Taylormade Pros not playing new Taylormade Equipment?

TaylorMadeSKG

Reaction score
Handicap
Don't know if anybody else noticed this, but during the WGC Cadillac Championship this weekend I paused my DVR to notice that BOTH Dustin Johnson and Tournament winner Justin Rose are both using the R11 driver still, NOT the R11S. However, if you notice real slowly (check back on your recordings) they're both using the new R11S head cover so when they put it back in the bag and the cameras zoom in on it it looks like they are all reaping the new equipment. I noticed it because you can see the red sole plate is the triangle for the 3 positions on the bottom as opposed to the 5 on the R11S and the color change on the bottom. Anybody have any idea why this is? The new equipment must not be too good from Taylormade if the pros were tuned into it but opt not to use it. Thoughts? It did seem that way on the videos posted by Taylormade about tuning Dustin Johnson and various other tour pros on to the new equipment, most of them hit their drives further and more accurate in the R11 tuning videos from last year than the new drivers. Just thought it was interesting...

Lee Westwood has a PING G20 headcover on his G10 driver. They do it to sell product.

I hit both of the newest TM drivers yesterday, and I can safely say I prefer the 2007 Burner. TM has some classics, but for some the new are longer. Different strokes.

The original R11 is a players driver, thats thing just fits those guys. Plus, they ar getting 17 more yards from their 3 woods so I dont think they even need drivers.

The original R11 is a players driver, thats thing just fits those guys. Plus, they ar getting 17 more yards from their 3 woods so I dont think they even need drivers.

That is a great point.

Peter Hanson was all decked out in "17" and RBZ gear, however, he was playing Superfast 2.0.

Its marketing, its advertising.

They're playing a club that works for them. I don't see how that is an issue for discussion.

While we use head covers to sell ourselves as golfers, the pros use them to sell equipment. GMac had a Callaway driver under a Srixon headcover. There are countless other examples as well.

Heck, I keep my bettinardi under a Seemore THP head cover.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Probably because the R11s feels like you're hitting rocks. I kid :) that's just what it felt like for me, but as someone above mentioned the R11 is a players club with a smaller clubhead, it might suit DJ's and Justin Rose's eye better then the new driver, it's all just promotion.

They're playing a club that works for them. I don't see how that is an issue for discussion.

Agree here and exactly what everyone is saying.... To sell new products.

Tapaway!

Probably because the R11s feels like you're hitting rocks. I kid :) that's just what it felt like for me, but as someone above mentioned the R11 is a players club with a smaller clubhead, it might suit DJ's and Justin Rose's eye better then the new driver, it's all just promotion.

It felt the same way to me with stock shaft it in and only slightly better with a TP shaft.

Tapaway!

Agreed. New doesn't necessarily mean better

Tappin!

It felt the same way to me with stock shaft it in and only slightly better with a TP shaft.

Tapaway!

I only hit it with the stock shaft but I decided it wasn't for me.

I saw this for Justin Rose didn't find it surprising but I still found it ironic in his commercial haha

Lee Westwood has a PING G20 headcover on his G10 driver. They do it to sell product.

yup and luke donald puts a mizuno headcover on his TM driver.

I have my new Cleveland driver under my s2 cover. So the wife thinks I am using the same driver for 3 years lol

I have my new Cleveland driver under my s2 cover. So the wife thinks I am using the same driver for 3 years lol

Now that's funny!!!!

The pros are pickier with their gear than we are. They find something they like and stick with it. They are so neurotic it blows my mind.

They all should game Titleist drivers anyways. Titleist is for real players.

The pros are pickier with their gear than we are. They find something they like and stick with it. They are so neurotic it blows my mind.
Professional athletes in general are stubborn as heck when it comes to finding something they like, then switching.

You know it's not just them, players from other brands play TM and other gear but put their sponsor headcover on it, I always thought that was weird as well.

Hah! Dustin Johnson says in TMAG commercial that he's playing a driver that's better than the R11...then games the R11.

For integrity's sake I would have opted out of that commercial.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

They're just walking billboards and get paid to be such. The old saying "Do as I say, not as I do" comes to mind here.

Hah! Dustin Johnson says in TMAG commercial that he's playing a driver that's better than the R11...then games the R11.

For integrity's sake I would have opted out of that commercial.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

I actually agree with this. I could not say that I use something when I don't.

Back