TaylorMade R11 Irons Reviews

I played in my matchplay league Sunday morning and had a pretty decent round with the R11's. I didn't pull any shots nearly as bad as I did Saturday, but instead hit them mostly straight or a slight push. These irons are so easy to hit and I am shocking myself with some of the distances I am seeing. I had 136 on a par 3 and decided to hit a hard PW. I flew the pin by about 5 yards! The ball flight was fairly high and it just sat right down next to its pitch mark.

I attempted to go to the range Sunday evening, but it was closed. Instead, I just went out on the course and played a few holes. I dropped some balls here and there to try and hone in on the distances. I threw two balls near the 150 yd mark and lasered the pin to be 153. I pulled the 9i and hit two balls that ended up just right of the pin, which is where I aimed thinking I would draw/pull the ball. When I went up to the green I noticed I had one pin high and the other was about 10' beyond the first. The ball flight was high and the feel was great at impact.

I hope I can get out on the range this week after it reopens from all of the rain/flooding. I think I am in need of hitting a bunch of balls with each iron and ironing out the distances.

Esox, I think this is the thread you are looking for.

Forum leader FTW!

Mmm time for some R11 irons updates. Who's going to feed me?

Have I made some insightful comments in it?

Kevin

Can't wait to update this thread tomorrow, with more info on the R11's and hopefully some more video. Paired with the right shaft I can't believe how tight the dispersion is, and how far the ball is travelling. TaylorMade has said that this is the most complete iron they have ever made and I have to say I agree with them. The tour sole, as they call it, to me simply cuts through the turf better than any other irons I have played, it is also the thinnest soled iron I have played so that could have something to do with it, but it just cuts through like a hot knife through butter, but it doesn't dig in.

Any questions, or shots anyone is interested in hearing about when I am out playing tomorrow?

Yes you have and you don't even own these. Well done.

I do what I can. Notice how I mention the CBs quite often? It's all part of an elaborate plan.

Kevin

Can't wait to update this thread tomorrow, with more info on the R11's and hopefully some more video. Paired with the right shaft I can't believe how tight the dispersion is, and how far the ball is travelling. TaylorMade has said that this is the most complete iron they have ever made and I have to say I agree with them. The tour sole, as they call it, to me simply cuts through the turf better than any other irons I have played, it is also the thinnest soled iron I have played so that could have something to do with it, but it just cuts through like a hot knife through butter, but it doesn't dig in.

Any questions, or shots anyone is interested in hearing about when I am out playing tomorrow?

Did you end up changing shafts? Sorry if I missed this part somewhere.

Did you end up changing shafts? Sorry if I missed this part somewhere.

Nope, the PX 6.0's are just perfect for me, and these irons.

Sounds like the turf interaction with these clubs would make them ideal for knockdown shots. I want to hear about left handed Canadian R11 knockdown shots.

Kevin

Sounds like the turf interaction with these clubs would make them ideal for knockdown shots. I want to hear about left handed Canadian R11 knockdown shots.

Kevin

I'm going to hit some just for you Kevin. Its supposed to be windy here tomorrow, so it will be the perfect chance to knockdown some R11's, left handed of course.

Im curious if you have hit these? Because I am seeing similar distance and dont understand the ball shooting off the face more.
Of course I have. I wouldnt be commenting on them if I havent.

Kevin

haha, the R11's are great for knockers. Everyone should embrace the knockdown.

Be quiet DJ.

True story: I hit a knockdown PW on a par 3 and pulled it about 15' left. Hit a full 50* and stuck it 3'.

Of course I have. I wouldnt be commenting on them if I havent.

And you saw distance differences between these and the 2.0s because the ball is "shooting off the face more"?
How was your testing done? I am really curious if you have some numbers?
You said the lofts werent the same (they are in half the set) and I am curious about this ball shooting off hte face more that you are seeing?

I am so intrigued by these irons! Need to find somewhere to hit them outdoors. From all everyone is saying, it seems to me like these would be a little less GI than my X22s without giving up any of the benefits of a GI iron - that's exactly what I'm looking for in my next set.

From what I have been hearing I am not gonna allow myself to hit these irons. Lately stuff I hit at the store follows me home.

Tapatalk

Did I see that these have Project X shafts on them? If so, I wonder why they switched from the KBS ones? I loved the KBS ones in the R9's!

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

From what I have been hearing I am not gonna allow myself to hit these irons. Lately stuff I hit at the store follows me home.

Tapatalk

Abstinence is the safest form of not buying anything. I do it too.

Did I see that these have Project X shafts on them? If so, I wonder why they switched from the KBS ones? I loved the KBS ones in the R9's!

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

CB had PX's installed in his as a custom option. The standard shaft in the R11's are KBS 90.

CB had PX's installed in his as a custom option. The standard shaft in the R11's are KBS 90.

That is correct, I was fit for the px shafts so had those installed, the KBS tour 90's as stock are GREAT shafts though.

Back