The Official Tiger Woods Thread

I'm not so sure I would call Jack & Tiger similar when it comes to being a family man. I saw Jack several times in Augusta when I lived there and he was always very kind to me. I hounded him for autographs and he always took the time to be cordial. He actually talked to me more than I expected during one practice round. That's what drew me to him along with some of the incredible golf I saw him play.

On the other hand, I had a good friend who took his son to watch Tiger play during one of the practice rounds at Augusta. His son handed him a little visor hoping for an autograph and Tiger tossed it to the ground and walked off. After hearing about this I never cared for the guy.

Small samples. Keep in mind that scrutiny on athletes now vs when Nicklaus played is a bit different. Good example of that is Mickey Mantle. He would be crucified today, but is a god due to time he played.

Nicklaus was/is a grump. Its not surprising depending on age, who likes him and who doesnt.

One thing I would say...Did you see Tiger throw a kids visor or is that from elsewhere? While there is no doubt he never embraced the fans, the thought of any athlete doing that and it not being MAJOR NEWS is crazy. Any athlete that would toss a kids visor and it not be reported is kind of crazy. Especially at Augusta and the sheer amount of media around him for every step of the way.

Yeah ask Muirhead about how great a guy Nicklaus was, snipping him from design credits at Muirfield Village and a whole lot of other courses.

I agree that revering Nicklaus is pretty much the same as revering Tiger in a lot of ways. It seems to be a generational thing a lot of times, but both have their moments.

Whether he is a good person or not, when Tiger is playing well it is good for golf. I for one would love to see Tiger, Rory, Jordan, Jason Day and a few others in top form and competing at once. Chances are it won't happen though

I never watched Jack play, but he has never come off as anything but a pompous jerk to me, especially when the subject if Tiger or any other young great player comes up. When I hear Arnie speak, he seems like a great guy, not so much Jack.

Up until this thread I thought I was alone in these thoughts

Small samples. Keep in mind that scrutiny on athletes now vs when Nicklaus played is a bit different. Good example of that is Mickey Mantle. He would be crucified today, but is a god due to time he played.

Nicklaus was/is a grump. Its not surprising depending on age, who likes him and who doesnt.

One thing I would say...Did you see Tiger throw a kids visor or is that from elsewhere? While there is no doubt he never embraced the fans, the thought of any athlete doing that and it not being MAJOR NEWS is crazy. Any athlete that would toss a kids visor and it not be reported is kind of crazy. Especially at Augusta and the sheer amount of media around him for every step of the way.

I did not personally see him throw the visor however my best friend who played a ton of golf with me in Augusta told me about it. I never cared about following Tiger in the first place so I would not have had a clue of any of his rampages. His son who was 10 at the time and was following Tiger closely. My friend said Tiger was off his game a bit and seem irritated while walking to the next tee, which was when his son was seeking an autograph. Apparently there was no media close enough to pick up this behavior or it would have been on the Augusta and national news that night.

I thought I was the only one on this forum that didn't care for him . I use to turn the TV off when he was leading on the weekend. Needless to say I didn't watch much golf back in his glory years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you are not alone... :)

yes, he was good for golf (in some ways). yes, he was an incredible golfer (at one time). yes, he was a super egotistical pompous jerk who misbehaved in outlandish ways on and off the course.

cannot. stand. him. can't wait for the media to tire of the non-story that he can't play with the big dogs anymore. today proved he can't.

When I was younger I got Tigers autograph. It was at East Lake and one of my friends dad was the main security person for him on site. He forfeited his autograph chance for me.... Here lies a problem, he wasn't just signing for little kids, I had to use someone in his entourage to get an autograph as a 12 year old (his first tour championship and I believe had only won 1 major at the time)When these people grow up, the realty sinks in that some Heros aren't approachable or will share time with you. Mistreatment of so many grows old and in times when you need support there is nothing to be had.

Don't feel bad tiger I shot 90 today.

Things could always be worse .

