The Official Patrick Reed Thread

First hand experiences are always valuable when forming an opinion. At the 08 Ryder Cup Mickelson was the star of the team and did this throughout each day of the practice rounds. Sergio and Poulter were the exact opposite. Signed from green to tee and stopped for pics. It's why I dont hate on Poulter because that week, he was amazing with the fans esp kids.

I agree, first hand experiences really are valuable. Especially because how one person perceives a behavior may be completely different than another person. I may see someone snub a kid and think he's a jerk, another person might see it and say, "he's just in the zone." It's all perception, and trying to figure out a person without knowing them personally seems kind of silly.

You saw Poulter be great to kids, I have experienced the complete opposite, on more than one occasion. So who is the real Poulter? Neither of us know, because we aren't his friend or family member, only those close to the person really know them. We only know the person we saw/met and how they acted at that time.

Poulter does amazing charity work. Anyone who hates on him doesn't really bother to know much about him other then his perceived "arrogance"

I have met him. Talked to him. Been treated as an annoyance by him for doing what he was being paid to be there and partake in.

I don't give a **** about his charities. Bubba has them too, but it still a twerp to me.

Poulter does amazing charity work. Anyone who hates on him doesn't really bother to know much about him other then his perceived "arrogance"

I agree, first hand experiences really are valuable. Especially because how one person perceives a behavior may be completely different than another person. I may see someone snub a kid and think he's a jerk, another person might see it and say, "he's just in the zone." It's all perception, and trying to figure out a person without knowing them personally seems kind of silly.

You saw Poulter be great to kids, I have experienced the complete opposite, on more than one occasion. So who is the real Poulter? Neither of us know, because we aren't his friend or family member, only those close to the person really know them. We only know the person we saw/met and how they acted at that time.

I have met him. Talked to him. Been treated as an annoyance by him for doing what he was being paid to be there and partake in.

I don't give a **** about his charities. Bubba has them too, but it still a twerp to me.

These comments prove my point. Everyone perceives things differently. Someone strong in charity might be held in high regard to someone, while someone who had a negative experience with that person doesn't care about the charity because of their experience with that person. Neither person is right or wrong, it's how they feel.

These comments prove my point. Everyone perceives things differently. Someone strong in charity might be held in high regard to someone, while someone who had a negative experience with that person doesn't care about the charity because of their experience with that person. Neither person is right or wrong, it's how they feel.

Amen. We are all different.

He's still a twerp though. And his doofy handler too.

I had just read an ESPN article on him and his family and I'm beginning to believe that Reed is 100% being manipulated by his wife and her family. I've seen those situations first hand enough times to know what that looks like and it fit the profile to a T. I feel bad for him actually. Only terrible people would willingly tear a family apart for their own benefit.

I had the same impression, but we don't know the whole story.

I had just read an ESPN article on him and his family and I'm beginning to believe that Reed is 100% being manipulated by his wife and her family. I've seen those situations first hand enough times to know what that looks like and it fit the profile to a T. I feel bad for him actually. Only terrible people would willingly tear a family apart for their own benefit.

See, and here we go again. We hear this story and instantly think they are bad people WITHOUT knowing the whole story. But that's the problem, we don't know so I don't think its right to go "oh man I don't like that guy he shunned his family because I read an article on it" So the guy that wrote the article has been with the Reed family from start to finish and this is gospel?

Its so easy to judge someone. This is why I don't watch the news or keep up with the news because they fill the American people with BULLSH*T so they instantly get the case of the red ass for someone.

Amen. We are all different.

He's still a twerp though. And his doofy handler too.

Yep, something sure seems amiss at the top of the elevator. Simply put, he lacks awareness, and seems a prick for it.

See, and here we go again. We hear this story and instantly think they are bad people WITHOUT knowing the whole story. But that's the problem, we don't know so I don't think its right to go "oh man I don't like that guy he shunned his family because I read an article on it" So the guy that wrote the article has been with the Reed family from start to finish and this is gospel?

Its so easy to judge someone. This is why I don't watch the news or keep up with the news because they fill the American people with BULLSH*T so they instantly get the case of the red ass for someone.
Huh? I'm basing my observation on my own personal experience with regard to what was presented in the article. Reed may still be a jacka$$, but that doesn't mean his wife and her family aren't either. There are a lot of selfish, manipulative people in the world, and they may be that. It also could be religion based. Don't know. I just have an issue with anyone who would keep family away from family.

Huh? I'm basing my observation on my own personal experience with regard to what was presented in the article. Reed may still be a jacka$$, but that doesn't mean his wife and her family aren't either. There are a lot of selfish, manipulative people in the world, and they may be that. It also could be religion based. Don't know. I just have an issue with anyone who would keep family away from family.

Same here. Unless there was some sort of heinous abuse that Reeds parents inflicted on him that we are unaware of, not allowing grandparents to meet their grandchild and not inviting to them their son's wedding is just flat out cruel and vindictive.

That's my point. Instantly there is a negative thought towards them without knowing the issue. I know what you mean about family but everyones families are different.

