The Official Tiger Woods Thread

Good players can piece together descent rounds even when they are a bit off. But those Ronda don't win majors! TW has to get rid of one of his misses and work on his short game. Once that is achieved he'll seriously threaten in some majors but as long as he does know where his misses are going, he will struggle.

I guess. I see it a bit differently though. Tigger's been there in 3 of the 4 majors this year with an opportunity to win going into the weekend. He just didn't get any this year. Webb won one and so did Bubba and so did Ernie, and I think all of those guys have spottier games than Tiger this year. He just didn't win. It happens. Unless you're the old Tiger (which he obviously isn't), you can't win them all. It's tough to win one. So long as he keeps putting himself in a position to have a chance, I think he will be in good shape and will get a win. We'll see next year though.

Tiger was really only a couple of holes away from winning the us open and the open, but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Not really a factor at the masters and it would have taken a miracle to beat rory this weekend.

Tiger needs to play the par 5's consistantly well. He used to go 3/4, 4/4 on the par 5's routinely and now he doesn't. When he won that's where he scored. He played the 16 par 5's this week at 3 under which is better than he's done lately but it's not good enough to win. Rory played the par 5's this week at 8 under

The Par 5s is a good point and you've brought it up a few times. With Tigger's long iron/fairway wood game, he could easily go 10/16 or something like that on the par 5s for a week. He just needs to put it in the FW more times than not off the tee and manage to make par or maybe even a lucky birdie here or there when he misses. Which he is more than capable of doing it seems.

Tiger is waay too athletic for the foly swing right now, as he ages in another 7 or 8 years this swing will work then, but not now. He still has too much body and clubhead speed for this. Butch said it best, go to the range and fix it and do it now, Tiger knows more about the swing than most instructors out there. I thought his short game was a lot better and was putting was pretty solid, his swing looks terrible. He's going to have to slow down for this swing to be effective, I like Tiger and I really want to see him do well and get back to Tiger golf, it's just my observation which really means nothing.

Last edited:
I guess. I see it a bit differently though. Tigger's been there in 3 of the 4 majors this year with an opportunity to win going into the weekend. He just didn't get any this year. Webb won one and so did Bubba and so did Ernie, and I think all of those guys have spottier games than Tiger this year. He just didn't win. It happens. Unless you're the old Tiger (which he obviously isn't), you can't win them all. It's tough to win one. So long as he keeps putting himself in a position to have a chance, I think he will be in good shape and will get a win. We'll see next year though.

I have to disagree with this 100%. Tiger played well on Thursday and Friday that put him in the mix for a win. Based on the last three years his game is as good ad bubbas and webbs. Ernie just out played everyone on Sunday. I said it yesterday, the comparisons to the old woods has to stop. Everyone says he'll never be as good and then turns around and compared him to his old self. The new TW can still amaze but now has a healthy dose of average running through his game.
His swing can't even handle mild pressure of Sunday. He plays a fade and can't control it in a left to right wind, huge flaw. If and when he gets this under control he'll contend again but not until that time.

i didn't understand how he was hitting that stinger on some holes, then pulls out driver on others when the stinger would be much more effective and would have less chance of getting him in greater trouble, although leaving him a longer second shot...which, as we saw, his distances aren't a problem...he hit a 180 yard 9 iron yesterday on a hole...

I have to disagree with this 100%. Tiger played well on Thursday and Friday that put him in the mix for a win. Based on the last three years his game is as good ad bubbas and webbs. Ernie just out played everyone on Sunday. I said it yesterday, the comparisons to the old woods has to stop. Everyone says he'll never be as good and then turns around and compared him to his old self. The new TW can still amaze but now has a healthy dose of average running through his game.
His swing can't even handle mild pressure of Sunday. He plays a fade and can't control it in a left to right wind, huge flaw. If and when he gets this under control he'll contend again but not until that time.

I agree Freddie. He isn't the same golfer. And won't be. I tell you what is unimpressive, his game from about 40 yards and in. He hit some really average shots around the green yesterday.

Oh, and when he had that birdie putt to perhaps get his momentum going, he missed it.

He just looks like he's grinding all the time to me. It's like he knows he going to miss putts. The whole missing 10 yards long on a 90 yard shot doesn't help either.

If Rory and Tiger were coming down the stretch, do you think Tiger would be afraid of Rory now? I think he would be because I think the confidence that he had in getting things done is completely gone. I wish he would go back to Butch and get a short game again. I like to see amazing golf.

