Taylormade Pros not playing new Taylormade Equipment?

I can't imagine why TM would be telling people that last year's TM model is no good and that you need to go buy the new one, which is basically what their ads are saying. How does negative advertising toward your own clubs work exactly? Sergio's problems are all in his head not in his choice of clubs.

It actually make a ton of sense. TM sold a bagillion R11 drivers last year, in terms of market share they are their own biggest competition. They know they aren't going to win over the Titleist loyalist, so who is their target audience? Who do they think are most likely to buy the R11s? The people who bought the R11. These people like TM and here is TM saying, "Hey you like the R11, well this one is better!" If the R11s is going to succeed in a sale stand point, TM has to win over the R11 people.

It actually make a ton of sense. TM sold a bagillion R11 drivers last year, in terms of market share they are their own biggest competition. They know they aren't going to win over the Titleist loyalist, so who is their target audience? Who do they think are most likely to buy the R11s? The people who bought the R11. These people like TM and here is TM saying, "Hey you like the R11, well this one is better!" If the R11s is going to succeed in a sale stand point, TM has to win over the R11 people.

Sorry but I don't buy it. I think it just says that all of the people that bought R11 drivers last year were fooled into buying an inferior product. Just my opinion.

Sorry but I don't buy it. I think it just says that all of the people that bought R11 drivers last year were fooled into buying an inferior product. Just my opinion.

It is an inferior product to the R11s, which is what TM are saying in their adds.

I agree 100%, in terms of customer acquisition it is much more cost effective to grow your relationships with existing customers than trying to add new ones.

I also find comparisons to the phone industry, you get a new phone, love it, and within a year it's probably obsolete and your wanting to buy a new.

It's actually pure GENIUS!!!

I agree 100%, in terms of customer acquisition it is much more cost effective to grow your relationships with existing customers than trying to add new ones.

I also find comparisons to the phone industry, you get a new phone, love it, and within a year it's probably obsolete and your wanting to buy a new.

It's actually pure GENIUS!!!

I think your comparison with the phone industry is spot on. Isn't this Apples model. Sell you an iPhone and then a year later sell you another one.

Not really. They can still say that the R11 was the best driver out there last year so it wasn't an inferior product, but that with a year of development they were able to improve upon the R11.

It's just like an ipad 2 vs the new ipad hd. They aren't saying the ipad 2 sucks, they're just saying they've made things even better

Jason day actually is in the RBZ commercial I've seen...

And I agree that even recently a lot of guys were using the R9 TP irons. I think Spencer Levin games those. Although I thought sergio switched? I could be wrong though.

And isn't DJ gaming the MC now?

I'm going to go buy a Ping i20 head cover on eBay and stick it on my G15 :)

Its not uncommon for pros to be hesitant to switch the the new equipment, so they put the new headcovers on their old clubs.
If you sponsored a player do YOU want them advertising to the world that they use a competitor's clubs by showing off their headcovers? At least by putting your headcovers on a competitors clubs it fools most people into thinking they dont use another brand's clubs.

Obviously equipment plays a big part in their games I think it's the confidence in the equipment rather than the equipment itself that instills the resistance to change. Most of these guys could hit great shots with a shoe tied to a stick.

Obviously equipment plays a big part in their games I think it's the confidence in the equipment rather than the equipment itself that instills the resistance to change. Most of these guys could hit great shots with a shoe tied to a stick.

That's a stretch...

In all honesty, why does it matter what clubs they use? It's all marketing. If DJ gets paid to talk great about the R11S on TV, so be it. Doesn't mean he has to use it. He's playing a Scotty now and had 588 wedges for a while, but he's not with Titleist or Cleveland... Just because a guy is sponsored by someone doesn't mean they use their gear or use the newest stuff.

Jason day actually is in the RBZ commercial I've seen...

And I agree that even recently a lot of guys were using the R9 TP irons. I think Spencer Levin games those. Although I thought sergio switched? I could be wrong though.

And isn't DJ gaming the MC now?

I also saw JDay in an RBZ commercial. Also DJ is using the TP MC along with the new ATV wedges.

