Taylormade Pros not playing new Taylormade Equipment?

Hah! Dustin Johnson says in TMAG commercial that he's playing a driver that's better than the R11...then games the R11.

For integrity's sake I would have opted out of that commercial.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

I think this right here is the point the OP was making. I understand it and everything but I find it more telling of the that turd R11s more than anything.

I think this right here is the point the OP was making. I understand it and everything but I find it more telling of the that turd R11s more than anything.

I'm guessing he has an R11S that he's tinkering with but isn't ready to put it in tournament play yet.

I'm guessing he has an R11S that he's tinkering with but isn't ready to put it in tournament play yet.

Or its just not that good. He's had it available to him for quite a while I'm guesing. But I mean with 3,745 different combos it might take Dustin awhile to process.

Or its just not that good. He's had it available to him for quite a while I'm guesing. But I mean with 3,745 different combos it might take Dustin awhile to process.

Mmmmm Combo's....

--
DJ

LOL, you always make my day better buddy. Pure awesomeness.

LOL, you always make my day better buddy. Pure awesomeness.

Lol. That poor R11s. It did nothing to me! I'd still game one but man, ugh. I play the R11 still. Maybe I should be featured in a Taylormade ad.

Dustin seems like a guy that is *very* stubborn with his gear. If I recall correctly it took him a good chunk of last season before he switched from the R9 irons to the TP MBs. If I'm not mistaken he was gaming a black 3W as well for a good part of last year. Jason Day also played the R9s for a long time before switching.

For some of these guys who've had good seasons it's hard to change from something that has worked really well for them. That doesn't mean the newer clubs are inferior, it's just that they're reluctant to change because the clubs that came before were a) pretty good too and b) have worked well for them. In golf, there's a lot of to be said for going with what you know works. You know what the club's gonna do and that's comforting to a lot of us.

Plus, what's TMAG gonna do? "Hey Mr. King, DJ had a really good year with the R11 driver and he's probably not gonna change, even though we pay him a boatload to play our clubs. So we're not gonna do any commercials with him and the R11S or the RBZ because that would be untruthful, but we've got this other guy Johnson Wagner who really likes the RBZ, so we figure we're gonna make him the focal point of our marketing from now on. Sounds alright with you?"

Eventually I think several of the guys gaming Superfasts and R11's are gonna switch to the newer ones, but it might take time before they feel comfortable. I bet quite a few practice with them and are considering putting them in play.

I think they actually called DJ out, once, but the announcer siad something about his R11S still being made for him, not for sure if that was a cover up after he mentioned him using the older R11 or not.

Dustin seems like a guy that is *very* stubborn with his gear. If I recall correctly it took him a good chunk of last season before he switched from the R9 irons to the TP MBs. If I'm not mistaken he was gaming a black 3W as well for a good part of last year. Jason Day also played the R9s for a long time before switching.

For some of these guys who've had good seasons it's hard to change from something that has worked really well for them. That doesn't mean the newer clubs are inferior, it's just that they're reluctant to change because the clubs that came before were a) pretty good too and b) have worked well for them. In golf, there's a lot of to be said for going with what you know works. You know what the club's gonna do and that's comforting to a lot of us.

Plus, what's TMAG gonna do? "Hey Mr. King, DJ had a really good year with the R11 driver and he's probably not gonna change, even though we pay him a boatload to play our clubs. So we're not gonna do any commercials with him and the R11S or the RBZ because that would be untruthful, but we've got this other guy Johnson Wagner who really likes the RBZ, so we figure we're gonna make him the focal point of our marketing from now on. Sounds alright with you?"

Eventually I think several of the guys gaming Superfasts and R11's are gonna switch to the newer ones, but it might take time before they feel comfortable. I bet quite a few practice with them and are considering putting them in play.

Has Day even switched yet?

I know as of the WGC Match-play he was still hitting R9 Tp's as well as Burner SF 2.0 TP driver and FW. Though that was a few weeks ago.

I understand what youre saying, I really do. Not being sarcastic or anything at all. I find TM's marketing fascinating for two reasons... Its my background prior to my real life job and it always generates talk. It generates talk from those who arent equipment nuts like a lot of us because they just see DJ and the other guys then think, holy crap thats a good club and cool to have. Then from our side we see things like and call it out.

I know why they brought him over, but my whole thing is.... why if DJ himself, says in a commercial its better.. he's not gaming it? I definitely understand you have to play whats comfortable but to think they havent had enough time to decide if this club is truly better.. well I don't buy it at all.

Day isn't doing commercials hawking the R11's or the RBZ's... He is still playing the R9's from what I saw on TV. I know they do headcovers but when you have someone on TV, claiming this is so much better and they play, then they dont... I wouldnt go that route. But its working for them now. Eventually they're going to look like fools imo.

Pro's switch gear all the time. SOme are stubborn but some just play whats better. I could tell you stories and I'm sure you could tell me some but pro's arent as picky as we would think. Some will change on a whim or a few extra yards because it does matter that much to them. 4-7 yards for a pro I bet makes a lot more difference than it does for us.

I have my new Cleveland driver under my s2 cover. So the wife thinks I am using the same driver for 3 years lol

QFT!! I contemplate this on a regular basis...

As far as them using different clubs, it's all about selling product. It's part of their sponsorship agreement. No different than a basketball player that has a Nike contract wearing a pair of adidas IMO.

The pros are pickier with their gear than we are. They find something they like and stick with it. They are so neurotic it blows my mind.

Ha, have you read through the threads in the ALL THINGS EQUIPMENT section ?

Has Day even switched yet?

