TaylorMade Project 5 Golf Ball Review Thread

Atl you reference the B330s and having more spin. Do,you think it spins as much as the RX or RXS? The wear looks similar to other comparable brands

I can't comment on the RX or RXs. I have not played either ball. I obviously did not have objective measurements (e.g., launch monitor), but it was pretty clear that the Project 5 had more spin than the B330s. Shots consistently had more bite to them with the Project 5.

Like I said above, all performance balls (at least the ones that I have played) will scuff. It just seemed like these picked up some marks faster than I am used to seeing.

Great stuff so far guys. Hopefully my sleeve comes in the mail tomorrow so I can get them out on the course

Hopefully the scuffing will
A) turn out to be a fluke
B) be something that TMAG fixes quick and in a hurry.

Great seeing all the good reviews already. I hope my sleeve arrives soon.

I thought I'd start with a little background about me and my game. I've played golf most of my life casually and took it up seriously about 4 years ago after moving to California, year round golf got me addicted. I've had an official handicap for 3 years. I started out at about an 18 and have worked down to a 12 and have been fluctuating between there and 15 this year. I typically play about 40 rounds per year. With the majority of them coming at my home course of La Purisima in Lompoc, CA. I play in the monthly club tourneys and in January thru March I play in the SCGA team match play competition. So I do enjoy competitive golf. I wouldn't say I have any strengths or weakness on the course. My driver can get me in trouble just as well as my short irons. I'm a streaky golfer. I can get in the zone and rip off 5-6 pars in a row and then make a triple or 2 in a row.

I'd say for the past 2 years I've taking my golf ball selection seriously. Before I'd play what was on sale or what someone had given me. The last 3 balls I've played are the Penta Tp from July '11-Feb '12, then the e6 to August. Since I've been playing the 330-Rx. I chose the Pentas because my course is demanding around the greens. Thick rough and quick undulating greens. Short siding yourself can get you in trouble in a hurry. I was looking for green side control and that ball fit the bill. I switched to the e6 for 2 reasons, one I felt like I was having too many penalties off the tee and durability. The Pentas seemed to get chewed up pretty quick. The e6 did straighten out my ball flight, but after about 6 months I was craving the green side control again, so I went to the B330-RX. I chose the RX over the RXS because I didn't want too much spin off the tee. I've been very happy with the B330-RX. I've got the spin around the green, don't think it's as much as the penta, but obviously better than the e6. I do think the B330's are more durable than the Pentas and played 2 rounds over the weekend with the same ball. I also think the Bridgestones are better in the wind which is something I deal with a lot. 20 mph winds in the afternoon are the norm. So if you've made it this far you know a little about me and my game.

When the project 5s arrive I'll get my initial thoughts down and maybe short game session in this week before a round or 2 next weekend. Looking forward to my first testing experience as part of THP. If you have any questions or suggestions just let me know.

Interesting stuff early on here. Don't like the sound of the easy scuffing. No matter the performance of the ball, I have a hard time parting with a decent amount of cash and putting a ball in play that won't see it through the round.

As I looked through the posts i didn't see if anyone happened to comment on construction.
Have any of the testers noticed any seam on their balls from the manufacturing process?

As I looked through the posts i didn't see if anyone happened to comment on construction.
Have any of the testers noticed any seam on their balls from the manufacturing process?

Just looked over the ball. No visible seam.

Shark, I have not noticed a visible seam from manufacturing, but I will say this; the dimple pattern is very uniform and consistent. I notice with some balls, in an effort to create more dimples there is not a distinct pattern, but with the Project 5 there some to be quite the distinct pattern on these to how the dimples align in a line formation...if that makes sense.

Interesting stuff. First thought was how much the dimple pattern reminded me of another brand. Would have been cool if they'd figured out how to make them pentagons to go with the whole '5' theme.

Interesting stuff. First thought was how much the dimple pattern reminded me of another brand. Would have been cool if they'd figured out how to make them pentagons to go with the whole '5' theme.
That was the very first thing I noticed when I opened the box.

Interesting read so far guys. My game would obviously be different but I'm curious if you'd feel comfortable comparing the durability to the Hex Black. I consider it the best performing ball I've played but had to stop using it because of durability issues.

Once you get the feel on the course I'd be curious like others if the ball flies higher for u with the deep dimples. That would help my iron play (assuming little distance loss).

Just looked over the ball. No visible seam.

Make sure we go play a round while you test these balls...I'd like to see how they compare to my beloved Srixon Z Star's..

Kerry

That's a fair point. I started noticing wear issues pretty early in the session when I just hit a few pitches. One ball that I did not catch perfectly (was not bladed, was barely thin) left a mark. I also did not notice similar markings on the other balls I was using after the session.

