TaylorMade SIM Drivers

I thought SIM mean't that it only performs as advertised on a TM SIMulator...:D

Last edited:
I didnt think id like the matte two tone finish as much as i do. I thought it might distract me a bit. It doesnt....at all. In fact i think it helps me differentiate the ball and the club face a bit.
IMO it's the best looking crown in golf right now. Heck maybe even the best looking crown ever.

Got to try the Sim and Sim Max drivers at the range yesterday (both with the same shaft - my Aldila Rogue 130). The reg Sim is def too low spin for me. If I considered one, it would be the Max. The shape of the heads seems pretty odd to me, but I hit some really nice ones.
How’s it seem odd? Like @KEV and I both feel, in our opinion it’s one of the best crowns in golf right now and I freaking love the sale. So, I’m curious what seems odd as I haven’t even remotely thought that.

How’s it seem odd? Like @KEV and I both feel, in our opinion it’s one of the best crowns in golf right now and I freaking love the sale. So, I’m curious what seems odd as I haven’t even remotely thought that.
Well it does have a boat rudder on the bottom, that's weird looking. But the crown is awesome.

The rear shaping is very bulbous out towards the toe, certainly in comparison to the Mav SZ I have. I consider the Mav SZ to be a more traditional head shape.

The reg Sim is less so than the Sim Max (slightly more toe side).

The rear shaping is very bulbous out towards the toe, certainly in comparison to the Mav SZ I have. I consider the Mav SZ to be a more traditional head shape.

The reg Sim is less so than the Sim Max (slightly more toe side).
Interesting. I’d love to see them next to one another. Could be the two tone?

SOUND........theres something definitive about the sound of this driver vs the recent releases from other OEMs over the last couple of years. I hate to call it an old school sound but, thats the only thing that comes to mind at the moment. I love the sound and with that i love the feel so much. When struck well.....you know you hit it well. When struck poorly, you arent disappointed in the feel or sound as much as some other drivers ive played.
I've gotten a ton of complements from my playing partners on the sound. It might be one of my favorite parts of the driver!

Interesting. I’d love to see them next to one another. Could be the two tone?
Maybe.....dunno, just the shaping seems quite different to my eye now that I'm so used to the Mav SZ.

Funny thing about the sound. I have to say that the Mav SZ has a fantastic sound to it. Yet at the same time, I really like the muffled sound the Sim has. I like both even hough they are quite different from each other.

I tend to like the sound of any club when I look up and see the ball screaming down my intended line though....lol

Maybe.....dunno, just the shaping seems quite different to my eye now that I'm so used to the Mav SZ.
thats interesting as the previous driver to this for me was the Epic Flash. I guess i havent looked (mainly cause it didnt bother me) but id assume the Flash is very similar to the Mav. Oddly enough, when I hit the Mav....i hated it. lol Hated the sound, the feel the color. Just was visually unappealing in all to my eye 🤷‍♂️

thats interesting as the previous driver to this for me was the Epic Flash. I guess i havent looked (mainly cause it didnt bother me) but id assume the Flash is very similar to the Mav. Oddly enough, when I hit the Mav....i hated it. lol Hated the sound, the feel the color. Just was visually unappealing in all to my eye 🤷‍♂️

No, totally different sound from Epic Flash to MAVRIK.

I think sound is a unique thing and can be impacted by a number of variables.

Hitting indoors (depending on surrounding space etc.) makes drivers sound fairly different to me than outdoors. I've also found that changes shafts, ball etc. can also impact the sound a driver makes. Not to mention the obvious one - strike point.

Something about the size, shaping, sound of the Sim makes me want to just crush the damn thing. I'm a bit more reserved with my SZ. I'm not sure if the head sizes are different, but the Sim presents larger to me (could be the white accents etc) - which tells my brain to go ahead and swing away. Fun to feel that confidence there....

Man, so many great drivers out now to test and mess with. I really think there are just so many fantastic options to choose from.

No, totally different sound from Epic Flash to MAVRIK.
yes i know different sound.....we were talking shapes though

I think sound is a unique thing and can be impacted by a number of variables.

Hitting indoors (depending on surrounding space etc.) makes drivers sound fairly different to me than outdoors. I've also found that changes shafts, ball etc. can also impact the sound a driver makes. Not to mention the obvious one - strike point.

Something about the size, shaping, sound of the Sim makes me want to just crush the damn thing. I'm a bit more reserved with my SZ. I'm not sure if the head sizes are different, but the Sim presents larger to me (could be the white accents etc) - which tells my brain to go ahead and swing away. Fun to feel that confidence there....

Man, so many great drivers out now to test and mess with. I really think there are just so many fantastic options to choose from.
Totally agree. I was honestly shocked i even picked up a TM driver to test. I had stayed away for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng time as i thought there stuff was just not right for me and hadn't come out with anything in my mind noteworthy enough to try in the last 15years. lol. The best part? I was surprised and even more surprised i went away from Callaway which i played for 7-8 years straight.. Definitely something for everyone out there if you're willing to put the time in and find it.

yes i know different sound.....we were talking shapes though

You mentioned sound, so just wanted to put it in there.

Finally hit SIM today, for the first time since launch.

Hoooooly wow, not what I expected. Best word I can use to describe is 'clack'

Not thunk, not thwack, not tink, not crack.

CLACK.

The weight video @JB posted On social via club champion is concerning. 1-2g isn’t a huge deal to me, 4+ variances though is concerning.

I can't talk to the driver but the SIM Max 3 wood I purchased directly from TM now rattles when I swing. So thats a cool new feature. Maybe not just swing weight issues going on there.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

The weight video @JB posted On social via club champion is concerning. 1-2g isn’t a huge deal to me, 4+ variances though is concerning.

Always check specs.

I didn't like seeing that at all. I like a little heavier driver head weight and I don't know how much feel difference that would make but it's disappointing to see.

I didn't like seeing that at all. I like a little heavier driver head weight and I don't know how much feel difference that would make but it's disappointing to see.
It’s a big reason why I check everything I order and get in, all manufacturers. I also call in after I make the order to further request a swing weight or whatever, and that usually does the trick.

Off the shelf though, this is potentially scary for golfers. Though I definitely don’t believe TM is the only one guilty of this if we were to go a store and just start weighing heads....but man imagine all the funny looks we would get too haha

It’s a big reason why I check everything I order and get in, all manufacturers. I also call in after I make the order to further request a swing weight or whatever, and that usually does the trick.

Off the shelf though, this is potentially scary for golfers. Though I definitely don’t believe TM is the only one guilty of this if we were to go a store and just start weighing heads....but man imagine all the funny looks we would get too haha
That would be hilarious :ROFLMAO:. Walk in, pull out the scale and start taking clubs apart.

That would be hilarious :ROFLMAO:. Walk in, pull out the scale and start taking clubs apart.
Would be amazing. :p

Finally hit SIM today, for the first time since launch.

Hoooooly wow, not what I expected. Best word I can use to describe is 'clack'

Not thunk, not thwack, not tink, not crack.

CLACK.
Haha I don't know if CLACK is the word I'd use, but it's definitely a little different.

Back