If Rory and Tiger were coming down the stretch, do you think Tiger would be afraid of Rory now? I think he would be because I think the confidence that he had in getting things done is completely gone. I wish he would go back to Butch and get a short game again. I like to see amazing golf.

I don't think Tiger would be afraid of him, but I think Rory would absolutely relish in that situation. Rory has done to the field in his two Major wins what Tiger used to. It's kind of fun to watch. Tiger actually hit the ball quite well off the tee, it's just when he had to get up and down or he had to make a birdie to get the momentum going: he couldn't.

personally? no, i don't think so. tiger worries about tiger...(enough to worry about) once he puts blinders on, it's his game that he's focusing on.

I don't think Tiger would be afraid of him, but I think Rory would absolutely relish in that situation. Rory has done to the field in his two Major wins what Tiger used to. It's kind of fun to watch. Tiger actually hit the ball quite well off the tee, it's just when he had to get up and down or he had to make a birdie to get the momentum going: he couldn't.

So, Tiger is afraid of Tiger being new Tiger? He said something very interesting during his post round interview that really caught my attention. He said that he didn't take Thursday's round as seriously as he should have. To me, that sounds like someone was helping Tiger with his mental game. I wonder if he is seeking help with his weekend troubles.

personally? no, i don't think so. tiger worries about tiger...(enough to worry about) once he puts blinders on, it's his game that he's focusing on.

You make a good point.

I don't know Seth. I didn't see or hear that. All I know is that he wouldn't have won no matter what he did yesterday but he also didn't really play himself in a position to frighten anyone in front of him, which he used to do. He's playing golf swing out there dude.

I don't know Seth. I didn't see or hear that. All I know is that he wouldn't have won no matter what he did yesterday but he also didn't really play himself in a position to frighten anyone in front of him, which he used to do. He's playing golf swing out there dude.

I completely agree with him playing golf swing. That is a recipe for failure IMO.

I know a little about trying to get the mind in the right place and what Tiger said kinda sounds like what dad has told me when I tried to deal with the stress of playing baseball in high school and as well as when I had test anxiety in my classes. I don't know, it just seemed odd to me and it just screamed, "I am seeking help on how to deal with the weekend."

I know this may sound dumb, but maybe he just needs to be in those situations in Majors more? He had that stretch where he just was such a non factor. Maybe he's literally finding his Major Championship legs?

I know this may sound dumb, but maybe he just needs to be in those situations in Majors more? He had that stretch where he just was such a non factor. Maybe he's literally finding his Major Championship legs?

I don't think that's dumb at all. I remember them claiming he used to make guys crumble just from finding out they would play in with him on Sundays. Now he's just another guy out there with long irons and an erratic tee game AND short game. He's entirely human.

You could be right. It could be that he is having to learn how to be a person again. His whole world crashed with is SUV and it probably affected every aspect of his life. Maybe the pedestal that he put himself on shattered like the glass when Elin hit it.

TC - do you think it is more mental then? Because he had no problems on Thursday or Friday last week. Same can be said for Olympic and Royal St. Anne's. You see mright, once the weekend starts something misfires. He just can't get standup on the stage.

Maybe. Maybe he just doesn't fully trust what he's doing enough to just let all the concern and worry go. I really don't know. I just don't know how he played like he did on Friday, which was absolutely brutal, to turn around and do nothing.

Maybe. Maybe he just doesn't fully trust what he's doing enough to just let all the concern and worry go. I really don't know. I just don't know how he played like he did on Friday, which was absolutely brutal, to turn around and do nothing.

The crazy thing for me, at the Memorial, he came back on Sunday and won, at the Honda he came back from nowhere to take second. He battled on Sunday at Congressional this year. It seems like he can still play really good golf. But there is something about the weekends at majors that keeps messing with his melon.

The crazy thing for me, at the Memorial, he came back on Sunday and won, at the Honda he came back from nowhere to take second. He battled on Sunday at Congressional this year. It seems like he can still play really good golf. But there is something about the weekends at majors that keeps messing with his melon.

I reckon I'd agree with that assessment. It's bizarre. I thought after he shot what he did Friday that he would roll into the weekend.

TC, I was waiting for you to go ham on someone on facebook yesterday....you didnt

TC, I was waiting for you to go ham on someone on facebook yesterday....you didnt

Nope. It's not worth it anymore. He "unfriended" me anyway, so I can't see his updates, LOL

I'm just amazed at how scared of his driver Tiger is. He stays away from it with such fear that he leaves himself in tough spots with his shorter clubs.

Back