The Official Tiger Woods Thread

Why do I always get a sneaking sensation that I'm reading the same statements over and over and over... and over again when I read this thread?

Tapping till 12-21-2012

I sure do agree with you. It'll be interesting to see what happens if he's forced to hit driver.

Tiger was hitting 200+ 6i last weekend. He has the length and skill no to play driver and still compete especially if it's wet. Those greens will be very receptive I don't think he'll be a factor but I don't think he need air hit driver to be successful either.

If I recall correctly, wasn't Tigger hitting driver pretty well at Firestone? If he drives it well again this week he'll be in good shape.

If I recall correctly, wasn't Tigger hitting driver pretty well at Firestone? If he drives it well again this week he'll be in good shape.

Not if he hits every approach to 25'

Yeah but his iron game is one of his strengths, no? I figure if he hits fairways, he'll make a bunch of birdies.

Yeah but his iron game is one of his strengths, no? I figure if he hits fairways, he'll make a bunch of birdies.

He hasn't hit short irons or wedges consistently close in a while. IMO he has the best chance to win if E is a good score. If it's a birdie fest, don't think he'll keep up because he's just not making a bunch of birdies due to not being aggressive at all - with anything.

He hasn't hit short irons or wedges consistently close in a while. IMO he has the best chance to win if E is a good score. If it's a birdie fest, don't think he'll keep up because he's just not making a bunch of birdies due to not being aggressive at all - with anything.

I don't think the score will be near E, but I don't think it will be a birdie fest either. It's going to be a tough week at a hard course. I've said I think he'll bomb, but I could see him making a run at it too and possibly winning.

Tiger has a good chance at any tourny he enters. He just has to put some good rounds together.

Tiger has a good chance at any tourny he enters. He just has to put some good rounds together.

Couldn't you say that about any golfer?

I agree. The pundits continue to hammer away with the driver storyline, and while tiger isn't hitting the driver consistantly well, and how he hits the driver is important, I think how tiger does with his wedge control is more important. The thing is that has been his real achilles heel his entire career. Watching the championship sunday replays that the golf channel shows on tuesdays (which are awesome) it seems over the years tiger's most consistant miss is being inconsistant with his wedge distances.

Why do I always get a sneaking sensation that I'm reading the same statements over and over and over... and over again when I read this thread?

Tapping till 12-21-2012

Because you are. From both sides.

Couldn't you say that about any golfer?
Lol. That is a very "John Madden-esque" comment.

The key to Tiger's success is that when he plays well he usually doesn't have a lot of strokes, and the guy with the fewest strokes at the end of the tournament usually wins

Just Believe in my process! Ohmmmmmm

maar01_sean_foley_my_shot.jpg

Google lol! This guy needs to be fired now!

looks photoshopped. maybe because it seems to good to be true.

Seems like there are still genuine issues with foley's technique's in the shots that tiger wants to hit and can't. I don't know enough about the swing, shot shaping and foley's teachings to have any idea if the flaws are an issue with what foley teaches or if it's something with tiger.

Either way he's stuck with this. It's easy to say fire foley, go back to harmon or haney; but if we agree that the learning curve for tiger on swings seems to be 2 years, if he abandons foley now he'll be 38 before he gets his groove back again. He'll essentially have lost most of his 30's for winning majors and history indicates that'll be it for him. He's just going to have to figure out how to win majors with the foley.

He's got big issues with the double crossing in a left-to-right wind which was discussed on tv all week, he's got wedge distance issues (which he has had his entire career) and his short game isn't up to tiger standards. I thought he putted reasonably well this week sans the putt on 3 in the third round and the putt on 12 in the 4th round. He played the par 5's better today until the back 9 which is something he hasn't been doing and is a big key to his past success.

I know tiger playing well isn't known for going super, super low but rather just stringing together consistantly good round but when is the last time he put together like what rory did? a couple of 5 under rounds and a 6 under round, or even just a couple of 5 under rounds in a major? Is the last time he shot 5 under in a major the first round of the 09 pga at hazeltine?

