The Jordan Spieth Thread

Starting next year, 1/2 of the tour cards have to be earned through a new Finals Tournament.
http://www.pgatour.com/2012/h/12/12/eligibility/index.html

Eligibility for the Finals will be as follows:
• The top-75 money winners on the Web.com Tour money list at the conclusion of the Web.com Tour regular season.
• Players who finish 126-200 on the PGA TOUR's FedExCup points list at the conclusion of the PGA TOUR's regular season.
• Non-members who have earned enough FedExCup points based on their performance on the PGA TOUR to place them 126-200 on that points list.

The 50 PGA TOUR cards will be awarded as follows:
The 25 leading money winners on the Web.com Tour will be guaranteed cards at the end of the regular season.
• Another 25 cards will go to those players who earn the most cumulative money in the four Finals events.

A Web.com Tour Finals money list reflecting earnings in the four Finals' events will be in effect, with all players starting with $0. For those in the Finals, a player's finish on the Finals' money list will determine his position within the PGA TOUR priority ranking, which is used to form fields for TOUR events, with two exceptions. The Web.com Tour's leading money winner during the regular season and the player who earns the most money during the Web.com Tour Finals will be fully exempt, meaning each is guaranteed a spot in PGA TOUR events the following season (excluding invitationals). Both will earn invitations to THE PLAYERS.

The 48 remaining players will be slotted next in priority after the top 125 off the FedExCup points list. The 2013-14 PGA TOUR season will start in October, 2013.

The field size for all four Finals' tournaments is projected to be around 144 players, depending on overlap between players and other eligibility for the PGA TOUR.
The tournaments will have purses of $1 million, with first prize being $180,000.
They will be 72-hole stroke-play events, with a 36-hole cut coming at the Web.com Tour's standard 60 and ties.
interesting

Too soon for him. These guys undervalue confidence they could get by spending a few seasons on the Web.com tour. It's a long term plan that few, if any, decide on instead of going straight to the big show.

Too soon for him. These guys undervalue confidence they could get by spending a few seasons on the Web.com tour. It's a long term plan that few, if any, decide on instead of going straight to the big show.

Turning pro doesn't mean he can't spend seasons on the web.com tour, it just means he gets paid for what he does and he can't play anymore college sports. He can accept oem exemptions and be paid to play gear.

TTing

Yes he could obviously play on the web.com tour, but he'll likely spend most of his time with sponsor exemptions at PGA tour events or try to Monday qualify.

Hate this move. He's simply not ready. I hope he doesn't fall flat on his face like Kelly Kraft has....

I think he should have stayed in school.

I wish he had stayed in school for selfish reasons as the UT team would have been scary good. Good luck to the Dallas kid! Pulling for him.

He definitely should have stayed in school. That little piece of paper could have given him an out if anything happens to him on the course.

He definitely should have stayed in school. That little piece of paper could have given him an out if anything happens to him on the course.

He's allowed to continue education, he's just cant play for their golf team.

I think he made the right call.

TTing

He went to my high school. He is a very smart kid and a nice kid as well. I wish him nothing but the best. He is extremely talented and has a good family backing him up

TapaTalk from the iPhone

I hate to see any college athlete leave during their freshman and sophomore yr to turn pro. There is a select few who are mentally ready for the transition to the lifestyle of being a pro athlete. I would say most do not go back to finish college when their career ends.

I wish him well but I have doubts that he will make it.

According to the PGA website he made 5 starts made the cut 3 times. His highest finish was tied for 21st at the US Open where he shot +7. His best score and only time he shot under par at an event was the JD Classic where he shot -6 which tied him for 58th.

He played one Web.com event where he shot +1 and tied for 44th.

To me making 60% of cuts is not good enough to turn pro, shooting -6,+4&+7 when making the cut and +5&+8 when missing it is good enough to give up a college education and college practice for.

So what would he have made in those events? Was it enough to pay a caddie, swing coach, travel expenses and living expenses. I understand he will sign endorsement deals but i doubt that they will be enough to live off of and pay for all his "PRO" golf expenses.

I do not know if he was on a full ride to college or not but I think if he was then he is making a big mistake by leaving early. If he is/was on a full ride he is getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-50K (tuition,room,food,coaching,practice facility and gym) a year to attend school and play golf.

Essentially, Jordan's a web.com player now. I'm sure he'll make 7-10 starts on the PGA TOUR, but his status for 2014 will likely be established by his starts on the 2013 web.com TOUR, where he should do well.