I was under the impression he gamed MCs, at least for a portion of last year? I may be mistaken though.

I know why they brought him over, but my whole thing is.... why if DJ himself, says in a commercial its better.. he's not gaming it? I definitely understand you have to play whats comfortable but to think they havent had enough time to decide if this club is truly better.. well I don't buy it at all.

Day isn't doing commercials hawking the R11's or the RBZ's... He is still playing the R9's from what I saw on TV. I know they do headcovers but when you have someone on TV, claiming this is so much better and they play, then they dont... I wouldnt go that route. But its working for them now. Eventually they're going to look like fools imo.

Pro's switch gear all the time. SOme are stubborn but some just play whats better. I could tell you stories and I'm sure you could tell me some but pro's arent as picky as we would think. Some will change on a whim or a few extra yards because it does matter that much to them. 4-7 yards for a pro I bet makes a lot more difference than it does for us.

Well, because TMAG wants him to say it. Does it get silly? Yeah it does, but in a way both sides are in a pinch. Dustin can't say "uh I don't wanna say that" (at least I think he can't, I haven't done any commercials...) and TMAG pretty much have to use him. He's one of the most recognizable athletes the sport has and the difference in sales (using him vs not using him) is probably significant. Then again, the majority of golfers aren't like us who can tell an R11 from an R11S on TV and call BS on the marketing.

Ultimately, I think guys who have found success and results to their liking are more reluctant to change than guys who are still searching. Obviously I'm not anywhere near these guys, but in the coming weeks I'm going to get fitted for a new driver, FW and rescue but I don't know if I'll change even if the numbers are better. I know what I'm getting right now, I average close to 300 with my driver and I'm reluctant to enter another "learning period" of 4-8 weeks with new woods.

<activate awesome accent>

"Awesomeballz?"

<deactivate awesome accent>

Lol. That poor R11s. It did nothing to me! I'd still game one but man, ugh. I play the R11 still. Maybe I should be featured in a Taylormade ad.

<activate awesome accent>

"Awesomeballz?"

<deactivate awesome accent>

LOL. I dont have an accent!!! haha.

I was under the impression he gamed MCs, at least for a portion of last year? I may be mistaken though.

Well, because TMAG wants him to say it. Does it get silly? Yeah it does, but in a way both sides are in a pinch. Dustin can't say "uh I don't wanna say that" (at least I think he can't, I haven't done any commercials...) and TMAG pretty much have to use him. He's one of the most recognizable athletes the sport has and the difference in sales (using him vs not using him) is probably significant. Then again, the majority of golfers aren't like us who can tell an R11 from an R11S on TV and call BS on the marketing.

Ultimately, I think guys who have found success and results to their liking are more reluctant to change than guys who are still searching. Obviously I'm not anywhere near these guys, but in the coming weeks I'm going to get fitted for a new driver, FW and rescue but I don't know if I'll change even if the numbers are better. I know what I'm getting right now, I average close to 300 with my driver and I'm reluctant to enter another "learning period" of 4-8 weeks with new woods.

Definitely understand. I bet he has had this driver for a while though and he has had time to adjust, much like Justin Rose. Just telling they aren't to me. Maybe its just not good for the pros, but Im a tour driver type high handicapper haha. Its a good discussion I believe and its fun to hear from both sides.

I paused my DVR today to see Sergio still playing R9tp's. No matter how much they get paid I think it is hard for them to change from clubs they know and trust. Wasn't Luke's early problems this year blamed on him changing to another Mizzy iron?

Then again, perhaps newer clubs might prevent Sergio from taking a 12 with 4 dunks. :D

LOL. I dont have an accent!!! haha.

Definitely understand. I bet he has had this driver for a while though and he has had time to adjust, much like Justin Rose. Just telling they aren't to me. Maybe its just not good for the pros, but Im a tour driver type high handicapper haha. Its a good discussion I believe and its fun to hear from both sides.

I also think there's something to be said about hitting it too far. I mean, really, Dustin reaches almost every par 5 on tour and several par 4s. He hits the R11 a bit shorter (according to ye ole Marketing) but he knows what happens, whereas the R11S goes further but maybe he doesn't have the same kind of confidence with it. Hell, I had better numbers with the SF 2.0 but it never felt like I knew where it was going. I just didn't like it even though I hit it a lot longer.

Plus, like others said, maybe the size bothers him. Looks are important.

I also think there's something to be said about hitting it too far. I mean, really, Dustin reaches almost every par 5 on tour and several par 4s. He hits the R11 a bit shorter (according to ye ole Marketing) but he knows what happens, whereas the R11S goes further but maybe he doesn't have the same kind of confidence with it. Hell, I had better numbers with the SF 2.0 but it never felt like I knew where it was going. I just didn't like it even though I hit it a lot longer.

Plus, like others said, maybe the size bothers him. Looks are important.

Its funny to think about that but you're right. If he is going too far, he may be in areas he doesn't know. I just think its comical Taylormade is touting "here is what I play and dont play now because this is better", yet they're playing what they have labeled themselves as inferior.

I can't imagine why TM would be telling people that last year's TM model is no good and that you need to go buy the new one, which is basically what their ads are saying. How does negative advertising toward your own clubs work exactly? Sergio's problems are all in his head not in his choice of clubs.

I can't imagine why TM would be telling people that last year's TM model is no good and that you need to go buy the new one, which is basically what their ads are saying. How does negative advertising toward your own clubs work exactly? Sergio's problems are all in his head not in his choice of clubs.

It works because they aren't banking on profiting from more R11 sales. They could care less if every R11 left on the sales shelf spontaneously combusted. The R11s is the money machine for them now.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Back