It's not surprising that he'd slow down as he got older, it's not human what he was doing in the early 00's, but the stark contrast between him then and him now is a little shocking. Maybe it shouldn't be.

I don't think Foley is bad for Tigger. He's won 3 times on Tour this year. Which is more than anyone else. Plus a few good majors. He'll get a major sooner or later. He's playing too well not to. Unless he's turned into some sort of Lee Westwood/Luke Donald hybrid. He'd win on Tour like every non-major and never win a major.

I don't think Foley is bad for Tigger. He's won 3 times on Tour this year. Which is more than anyone else. Plus a few good majors. He'll get a major sooner or later. He's playing too well not to. Unless he's turned into some sort of Lee Westwood/Luke Donald hybrid. He'd win on Tour like every non-major and never win a major.

I will say this, even though it's gotten better at times, it seems like tiger's body language is the worst of his career. When he was winning he'd get pissed but he seemed to always shake it off quickly and hit a great shot or at least hit the shot that had to be hit with his next shot. Now, frequently not so much, the negative vibes seem to linger. He always seems exasperated on the course during and after the round, that's the word that comes to mind frequently when I see him.

I will say this, even though it's gotten better at times, it seems like tiger's body language is the worst of his career. When he was winning he'd get pissed but he seemed to always shake it off quickly and hit a great shot or at least hit the shot that had to be hit with his next shot. Now, frequently not so much, the negative vibes seem to linger. He always seems exasperated on the course during and after the round, that's the word that comes to mind frequently when I see him.

Yeah I'd agree with that. I'm not sure that has to do with Foley though. But yeah he just sort of shuts down out there. It's odd. I said it in the PGA thread earlier, when he can't win anymore he seems to stop caring and lose focus. I guess he doesn't care about anything other than winning.

Yeah I'd agree with that. I'm not sure that has to do with Foley though. But yeah he just sort of shuts down out there. It's odd. I said it in the PGA thread earlier, when he can't win anymore he seems to stop caring and lose focus. I guess he doesn't care about anything other than winning.
If your not first your last..

Yeah I wouldn't necessarily blame the body language on foley, I'm not even going to speculate where that comes from. I have some arm-chair psychologist ideas but unless you're in tiger's head or have a close relationship with him where you know how he ticks I can't even begin to speculate.

As I said the word that always comes to mind is exasperated. As though he's tense and more frustrated than focused. As though he doesn't trust himself enough to be able to relax and get comfortable with his ability. I know he blamed his front 9 on saturday on being to "relaxed" and someone said in the pga thread that what he means by relaxed is not necessarily the way we interpret it, which is valid; however he looked anything but relaxed on saturday. He missed the putt on 3, then each swing and each reaction got progressively worse.

If TW did leave Foley where could he land? Also can he afford to leave SF at this time. He's lost three years can he afford another rebuild or another direction in the swing?

Tiger played okay today. Not great, but not that badly either on a day where a lot of guys on top went backwards. He noted that in his presser, he seemed sort of content with how he played today. He would have had to play lights out on the weekend to win (-9 over the 2 days), so I don't really see that as giving it up. Rory really took that tourney.

I see no problem going forward as he is. He's playing good golf for the most part. I think he'll get another win on Tour this year and possibly win POY. I say watch out for him next season. He could do a lot of winning. Hell, even in the Fed Ex Cup this year he's set to succeed. He's leading in points as it is.

Tiger played okay today. Not great, but not that badly either on a day where a lot of guys on top went backwards. He noted that in his presser, he seemed sort of content with how he played today. He would have had to play lights out on the weekend to win (-9 over the 2 days), so I don't really see that as giving it up. Rory really took that tourney.

I see no problem going forward as he is. He's playing good golf for the most part. I think he'll get another win on Tour this year and possibly win POY. I say watch out for him next season. He could do a lot of winning. Hell, even in the Fed Ex Cup this year he's set to succeed. He's leading in points as it is.

Good players can piece together descent rounds even when they are a bit off. But those Ronda don't win majors! TW has to get rid of one of his misses and work on his short game. Once that is achieved he'll seriously threaten in some majors but as long as he does know where his misses are going, he will struggle.

Back