I have seen a lot of comments in the thread raising concerns about durability. I don't want to have this snowball into a deal breaker for someone interested in the Project 5 ball. Obviously, no ball is going to stay perfect after you start using it. It just seemed to me that the Project 5 picked up marks a little quicker than my other ball. I really think it is a factor of the cover being soft, and there is going to be some trade off in exchange for having a really soft and workable ball.

The performance has been impressive though. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the ball reacts to my woods and for approach shots.

The wear reminds me of the durability issues I had with the first generation of the HX Tour ball's, they didn't respond well to chipping.

Still waiting on mine. Takes a little longer to get them out here in California. :crying:

Here goes my limited review so far and a little bit about myself. I have been playing golf off and on since I was about 10 but I have been playing consistently for the last two years. I had my handicap down to about an 11-12 a few months ago but since November my game has seem to have gone south for the winter. I think I just need a little more range time to get things back in order again, I am currently around a 15 handicap. I usually drive the ball around 240-260 and hit my 7 iron around 150 yards. I have been playing the NXT-S,e6, Vision X3:UV and the Hex Chrome, recently I have been playing ProV1's that I have found throughout the year because of the leaves on the ground.

My plan was to play a couple of rounds with the ball to get an overall feel of it during course conditions and try out the short game when the course wasn't that busy.

Well I played 18 holes on Saturday so I thought I would take it out and see what it could do. I will keep this part short and sweet. I was only able to play about two holes with it and I lost 2 balls:beat-up:. One on a par 5 that you have to hit your tee shot over some water and I ended up hitting it low worm burner that skipped across the water and into some love grass on the bank. I ended up dropping on the other side of the water and played my second Project 5 for the rest of the hole. I decided to put it away and wait until my swing came around before putting it in play again. On #17 I decided to tee one up and see what it could do since I had been driving the ball good most of the day, well I ended up pulling one down the left side and into someones leaf covered yard, needless to say I lost that one too:angry:. From the little time I spent with them on the practice green and the few shots I was able to make with them on the course, I can say they feel very soft off the putter and driver.

I played another 18 holes today at my home course so I was alot more familiar with the course and knew where I could and couldn't hit the ball. I ended up playing it on 10 of 18 holes and got a better feel of how the ball performs.

Driver- I was seeing a lot of extra distance with this ball compared to what I was use too and that surprised me especially in the cooler weather. I really like the feel of it off the driver, it is nice and soft but not overly soft. I also didn't notice any excessive side spin either.

Mid-Long Irons- Same feeling of nice and soft and didn't notice any distance loss at all with them. I didn't have any long iron shots into the green so I can't really tell you how they check up on the green.

Short Irons- Same as above for the feeling off the clubs, they do check up quite well around the greens with the short irons, I didn't get any that spun back on me but I think in warmer temps you could definitely make that happen.

Wedges/Chipping-
I think this is where this ball shines is around the green, you can really get the ball the check up really nice around the green with pitches and chips.

Overall I think this is a good ball off the tee and around the green as I didn't really lose any distance at all and it had exceptional spin around the green and great distance with the driver. I did end up losing another 2 balls today:angry:. One of them was on a drive that should have been in the fairway on a dogleg left par 4 uphill but I think I hit it long and got a bad bounce into the leaves and the rough. I lost the other one on a downhill Par 3 that I shanked off the toe and straight into the woods. I now only have 1 ball left so I am going to have to figure out the best way to use it to get good info out of it. I am quite upset with myself over losing 4 ball in the matter of two days of testing, I am just sick to my stomach about it. I never got to test the durability of the ball but I did notice some scuffs on it after just a few holes, but nothing too severe. Wish me luck on not losing the last ball. LOL

Really good early thoughts MQ. Looking forward to following along in your testing.

great job mightyquinn!!

This to me is a PRIME example of why I dont understand that a company wants you to put a ball through proper testing and yet they only send 5 golf balls. if all the testers were low hdcaps then I guess I could see it. But, when you tee up one of your 5 golf balls...."I hope I dont lose this" is in the back of your head and it keeps you from swinging like you normally do. Maybe playing careful. anyway, just a thought.

Here goes my limited review so far and a little bit about myself. I have been playing golf off and on since I was about 10 but I have been playing consistently for the last two years. I had my handicap down to about an 11-12 a few months ago but since November my game has seem to have gone south for the winter. I think I just need a little more range time to get things back in order again, I am currently around a 15 handicap. I usually drive the ball around 240-260 and hit my 7 iron around 150 yards. I have been playing the NXT-S,e6, Vision X3:UV and the Hex Chrome, recently I have been playing ProV1's that I have found throughout the year because of the leaves on the ground.