Well, I wanted to add to the discussion but this got a little out of hand.
I wanted to add a first hand experience to the discussion after his Masters win as I thought it was relevant. You can take the experience that I shared and make your own opinion of it. Any parent can recognize a noticeable change in their children's mood/attitude when something happens to them. Knowing my daughter...it was enough for me to form an opinion on this person...it is my opinion, no one else's. You are free to have yours and I'll respect it. To be fair it was just one interaction but most of the time that is all it takes. An amazing golfer for sure and I quite like his game and am a fan but would not want to have a beer with him. I have the same characterization of Tiger, amazing golfer needs some work as a person (IMHO).

There are alot of really crappy people who do some good work with charities. It's definitely a credit to them, but doesn't mean they aren't still a prick. That being said, I find Poults annoying at times and don't cheer for him, but don't necessarily hate him.

I'm not disagreeing with much of what you are saying and in fact I think we agree on a lot of things here. By the way do you know Ranger(whatever) personally? I'm sorry if I offended any of you I was just saying human's perceptions of interactions can vary tremendously.

Have a great day.
@Northerner (Whatever), not sure why you take issue with my personal experience but that is okay. My forum name, however, has personal significance in my life and I do not appreciate you making it seem insignificant in your post. Not sure anyone on this site really knows me or ever will but to assume that I am some habitual liar that tells inaccurate "stories" is a far fetch. I grew up learning that you give people the benefit of the doubt until they prove you otherwise. Not sure that I have given anyone hear any doubt about my character/truthfulness. If you had a different experience with Reed please share it so others on this site may form a opinion based off both interactions. After all this is what a forum is supposed to do...share information and experiences so that others can form their own thoughts and opinions. Not to be bashed or discounted because their opinions differ from others.

It is interactions like this that get people to stop sharing information and experiences on forums because they fear their opinions and experiences will be marginalized.

You have a wonderful day.

@Northerner (Whatever), not sure why you take issue with my personal experience but that is okay. My forum name, however, has personal significance in my life and I do not appreciate you making it seem insignificant in your post. Not sure anyone on this site really knows me or ever will but to assume that I am some habitual liar that tells inaccurate "stories" is a far fetch. I grew up learning that you give people the benefit of the doubt until they prove you otherwise. Not sure that I have given anyone hear any doubt about my character/truthfulness. If you had a different experience with Reed please share it so others on this site may form a opinion based off both interactions. After all this is what a forum is supposed to do...share information and experiences so that others can form their own thoughts and opinions. Not to be bashed or discounted because their opinions differ from others.

It is interactions like this that get people to stop sharing information and experiences on forums because they fear their opinions and experiences will be marginalized.

Don't ever stop sharing with us, ranger, and thank you for your service!!!

Ignore doesn't work if you all keep quoting him...

You guys know he's from Texas right? Can't be that bad of a guy..............

I think it's a known quantity that Reed feeds off the perceived slights and coverage of him as a bad guy, and that it's only magnified when he's successful on tour. Whether I think it's healthy to spend your time comparing how you're perceived relative to your peers isn't relevant to the conversation aside from how he's viewed by the wider world, Reed simply does, and it shows up in the things he says and does. It was only a few weeks ago he outright said he didn't get a favorable judges ruling because he's not Jordan Spieth. Whether he was joking or not, his thoughts went to not getting the ruling he wanted, comparing himself to the golden boy of golf, and then letting that comparison come out of his mouth.

The press loves this, because it's a negative feedback loop. Alan Shipnuck gets to dump 1000 words into the process of asking Reed a prickly question in a public setting, linking to all the old stories of Reed's controversies, getting a bunch of clicks, and Reed gets more grist for his personal mill. People get to reinforce their opinions of Reed, which reinforces his opinion that he's disliked, which makes him more likely to add that extra edge to his voice and disposition, reinforces people thinking he's a cad, and it just goes on and on from there.

I figure we can all reinforce all that stuff, too, or we can try and present a more rounded opinion of him, his family, and the game of golf in general. I can't say we're going to convince Reed that the world of golf isn't out to get him, but right now that him and his family doesn't get along doesn't mean a thing to me. On the other hand, I have a 10 year old and an 8 year old, so I'm a fan of anyone building up junior golf.

Isn't this what I was saying a page or so back?

Honestly it wasn't anything against you. I didn't articulate what I was trying to say very well.

Enjoy the rest of your week.

Last edited:
As golf followers and fans, shouldn't we judge ALL golfers for their golf accomplishments as well as their failures? I feel all the personal stuff is not my, or our, business. The media are the ones looking into personal matters for their business and I wish they'd stop with the personal matters.

Why is he so hated. Tiger acted kinda the same way not so much in your face but thats what I like about Patrick. When he is on he feels that no one can beat him and thats why he was so good in the Ryder Cup and why he is the 2018 Masters Champion

You guys know he's from Texas right? Can't be that bad of a guy..............

I have lived in Texas my entire life and there are plenty of a-holes to go around.

Why is he so hated. Tiger acted kinda the same way not so much in your face but thats what I like about Patrick. When he is on he feels that no one can beat him and thats why he was so good in the Ryder Cup and why he is the 2018 Masters Champion

I kinda wonder if he is trying to emulate Tiger on some level with the way he acts. The problem with that is he is not Tiger and never will be.

Like him or hate him, feels great with Reed with that flag book playing in contention in the us open!

Back