The Jordan Spieth Thread

The future of US golf, I wonder how long until we see him on the Ryder Cup or Presidents squad.

The future of US golf, I wonder how long until we see him on the Ryder Cup or Presidents squad.

I was wondering if he gets retroactive Presidents Cup or Ryder Cup points for his work this year. He's got to be in the Ryder Cup mix if so, I'd think.

Rope hooked with my HTC One

Really like to watch this kid play. Hope he continues to improve.

First win for Titleist 714 series I believe. Looks like all he needs to do is knock out the TM 3wood and he will be a full bag of Titleist. I bet it happens real soon. Pro V1x ball, Cameron putter, Vokey wedges all in play this weekend.

I'm sure Lerner has already done it, but if not, let me slip into my creepy Lerner voice (you know, the one that asked, "Tad, what does leading this tournament mean to you knowing your dad is in prison?") and ask the question: "Brandel, Frank, are we seeing the birth of the new Tiger?"

:angel:

Really love this kid's attitude towards the game :clapp:

It has been a while since I saw a player make so many 20+ feet putts.

I like this kid. I think he made a wrong decision, but I still like him.

Obviously his top tens, and win at John Deere got his ticket punched for him and he'll be challenging the big boys for awhile. I still think he was wrong to drop out of school, but sometimes, money speaks volumes. He took the gamble and he won.

Even so.... I don't think the real Jordan Spieth has all-together surfaced yet. I think he has a fiery temper, which we saw hints of at the President's Cup, and which we will see much more of. He plays some good and exciting golf. I just hope he doesn't get in his own way.

I don't know how you could think it was the wrong decision at this point. Was it risky at the time? Sure, but he made just shy of 4 million and was 10th on the money list for last season. Even if he falls off the face of the earth, and is never heard from again, I'd say it was the right move.

I agree with Parshooter 36. The safe decision may not always be the right one. Spieth went for it and it worked

I agree with Parshooter 36. The safe decision may not always be the right one. Spieth went for it and it worked

I don't know how you could think it was the wrong decision at this point. Was it risky at the time? Sure, but he made just shy of 4 million and was 10th on the money list for last season. Even if he falls off the face of the earth, and is never heard from again, I'd say it was the right move.

You're both correct if the measurement is $$$$$$, which it always seems to be. I just think there is more to life than money. He could have finished college and still been successful as a pro golfer. It would just be 2 years later.

You're both correct if the measurement is $$$$$$, which it always seems to be. I just think there is more to life than money. He could have finished college and still been successful as a pro golfer. It would just be 2 years later.

While I tend to agree with you that there's more to life than money, we are talking life changing money here. He made more in 6 months than I will make in my entire life. With the money these guys can make, I don't fault anybody in any sport for leaving school to turn pro. While golf is not as prone to injury as other sports, you never know. He could start developing back or knee issues over the next 2 years, and never be the same player he once was. Not only that, golf is a streaky game, maybe he just timed it right and struck while the iron is hot. Look at how many highly touted amateurs turn pro and have very slow starts.

Or he could go back to college later if he wants. I went to high school with the kid, I know the family. They are very bright people and Jordan is a great kid. If he wants to finish college after he is done making all this $$ and winning tournaments than more power to him

Well... bottom line is, right or wrong in the eyes of all of we observers, it was right for him and his timing couldn't have been better, in terms of his game. He deserves every good thing that happens to him, and I for one will be watching and enjoying his play.

Jordan Spieth Turns Pro

Jordan Spieth Turns Pro

Yes a college degree is important for most. For a professional golfer, it's useless. Jordan will travel the world, experience cultures first hand. He will gain nothing with that degree.

I agree that in other sports where there is a lot more emphasis on athletic ability, the sports person has a shelf life. In most cases we could argue that 35 would be the end of your career then you would have to move into coaching, TV etc
In that circumstance you would want to prepare for your life after sports and possibly complete college etc

However golf is different because if you are playing to a certain standard then you can play against the big boys, earn a lot of money and do it for many years. Seniors cut off age 50? Then you have the Champions tour etc so your earning potential never really diminishes in that sport as long as you can still hit the ball well.

The Jordan Spieth Thread

I didn't see one here and I figured since he's the next superstar of Golf, he deserved a thread.

Expecting big things from this kid in 2014. I'm not particularly a fan of his. I respect his game and his talent, but his out bursts and random rants really put me off. Reminds me alot of Bubba sadly. I'm sure the kid is awesome off the course, but I could do without the talking and kicking himself on it. I feel like he gets in his own way a bit when he doesn't like a shot, but that's just me.

Hoping for 3 wins and to become the face of the next generation of American golfers.

I'm a fan.

I like him. He's still young, hopefully that has to do with the little rants you're talking about.

I like him. he's cool.

I'm hoping the money and fame don't go to his head and he stays hungry.

I don't think his mini rants and "air swings" are beyond reasonable personally. He has a small outburst and then regains his composure pretty quickly. Maybe I'm just easier on him because he's young? All I know is that it doesn't really bother me.

I think my issue is that people take such offense to when Bubba has his mini-rants and yells at his caddie. However, when Jordan does it, it's okay because he's young. I don't really care who you are, if you yell at your caddie about the yardage or smack an iron against your head repeatedly after you hit a ball in the water, you look like a fool.

Back