts by placing it about halfway to the hole. It does give an indication of the severity of the slope but it will take considerable experience to equate bubble position to amount of break.

I tried to use the Sure Putt on putts of 20 feet and found it to be less useful. It turns out that on a putt of 20 feet with 3 feet of break there can be several local slopes in opposite directions. I found this to be distracting.

Since I believe all putts are straight (yes they curve but we can not influence the break except by speed) I found the Sure Putt particularly valuable in finding straight putts either up or down hill. When I had determined a straight putt I could work on my alignment and stroke and know that if I did my job, the ball would go in.

In summary I think the Sure Putt is well made, well packaged and will make a great gift for the golfer who has everything (and don't we all). As an aid to reading greens I think the benefits are limited but with some creativity I think one can use the Sure Putt to devise some drills that will help.

Thank you so much THP and Sure Putt for this opportunity. I will let you know how it fares in the "Wounded Marine" blind auction in February.

This si what i was thinking too. Once you get away from the "spot" it is sitting on you don't have much usefulness. Cool concept though and I would probably buy one for use in pactice putting somehow.

This si what i was thinking too. Once you get away from the "spot" it is sitting on you don't have much usefulness. Cool concept though and I would probably buy one for use in pactice putting somehow.

Put the Sure Putt in my pocket today and used it on several greens while playing 9 holes.

I found it was useful in giving me the read on my putts if I moved it along the line since some putts had more than one break. I know it's not legal to use while playing so it really has no use during a practice round.

I intend to take it to a couple of our tougher greens with lots of breaks and uphill/downhill slopes so I can study these breaks more with this device. I really have trouble reading the uphill/downhill breaks and I'm hoping this might shed some light if I use it enough and really think about what's going on.

At this point, I'm not impressed but I'm still hopeful that if I use it as intended, I might get results with serious practice.

More to come......

Awesome stuff KB. Thanks.

Great job so far from you testers.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

I am a huge believer in quality putting, as we all know we use our putter more than any club in our bag. Putt well, score well..I have one of these and LOVE it... When I got it (as a gift) I thought whatever.. Now I find myself using it always. I misused it when it was new to me like I think most will. It is not the tool to use for long drastic breaking putts, just to much ground to cover and you eye can see what is needed. For me its a tool to use from around 12 feet and in on putts that look to be fairly flat and straight (the ones we take for granted and miss). Long story short, I would over/under read putts and not pay enough attention to down hill putts. After a summer of using this I do not take any putt for granted and really am making more of the putts I think I should be making. Nothing better than having a confident putting stroke because you know what the ball is going to do..

Not that I was asked, LOL Great tool every golfer will get something out of it and save shots..

Good Luck!
Hackers Paradise, you do a great job!!! Glad I found your site..

Well finally got it on the green yesterday afternoon. Currently typing this in a deer blind waiting for the sun to come up so please excuse the 5 am grammar!

1st off looks and pricing
It really is a nicely crafted tool and does look rather handy. Mine is the silver with black writing which I like since it gives me the feel of a coin, albeit a VERRRRY large one. Again great craftsmanship, but I'm a bit underwhelmed for a 40 dollar price tag. For that I'd expect maybe a digital read out or something; not just an air bubble level.

Usage
Now I haven't truly given this enough green time to make any real conclusions but I have a few first impressions. For training yourself on 1-15 foot putts; very useful. Anything farther? Well.... Not very useful. Now I live in VERY flat country, and it is almost impossible to hide what direction the green is going so my opinions will be based mostly over this terrain. Now if I were to travel 4 hours northwest to get to my favorite golf spot Ruidoso NM I can see a very awesome niche for this tool.

I can read a mountain green about as good as I can fly off the face of the cliff it's sitting on. Which way is downhill? Where is the mountain that will effect this putt? I got NO... ZERO..NIL..NADA.. (I'd keep going with this but it's 6 am and other versions of 0 escape me ATM) chance of draining a putt up here.

Anyway where was I, ah yes, plop this puppy on a hillside green and I think I just improved my chances for success 10 fold.

Ok it's starting to get light so I'll leave it at this, jury is out on it's overall effectiveness vrs price point. however this gizmo does have a few good windows when given a chance it could really shine.

Is this device legal?

No bert.....they even point out at their site that the device cannot be used in competitive tourney play. They suggest at their site that it would be a great training tool for us and a great tool for caddies to use as they examine the course in preparation for play. I have one and I like it.

Some pretty good info guy's, thanks. Sounds like the jury thinks this pretty solid from 10 to 12 feet and in during practice.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Great review indeed. I think it would also be helpful for people who can't read any greens - as WestTex pointed out and also maybe for confidence after practicing with it. Might be a good present for a golfer in my life. Thx for the review THP!

wouldnt you if you had one!!! lol

No bert.....they even point out at their site that the device cannot be used in competitive tourney play. They suggest at their site that it would be a great training tool for us and a great tool for caddies to use as they examine the course in preparation for play. I have one and I like it.

Sums up my thoughts. Getting a similar device for next season.

Pete,

Is the similar device that you are thinking about the digital version that I have seen?

Back