My plan was to play a couple of rounds with the ball to get an overall feel of it during course conditions and try out the short game when the course wasn't that busy.

Well I played 18 holes on Saturday so I thought I would take it out and see what it could do. I will keep this part short and sweet. I was only able to play about two holes with it and I lost 2 balls:beat-up:. One on a par 5 that you have to hit your tee shot over some water and I ended up hitting it low worm burner that skipped across the water and into some love grass on the bank. I ended up dropping on the other side of the water and played my second Project 5 for the rest of the hole. I decided to put it away and wait until my swing came around before putting it in play again. On #17 I decided to tee one up and see what it could do since I had been driving the ball good most of the day, well I ended up pulling one down the left side and into someones leaf covered yard, needless to say I lost that one too:angry:. From the little time I spent with them on the practice green and the few shots I was able to make with them on the course, I can say they feel very soft off the putter and driver.

I played another 18 holes today at my home course so I was alot more familiar with the course and knew where I could and couldn't hit the ball. I ended up playing it on 10 of 18 holes and got a better feel of how the ball performs.

Driver- I was seeing a lot of extra distance with this ball compared to what I was use too and that surprised me especially in the cooler weather. I really like the feel of it off the driver, it is nice and soft but not overly soft. I also didn't notice any excessive side spin either.

Mid-Long Irons- Same feeling of nice and soft and didn't notice any distance loss at all with them. I didn't have any long iron shots into the green so I can't really tell you how they check up on the green.

Short Irons- Same as above for the feeling off the clubs, they do check up quite well around the greens with the short irons, I didn't get any that spun back on me but I think in warmer temps you could definitely make that happen.

Wedges/Chipping-
I think this is where this ball shines is around the green, you can really get the ball the check up really nice around the green with pitches and chips.

Overall I think this is a good ball off the tee and around the green as I didn't really lose any distance at all and it had exceptional spin around the green and great distance with the driver. I did end up losing another 2 balls today:angry:. One of them was on a drive that should have been in the fairway on a dogleg left par 4 uphill but I think I hit it long and got a bad bounce into the leaves and the rough. I lost the other one on a downhill Par 3 that I shanked off the toe and straight into the woods. I now only have 1 ball left so I am going to have to figure out the best way to use it to get good info out of it. I am quite upset with myself over losing 4 ball in the matter of two days of testing, I am just sick to my stomach about it. I never got to test the durability of the ball but I did notice some scuffs on it after just a few holes, but nothing too severe. Wish me luck on not losing the last ball. LOL
Good writeup, Quinn. Love hearing about the greenside shots and chipping. Like I posted yesterday, that is usually a deal breaker for me on a ball, how does it react around the green on short shots.

No worries about losing the balls, it happens. It always seems like when you are focused on keeping them in play and not losing them, is when you start losing them like crazy.

great job mightyquinn!!

This to me is a PRIME example of why I dont understand that a company wants you to put a ball through proper testing and yet they only send 5 golf balls. if all the testers were low hdcaps then I guess I could see it. But, when you tee up one of your 5 golf balls...."I hope I dont lose this" is in the back of your head and it keeps you from swinging like you normally do. Maybe playing careful. anyway, just a thought.

I think I am going to try and get out on Thursday and just use this ball for like 180 yds in to see what it can do, so I have less chance of losing it that way. I think it is a really good golf ball so far!

I think I am going to try and get out on Thursday and just use this ball for like 180 yds in to see what it can do, so I have less chance of losing it that way. I think it is a really good golf ball so far!
thats not a bad idea. when I did testing I focused on around the green stuff and wedge stuff. Then when I had put all of that through the ringer is when I decided to take it to the course.

thats not a bad idea. when I did testing I focused on around the green stuff and wedge stuff. Then when I had put all of that through the ringer is when I decided to take it to the course.
That's similar to how I do it, One-T. I do wedge and short game on the practice green, then use them for shots with wedges on the course, then put them in play for Iron shots, then put them on the Tee. I figure I have a higher risk of losing them off the tee, so I test them out that way last.

That's similar to how I do it, One-T. I do wedge and short game on the practice green, then use them for shots with wedges on the course, then put them in play for Iron shots, then put them on the Tee. I figure I have a higher risk of losing them off the tee, so I test them out that way last.
thats exactly what my thinking was..haha.

Good thoughts so far Quinn. I also think WE and OneT give some solid advice.

I'm liking what I've read so far, I don't mind the softer cover and typically scuffing isn't a problem for me. I don't see the hex pattern, but then again I'm not looking to closely.

1T gave some solid advice above, that's really the only way to get through ball testing when your sample is small.

Nice quinn..........I really like the part where you think it might be going further off the driver! Further off the driver but yet spin around the greens?! Maybe....just maybe!

Back