The Official Banter Away Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I like that idea. Allowing me to be in the shadows. Same as with THP, I work better behind the scenes.
Just leave the brass knuckles at home :D

The Official Banter Away Thread

Basically what I am saying is I am an over-the-top emotional woman, there I said it!

There's more than one kind? :confused2:

On a more serious note if the food drive org doesn't work out I hope the ACS position does. But I'm a bit biased there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morgan: my opinion would be to do something that you will truly enjoy and look forward to going back as often as possible. With what I know about you, I would recommend a no kill animal shelter. At least you know they won't meet that end and it will also satisfy you personally tremendously. You will make bonds with some and get to see them go to furever homes. There is also a path of advancement so to speak where you can be as little or as much involved as you want to. And you would be a tremendous asset to them.

Heck, I even enjoyed doing laundry and dishes before I could start working directly with the pups!!

if you want to work with dogs but don't think you want to work with shelter dogs you could go down to Southeastern Guide Dogs to work with the puppies and the guide dogs in training.

I had never heard of them before. I looked it up and found out you can pay $10 and literally roll around with puppies for 30 minutes. Check out this video https://www.guidedogs.org/activities/hug-a-puppy/

I had never heard of them before. I looked it up and found out you can pay $10 and literally roll around with puppies for 30 minutes. Check out this video https://www.guidedogs.org/activities/hug-a-puppy/

Yep my wife and I have been planning on heading down to do that, and still haven't.

I had a customer that volunteered twice a month down there, and she absolutely LOVED it.

Morgan, here's another idea for you and Arrow. At both of my kids universities they have "puppy therapy days" usually in the week right before finals. Arranged through the student center animals are brought out for the college kids to pet and love on. Huge stress reliever. My daughter loves it.

I have thought for a while now that I want to do some volunteer work. I just don't know where to focus. If you know me at all you know my heart belongs to animals, but I honestly don't think I am emotionally strong enough to volunteer at an animal shelter. I am pretty sure I would either cry the entire time as my heart breaks for those lonely animals, or we would end up with 10 dogs and maybe even some cats.

My second thought was to volunteer with Veterans or at hospitals, but I also worry I am not emotionally stable enough to handle that. I looked at Shriner's Hospital near by and local hospice centers, but I seriously think I would just cry the entire time.

I just sent in an application with the American Cancer Society because they have clerical spots available, and event planning positions where I won't necessarily have to interact with sick people. I would love to actually work with the patients, but like I have been saying, I am genuinely not sure I am emotionally stable enough to handle that.

Any other suggestions of places I can look for volunteer work?

you are going to be a good asset to whatever org you volunteer at. Some good suggestions have been made and I like the food places or some sort of assigned living facility. The elderly enjoy having conversations and playing games, it keeps their minds active

I have thought for a while now that I want to do some volunteer work. I just don't know where to focus. If you know me at all you know my heart belongs to animals, but I honestly don't think I am emotionally strong enough to volunteer at an animal shelter. I am pretty sure I would either cry the entire time as my heart breaks for those lonely animals, or we would end up with 10 dogs and maybe even some cats.

My second thought was to volunteer with Veterans or at hospitals, but I also worry I am not emotionally stable enough to handle that. I looked at Shriner's Hospital near by and local hospice centers, but I seriously think I would just cry the entire time.

I just sent in an application with the American Cancer Society because they have clerical spots available, and event planning positions where I won't necessarily have to interact with sick people. I would love to actually work with the patients, but like I have been saying, I am genuinely not sure I am emotionally stable enough to handle that.

Lots of good suggestions already Morgan. But I'll throw another one out there.

USO at the the Airports greeting and assisting troops that are travelling through. I believe the time commitment is very flexible and it's a position that I know is greatly appreciated by the troops.

Lots of good suggestions already Morgan. But I'll throw another one out there.

USO at the the Airports greeting and assisting troops that are travelling through. I believe the time commitment is very flexible and it's a position that I know is greatly appreciated by the troops.

That is a very good one. USO is a solid organization, and I know I've always appreciated the services they've offered since I've been in the Navy.

Thank you all so much for the incredible recommendations! I have been researching all day. I have reached out to a few places based on your suggestions, and also included our local First Tee. I am excited to find the right match and finally give back to the community.

I had to double check to make sure I wasn't the one who posted this--as I've had many of the same thoughts recently. More and more I just get the feeling that I could/should be helping someone somewhere​.

After a stressful day, I needed a good laugh.

Holy hell did I get one.

Thank you all so much for the incredible recommendations! I have been researching all day. I have reached out to a few places based on your suggestions, and also included our local First Tee. I am excited to find the right match and finally give back to the community.

First tee is an awesome thought. I'm really impressed with what I've seen of the organization. You might also check out girlsgolf.org. Not sure how much of a presence they've got in FL, but it seems to be a pretty sold org as well.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

So I am just now reading this and all of the responses. I can seriously identify with you GG. We are home to St Jude Children's Research Hospital. vickie has a study there and we have talked several times about getting involved on a personal level. I JUST CANNOT DO IT! Heck, I cry at the commercials. There have been some great suggestions. Is there a Meals on Wheels type program in your area? I used to do this in Highschool. Basically, it involves working with a charitable organization to deliver meals to indigent and elderly. As a young man, it was so very rewarding to be able to help some elderly and let them help me. It is so nice and rewarding to give people dignity and something to eat.

Whoever you help will be so much better off. Please keep everyone posted on what you decide on and how it develops.

JM

Morgan, here's another idea for you and Arrow. At both of my kids universities they have "puppy therapy days" usually in the week right before finals. Arranged through the student center animals are brought out for the college kids to pet and love on. Huge stress reliever. My daughter loves it.

Oh, this is a good one too! My daughter helps with this at UT!

JM

Acid reflux can kiss my tail

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I know all too well. GERD can be some nasty sh!t and I hate it.
It is wearing me out. Going to GI doctor next week

It is wearing me out. Going to GI doctor next week

Absolutely do that!!! You seriously seriously dont want any damage TRUST ME! I waited too long and did some damage, now 6 years later im still dealing with it. Its not fun dude, wishing the best for you. Hopefully itll just be getting on the right meds and a diet change will be all you need. I honestly know mine could improve more but avoiding trigger foods can be a b!tch especially if everything seems to trigger haha.

Absolutely do that!!! You seriously seriously dont want any damage TRUST ME! I waited too long and did some damage, now 6 years later im still dealing with it. Its not fun dude, wishing the best for you. Hopefully itll just be getting on the right meds and a diet change will be all you need. I honestly know mine could improve more but avoiding trigger foods can be a b!tch especially if everything seems to trigger haha.
Thank you I hate going to doctor bit I can't handle this. It's off and on which in some ways makes it worse

Back in NYC
34fd3cd425d70b0039b4a962871ffda3.jpg

Traveling man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back