Promoting a brand a pro isn't using is not exactly a new phenomenom. I was following Tom Watson in the 1983 Masters on Sunday as he was trying to catch eventual winner Seve. On the 10th hole (patrons could walk down the left side back then) Tom hooked his drive into the massive pines left right over my head, and the ball fell about 18 inches behind the trunk. A patron on the opposite side of the tree stepped over and was reaching down to pick up the ball when a gallery guard ran up and screamed "stand back". Anyway, I was right there, and took a good look at the ball - it was a Ram according to the label, but I knew my dimple designs, and I swear that the ball had the Titleist pattern of the time. Tom walked up, took one look at the ball's lie blocked by the pine (no full swing - stymied), grabbed a club, and fired a punch about 100 yards up the fairway; I swear Tom did all of this in less than 10 seconds. He went on to bogey and lose his momentum.

Wasn't there a thread like this about a year ago talking about pros not using the most recent ProV1? I couldn't find it on a search but had a lot of similar comments.

I agree, there is a ton of advertising/marketing done every weekend during televised golf tournaments. It'd be hard to say no to the paychecks to put a logo on your shirt, hat, pants, bag, etc, etc.

Jason Day also played the R9s for a long time before switching.

In the new Golf Digest it has Martin Laird featured as the "What's In My Bag" of the month, and he still plays R9 TP's and older Tour Preferred 3 and 4 irons.

They have to market the new merchandise. It's no big deal if you ever google WITB of some of these players it's shocking at how old some of the equipment is. Luke Donald also had a TM under a Mizuno headcover if I'm not mistaken

They're playing a club that works for them. I don't see how that is an issue for discussion.

I think that it speaks volumes about the equipment is all I am saying. I just want to get people's opinion on whether or not that speaks to the performance of the new clubs. If I could get $1,000's worth of clubs for free custom tuned to my game why would I not do it? I understand the equipment before is solid and they like it but the point of a manufacturer upgrading to new hardware is to make it better, if the pros don't want to play it that may suggest something, it may not...but it may also. Just leaving it up for discussion.

I actually agree with this. I could not say that I use something when I don't.

Haha exactly my point here! You're in a commercial talking about using equipment "superior" to the R11 when in fact you play the R11? Like uhhh?

i have my new cleveland driver under my s2 cover. So the wife thinks i am using the same driver for 3 years lol

brilliant !!

I think that it speaks volumes about the equipment is all I am saying. I just want to get people's opinion on whether or not that speaks to the performance of the new clubs. If I could get $1,000's worth of clubs for free custom tuned to my game why would I not do it? I understand the equipment before is solid and they like it but the point of a manufacturer upgrading to new hardware is to make it better, if the pros don't want to play it that may suggest something, it may not...but it may also. Just leaving it up for discussion.

I think you are overthinking it a little bit. Not all drivers are designed for all people, no matter what marketing suggests. Some drivers are geared more towards low spin and some are geared more towards high spin. At the highest level, its about filling gaps and making sure you are comfortable with what you are playing.

For what its worth, the percentage that switched to the new drivers from TaylorMade is quite high compared to most.

I think you are overthinking it a little bit. Not all drivers are designed for all people, no matter what marketing suggests. Some drivers are geared more towards low spin and some are geared more towards high spin. At the highest level, its about filling gaps and making sure you are comfortable with what you are playing.

For what its worth, the percentage that switched to the new drivers from TaylorMade is quite high compared to most.

Have those numbers changed at all though? Have some of the guys that went to the R11s switched back to the R11 and maybeeven some of the RBZ guys going back to the SF?

I'm just curious. I know it's marketing, but I cant help but chuckle when i think about the "I'm playing the R11s because.." and then theyre not playing it.

I think the way the ad is presented makes it a little more of a conversation than just a headcover. Even the RBZ commercial just has the guys hitting and talking about the club vs saying 'this leaves my old club behind'.

Have those numbers changed at all though? Have some of the guys that went to the R11s switched back to the R11 and maybeeven some of the RBZ guys going back to the SF?

I'm just curious. I know it's marketing, but I cant help but chuckle when i think about the "I'm playing the R11s because.." and then theyre not playing it.

Sometimes. Just as sometimes, they switch the other way. However the tour use numbers on the R11S is quite high percentage wise when you look at comparable "switches" that take place.

Guys... I switched from the R11 to the R11s. What more do you need?

There's still this feeling haunting me that wants the R9 TP irons... but the MCs aren't going anywhere.

Guys... I switched from the R11 to the R11s. What more do you need?

There's still this feeling haunting me that wants the R9 TP irons... but the MCs aren't going anywhere.

Update the sig then. You know what they say, it's not official until you update your status. That usually applies to Facebook relationship statuses, but still.

Back