The 2013-14 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't see the infatuation with Gruden. He had a great season in his first with the Bucs, but then it was all downhill from there, never won another playoff game. He has the reputation of a QB guru, but in 7 years with the Bucs he never developed a servicable QB, much less a star. He's an X's and O guy, but he's a West Coast offense guy, and offense that isn't really highly sought after in NCAA or NFL at this point. On top of all that he has no college experience, why would he be the guy Texas wants? It's certain a splash higher but have they fallen that far that they would go after the splash hire to help recruiting? I certainly don't think so.

I don't really know Texas football at all but I'd see them going after someone with college head coaching experience that has already had some success at a mid level program, much like Mack Brown had at UNC.

Saban has won 3 NC's at Alabama....you think he will go be a DC in the NFL? That's a demotion.

He has 4 rings with 2 schools combined already. He could a take a decent program and bring in recruits based on his name alone.

He has 4 rings with 2 schools combined already. He could a take a decent program and bring in recruits based on his name alone.

Yeah, Saban isn't going to Texas or the NFL as a coordinator. Not a chance.

I would be willing to make a wager on it.

Biggest reason Saban doesn't go to Texas is control. He has full control of EVERYTHING at bama. Bama was desperate for a coach when they hired him, Texas is not at that point. He may leave bama, but it won't be a situation like the one at Texas.

Biggest reason Saban doesn't go to Texas is control. He has full control of EVERYTHING at bama. Bama was desperate for a coach when they hired him, Texas is not at that point. He may leave bama, but it won't be a situation like the one at Texas.

NFL would be the only place I could see Saban going...and I think he will give it one more shot before he retires. If Bama has to pay him $10 Million a year to match a Texas or Notre Dame, they would be stupid not to given the amount of money that the immense success brings. Besides, I don't see the resurrection of a typical power like a Texas as a new challenge to Saban, he already did that at Bama.

NFL would be the only place I could see Saban going...and I think he will give it one more shot before he retires. If Bama has to pay him $10 Million a year to match a Texas or Notre Dame, they would be stupid not to given the amount of money that the immense success brings. Besides, I don't see the resurrection of a typical power like a Texas as a new challenge to Saban, he already did that at Bama.

I agree, I don't think he leaves unless its for the NFL. If he were to leave for a college program, I would think it woudl be for a program with resources, but no recent history of success, like you said for a new challenge to prove his role as the top coach in college football. A UNC, Okie State or even a UCF. I just don't see what Texas would have to offer that bama doesn't, well besides a lack of that hideous hounds tooth.

I agree, I don't think he leaves unless its for the NFL. If he were to leave for a college program, I would think it woudl be for a program with resources, but no recent history of success, like you said for a new challenge to prove his role as the top coach in college football. A UNC, Okie State or even a UCF. I just don't see what Texas would have to offer that bama doesn't, well besides a lack of that hideous hounds tooth.

Texas has what just about every coach is looking for in a job: lots of money, support from the State and it's politicians, a fan base that stretches nationwide and ultimate power to run a program their way. Make no mistake that the next coach that is hired will be bringing his "his" guys and not the programs. But Texas does offer Saban one last thing, and it's a big IF, but it's a program that is down in the dumps and shouldn't be. He could be the guy that comes in with the S on his back and does what he does to bring it back to a top program again. You know he licks his chops at an opportunity in doing that again. Would just add to his legacy. But it will never happen for a lot of reasons already stated.

I can see the control side, the other part is, I just don't know why he would want to leave.

I can see the control side, the other part is, I just don't know why he would want to leave.

Ego. Plain and simple. Saban has plenty of it, and it is never satisfied. FWIW, it's also why he is so darned successful.

You forgiven your head coach yet for his name calling!?:D
Of course, he was just saying what the rest of us were thinking.

The weirdest part of the whole thing, was that the comments were supposed to be in private, and were from 2 years ago, I was more angry with the loss to UCLA then him calling us fans names!!!

Of course, he was just saying what the rest of us were thinking.

The weirdest part of the whole thing, was that the comments were supposed to be in private, and were from 2 years ago, I was more angry with the loss to UCLA then him calling us fans names!!!

Have to agree with you. I could care less that Bo called fans names, a lot of them deserve it. But what happened Saturday against UCLA was downright pathetic, he needs to get his team playing better football.

This is the thing that Saban has done which is so smart. He has the nation convinced that the only sure route to the NFL is through him. How he managed to convince them of that, I don't know, but it was a very smart thing to do.

The truth of the matter is, the NFL doesn't care where you went to school or how many championship rings you have or whether or not Nick Saban was your coach. If you can show them you have size, speed and tools to play at an NFL level, they'll take you.

Have to agree with you. I could care less that Bo called fans names, a lot of them deserve it. But what happened Saturday against UCLA was downright pathetic, he needs to get his team playing better football.
And he needs to get them playing better fast, the Big 10 isn't the SEC or even the Pac 12, but it's going to be tough in conference for sure!

Attending the Purdue/ND game at night was awesome!!!
a4yveqe4.jpg
uhebyvy9.jpg

University of Florida is wearing their Nike Combat Uniforms in this weekend's game vs Tennessee...
guqahe5e.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Didnt work Colt.

Didnt work Colt.

What do you mean? Showing up on my computer...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

I see it. Jorts and all

Now it shows up.
We dont need combat gear after watching Tennessee play last week.
Signed,
UF Fan

Is Tennessee going to be wearing the same brown pants they wore last week?

Oh, they started out white?

Couldnt tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back