There's always the chance, however, that he may do something big in his limited appearances on the PGA TOUR. I wish him all the best.

He's allowed to continue education, he's just cant play for their golf team.

I think he made the right call.

TTing

Will he though? I doubt it.

I wouldn't put it past him. He's seems genuine and smart enough to make such decisions.

TTing

if help and on being a success on either tour he can't afford to try to get his degree. The learning curve is too steep and the fields to deep.

I fear done, never to be heard from again except for talk like "remember how good that kid could have been?"

I don't know what the rush is. He'll be a millionaire soon enough.

Bad decision all around in my opinion. Monetarily, he will make plenty. That plenty will still be there in two more years. No reason not to wait two more years and continue to develop skills, playing off sponsor's exemptions and stuff on tour. Get the degree. What if you end up flopping? Gotta have something to fall back on.

if help and on being a success on either tour he can't afford to try to get his degree. The learning curve is too steep and the fields to deep.

Agreed. The only precedent, I think, is Michelle Wie. Her talent, compared to the LPGA, was exponentially better than Spieth's is to the PGA Tour. I think everyone would agree that MW struggled.

I don't understand all the naysayers. The kids has been ranked the number one am in the world, he was low am at us open, he won a national championship in college, why would he not go pro? How will 15 hours of college classes help him with his goal of making a living as a professional? He's proven at every level that he can play with the best and now is the time to go for it. It's not like he's an untested 17 year old.

I wouldn't put it past him. He's seems genuine and smart enough to make such decisions.

TTing

I guess. I doubt he'll have time for it.

I don't understand all the naysayers. The kids has been ranked the number one am in the world, he was low am at us open, he won a national championship in college, why would he not go pro? How will 15 hours of college classes help him with his goal of making a living as a professional? He's proven at every level that he can play with the best and now is the time to go for it. It's not like he's an untested 17 year old.

The hrs of college classes may or may not help him playing as a professional. But the two more yrs of play will help his game evolve to its potential.

Being the low amateur at the Open still put him over par for the 4 rounds. He only made 3 of 5 cuts on the tour last yr.

His only under par round was in a web.com event where he tied for 58th.

I wouldn't say making 60% of cuts, not shooting under par in an event on the PGA Tour is being able to play with the big boys.

He is a good player, but I still don't believe he is good enough to make it on the big stage.

Zac winning in tour or as a pro is light years away from what he has done to this point. Top amateurs (Danny Lee, Nick Flanagan) don't always translate over into pro success. If he is as good as they say he is,them in two years he'll be that much better.

I'm with you actually. Why can't we all just say good luck to the kid and hope he makes it. Kid has a ton of talent and now he has nothing but time to perfect it. He is mature well beyond his years and has a great family backing him.

Hook 'em!

Don't understand how playing 2 more years of college golf will help him on the pro tours lol. I would say 2 years playing golf with the pros will help him a lot more. Thats 2 years of traveling, 2 years of playing the same courses as the pros, 2 years of getting your bearing, etc, etc, etc. College will always be there to go back to if he does fail miserably, or in worst case he doesn't make the cuts and just plays the web.com tour and hones his skills there while getting paid for endorsements, potential purses, etc. I would take the now and make the most of it. Never know what can happen while in college to him. In either case no one here really knows if he is leaving too early, if he isn't ready, etc. as I don't think anyone here has played at his level. You can only go off of what other college players who left early have done. Were they as good as this kid is? From the limited interviews I have seen him do and what I have read, he seems like a kid who has his head on straight and has a good family to support him in this. I hope he goes out and proves all the critics wrong and gets a win the 1st year and many more after that.

I'm with you actually. Why can't we all just say good luck to the kid and hope he makes it. Kid has a ton of talent and now he has nothing but time to perfect it. He is mature well beyond his years and has a great family backing him.

Hook 'em!

It wouldn't make for much for a forum now would it. If we all shared the same sentiment. Hook them horns :)

Vegan

As a college player over the next two years he would get countless invites to play in tour events. Learning the ways of the tour without the pressure of the tour. His skills would increase, he would get stronger, more mature and Savvy. Plus a degree in hand.

The tour isn't going any where so what's the rush. The same two years some day he could do the same thing. It's like trying to learn to swim in the middle of the ocean with no land in sight. The tour is made up of contractors that form small unions of sorts. Yes friendships are made but its not like a regular existence. I hope he does well as I do all the other rookies on tour but sadly there are that many spots available for greatness.

Back