The 2021 Titleist Experience

Here we go with the seventh hole playing (BT 303yds / WT 287 yds) par 4. This hole could be a turning point in these friendly matches. Do you go for the green with hopes of making a 2-3 or end up making 12? Or play it safe with an iron off the tee? Expect to see some drama here at the 7th.

IMG_5634.jpeg

The seventh hole is a very good, short par 4 that offers the player a chance of making 2 or 12. Playing just over 300 yards from the middle tees, this is a very reachable par 4.

Driving the ball over the small hill in the middle of the fairway, the player must fit the tee shot over the middle left third of the hill in order to hit the fairway. The landing area is divided by an unseen ridge that will kick the tee shot left if the tee shot is offline and into a severe arroyo rough. Chances of a good lie here are less than winning the lottery. If the ball lands to the right of the ridge it will funnel into the bunker complex which is easier to play from than the rough.

Some players will elect to lay up from the tee with a shot that must land to the left of the 150-marker in order to run back to the middle. A bunker on the hillside makes this lay up more difficult.

The green is elevated and slopes from left to right with three distinct areas which step down like stairs. Small pot bunkers behind this green make recoveries from over the green equal to Miracles on 34th Street.

The green’s elevation drop is dramatic and makes putting here from left to right tricky. When the pin is in front, the slope will help with second shots allowing you to aim past the pin and the ball will work back towards it. Otherwise, the player must keep the second or third below the pin in order to have any chance.

Long putts from lower levels of this green to the upper parts will remind players of practice putts on our lower putting green nicknamed the Serpentine Green. I suggest taking a few of these before playing in order to gauge the distances and breaks. You are never out of the match at any point because so much can happen so fast on this hole.

Teams are out!

Contest is out!

I'm so freaking pumped for you all! This one is going to be SPECIAL, and a hell of a lot of fun to follow!

Man I miss one day and this thread and I'm behind five pages. I figured something was going on when I saw the contest thread this morning! Now I'm even more excited to follow!

Here we go…

As we arrive at the eighth hole, a beast of a Par 3, playing (BT 209 yds / WT 189 yds) with the typical wind in the players face. Let’s just say I have a feeling this hole will be tough!!!

IMG_5635.jpeg

The 8th hole is a par three that presents unique challenges. The hole normally plays into a breeze that can make the large green one of the most elusive on the course. The size of the green also tends to lull the player into accepting any shot on the green without taking notice of the slopes on the green. The green slopes from the back to the front and from the player’s right to left. The green is also divided into four “zones” and the player must try to get the ball into the correct zone to have an easier putt.

This is also one of the few holes on the course that does not have run up qualities featuring a false front with a deep bunker on the right side and native arroyo on the left. The right-side bunker will catch many shots with many shots coming to rest near the right side and leaving you a second shot 25 feet below the surface of the green. Golfers will discover that sandy lies are the norm in the native area on the left side of the green too.

Players chipping from the front can use the architect’s design to their advantage with back pin positions by working the ball off the generous slopes behind the green. Chipping to front pin positions are straightforward, but require correct distance. In my mind, this makes rear pin positions easier than front pin positions on this hole.

Here we go…

As we arrive at the eighth hole, a beast of a Par 3, playing (BT 209 yds / WT 189 yds) with the typical wind in the players face. Let’s just say I have a feeling this hole will be tough!!!

View attachment 9034984

The 8th hole is a par three that presents unique challenges. The hole normally plays into a breeze that can make the large green one of the most elusive on the course. The size of the green also tends to lull the player into accepting any shot on the green without taking notice of the slopes on the green. The green slopes from the back to the front and from the player’s right to left. The green is also divided into four “zones” and the player must try to get the ball into the correct zone to have an easier putt.

This is also one of the few holes on the course that does not have run up qualities featuring a false front with a deep bunker on the right side and native arroyo on the left. The right-side bunker will catch many shots with many shots coming to rest near the right side and leaving you a second shot 25 feet below the surface of the green. Golfers will discover that sandy lies are the norm in the native area on the left side of the green too.

Players chipping from the front can use the architect’s design to their advantage with back pin positions by working the ball off the generous slopes behind the green. Chipping to front pin positions are straightforward, but require correct distance. In my mind, this makes rear pin positions easier than front pin positions on this hole.
This is one my my three finalists for favorite hole at Black Mesa (along with 10 and 14). Definitely a good test for the top end of these new bags of yours. I love long par 3s like these: long, intimidating, but ultimately very fair. I played it into a steady 20 mph headwind - especially hard to deal with on such a downhill shot. But you will notice that the short and straight miss leaves a relatively tame up-and-down where the worst score you will make is bogey. Here are my photos from the back tee and short of the green. Lots more room up there than you think from the tee!
93472B6D-1F4B-4969-A3CF-0A6C645744C2.jpeg
52920639-5013-44D6-97FC-7D635C14576C.jpeg

Some of these holes look hard! Excited that this is now a team event with a competition attached to it!!

Quick announcement. At our meet and greet we have invited the director of golf from Black Mesa to come by and talk a little bit about the course. Answer any questions and meet everybody. She is awesome and with a competition in place I am sure any tips will be appreciated.

Quick announcement. At our meet and greet we have invited the director of golf from Black Mesa to come by and talk a little bit about the course. Answer any questions and meet everybody. She is awesome and with a competition in place I am sure any tips will be appreciated.
That's awesome!! Really cool to see the course get fully behind this event as well!

This week is going to crawl by.
Ready for this thingnto get kicked off!

You boys all working in the days leading up to this, or did you take off?

Ready to see some course and gear pictures… this is going to be a fun one

I work Monday then hit the road bright and early 6am Tuesday morning. Think I get to ABQ around 5:30pm. So a fairly long travel day

I work Monday then hit the road bright and early 6am Tuesday morning. Think I get to ABQ around 5:30pm. So a fairly long travel day
sounds like a decently long day, but it will be SO worth it. That meet and Greet sounds like its going to be a good time!

This is one my my three finalists for favorite hole at Black Mesa (along with 10 and 14). Definitely a good test for the top end of these new bags of yours. I love long par 3s like these: long, intimidating, but ultimately very fair. I played it into a steady 20 mph headwind - especially hard to deal with on such a downhill shot. But you will notice that the short and straight miss leaves a relatively tame up-and-down where the worst score you will make is bogey. Here are my photos from the back tee and short of the green. Lots more room up there than you think from the tee!
View attachment 9035000
View attachment 9035001
Damn that hole will provide some theatrical fun.

I went with a combo set. 4/5 t-200, 6-gw t-100s with px lz 6.0’s. Standard length/loft and 1* flat in the 6-gw standard lie on the t-200’s
Hey this is my setup coming as well. :eek: Although it may be February before I see them

Reactions: MH

Your dead to me but I'll answer your question anyway with a pop. JK I'm working through next Tuesday in the Beverly Hills area. So not only working but can't follow the forum much during the day.

Back