The Official 2013 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was hilarious. Every impersonation is dead on.

Caliendo is great. Always laugh at his stuff.

More power to him. It matters as much as his favorite color.

More power to him. It matters as much as his favorite color.

Only if his favorite color isn't green and/or yellow, hahaha.

Can he play? Then who cares? Besides the other guys in the locker room.

Mizzou's Michael Sam announces he is gay, I don't think it will impact anything in the NFL draft, nor should it. http://markbradley.blog.ajc.com/2014/02/09/mizzous-sam-says-hes-gay-will-the-nfl-care/

I honestly feel bad for him. I have a feeling that from now on he is only going to be known as the first openly gay NFL player. I could be wrong, and I really hope I am, but I think this will always overshadow any football accomplishments he may have in the NFL.

As I said, I really hope I'm wrong and he can be evaluated solely based on his football skills.

Can he play? Then who cares? Besides the other guys in the locker room.

He was the SEC Defensive Player of the Year. That tells me he can play (on a collegiate level). Guys in a professional locker room should only care about one thing, can this guy help the team win.

I honestly feel bad for him. I have a feeling that from now on he is only going to be known as the first openly gay NFL player. I could be wrong, and I really hope I am, but I think this will always overshadow any football accomplishments he may have in the NFL.

I think that if he is a great player, he will be remembered for that as well as being the first openly gay NFL player. I don't think his coming out will overshadow his career in the long run, again, if the kid has next level talent. However, being remembered as the first openly gay player is not necessarily a negative thing. Take Jackie Robinson for example: the guy was a phenomenal baseball talent, but he is remembered more for breaking a social barrier. It will be a rough first few years for him though, so I hope that he can make it through that with his head held high.

I think that if he is a great player, he will be remembered for that as well as being the first openly gay NFL player. I don't think his coming out will overshadow his career in the long run, again, if the kid has next level talent. However, being remembered as the first openly gay player is not necessarily a negative thing. Take Jackie Robinson for example: the guy was a phenomenal baseball talent, but he is remembered more for breaking a social barrier. It will be a rough first few years for him though, so I hope that he can make it through that with his head held high.

I'm not saying it's a negative thing to be remembered for. I'm just saying that I think every story in the media about this kid, throughout his career, will most likely mention the fact that he's the first openly gay player. There is nothing wrong with that, I just think that most athletes want stories about them, to be about their performance on the field, and not to link that to whether he's gay or straight.

Just my opinion though.

Interesting move by Cleveland at this time.

Interesting move by Cleveland at this time.

Not surprised, just keep scrapping and starting from scratch every 2 years seems to be the norm here.

and what in the world does this garbage mean?

"I felt like the previous setup was cumbersome, and this new arrangement is much more streamlined and in line for what we want," Haslam said at the 11:30 a.m. press conference.

"I think this will work well. . . . We just took a step back. It was a normal time to do it with Pettine coming in. If we're going to whiteboard this, we felt this was the best way to set things up.

". . . For us to be successful, what does the (organizational) chart need to look like? Those are not easy decisions, but we feel Ray gives us a great chance to be successful in in free agency and the draft."

Saw this online and thought it was accurate.
utytyhum.jpg

Mizzou's Michael Sam announces he is gay, I don't think it will impact anything in the NFL draft, nor should it. http://markbradley.blog.ajc.com/2014/02/09/mizzous-sam-says-hes-gay-will-the-nfl-care/

As I said, I really hope I'm wrong and he can be evaluated solely based on his football skills.

I think it could definitely affect his draft position. For someone who was projected to be a round three to five pick, it's going to be a media circus for whoever drafts him. Will teams want to deal with it for a middle of the pack draft choice? I think he will need to wow them at the combine to maintain the position expected of him before the announcement.

I don't think his announcement should affect anything, but it might and probably will.

Not surprised, just keep scrapping and starting from scratch every 2 years seems to be the norm here.

i dont really think its big change. farmer will handle football decisions and shiner will handle non football. both have been with the browns over a year.

Please just keep some constancy. In the same time Belichick has been with New England the Browns have had 8 coaches and 6 gm's. Not a way to build success in my book.

Please just keep some constancy. In the same time Belichick has been with New England the Browns have had 8 coaches and 6 gm's. Not a way to build success in my book.

They've also had Brady. Elite QBs breed consistency elsewhere on the team. Is it the coach or the QB? Name me a great coach who became a great coach without a great QB. That includes Belichick.

I just read quotes from Cleveland Browns fans when Belichick was the head coach.
Makes that Trent Richardson (the greatest RB ever) stuff make a whole lot more sense. :D

They've also had Brady. Elite QBs breed consistency elsewhere on the team. Is it the coach or the QB? Name me a great coach who became a great coach without a great QB. That includes Belichick.

Tell that to Cowboys fans proclaiming the greatness of Tony Romo.
And to answer your question, Mike Ditka.

Edit: The list is longer than you might think depending on what you consider a great coach.

and "Gruden"

Edit: The list is longer than you might think depending on what you consider a great coach.

Marty Schottenheimer. He had Montana at the end of Joe's career, but he had a ton of QB's who were OK, but not great.

He won zero Super Bowls but won 200 games as a head coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back