I have a new personal goal. Shoot 84... I'm close. Now I have a little more motivation.

Armchair critics and pros, lol. When will we stop making excuses for the guy? He's never had a perfect swing!
He's never had a perfect swing? Are you serious? What is your definition of a perfect swing? Remember the Tiger slam, and the way he annihilated the field?.... I'm pretty sure we won't see a more dominant player in golf anytime soon....

Tap it in.....

He's never had a perfect swing? Are you serious? What is your definition of a perfect swing? Remember the Tiger slam, and the way he annihilated the field?.... I'm pretty sure we won't see a more dominant player in golf anytime soon....

Tap it in.....

To be fair, I don't agree with the rest of his comment but I do agree that he's never had a perfect swing. Then again, what IS a perfect swing? Not sure anyone has one. Closest I've seen is Adam Scott. Basically robotic.

What tiger did better than anyone was basically the scoring factor of simply knowing how to score, and the fact that he was more physically powerful than basically anyone. He over powered the field and putted out of his mind. He had creativity and the skill to pull it off. But every time I watched him I definitely thought to myself that he was eventually going to wear his body out with how hard he always swung. It looks like that's started to happen now. No doubt he was the best player in that 10 year or so span, but there are others that have better swings that weren't anywhere close to as successful. Golf is so much more than the swing, and Tiger had basically all of it. But now that his body isn't as effective, his mind and confidence is going out of it too and that's why he's struggling.

Today's round was sad to see -- worse than MJ struggling with the Wizards. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt he digs himself out of this mess. Too many injuries and too many swing changes.

I'm certainly the minority but I feel horrible for him, a series of poor decisions a few years ago has created one of the most epic collapses of a sports icon and human being ever. He is spiritually bankrupt, physically beat, and looks more lost than a person should be allowed. I feel bad for any person that has to go through that, it's not a place many come back from. I just wish he was as fortunate as many here and never made a poor decision in life, then he'd be able to stand on top of someone else and criticize them at one of their lowest points in life, that seems like a much more popular place to be.

I'm certainly the minority but I feel horrible for him, a series of poor decisions a few years ago has created one of the most epic collapses of a sports icon and human being ever. He is spiritually bankrupt, physically beat, and looks more lost than a person should be allowed. I feel bad for any person that has to go through that, it's not a place many come back from. I just wish he was as fortunate as many here and never made a poor decision in life, then he'd be able to stand on top of someone else and criticize them at one of their lowest points in life, that seems like a much more popular place to be.

Or 13

Cheating on your wife once is a mistake.

Doing it with 13 or so women is a scumbag.

I still don't think he deserved to be judged but I also don't think he deserves to be defended .

I just dont see it that way. People continue to point to #UglyHookerGate and frankly I dont think the die hard golf fans look at it like that. Love him or hate him, he is polarizing for a lot of actions including the way he, himself treated fans his entire career, the way he acted on the golf course and finally the way he handled the limelight.

We are not talking about poor celebrity that cleansed his soul. We are talking about a guy that said "winning cures all".

I just dont see it that way. People continue to point to #UglyHookerGate and frankly I dont think the die hard golf fans look at it like that. Love him or hate him, he is polarizing for a lot of actions including the way he, himself treated fans his entire career, the way he acted on the golf course and finally the way he handled the limelight.

We are not talking about poor celebrity that cleansed his soul. We are talking about a guy that said "winning cures all".

I know dude, I think having been lower than snail $hit at one point in my life gives me a different perspective on how he must feel inside right now. I can't condone his actions in any manner but I can see the human in the hero now and it's got to be a pretty uncomfortable place for him. Just sayin dude, you know I'm a pretty easy going guy, it's easier for me to think that way.

I know dude, I think having been lower than snail $hit at one point in my life gives me a different perspective on how he must feel inside right now. I can't condone his actions in any manner but I can see the human in the hero now and it's got to be a pretty uncomfortable place for him. Just sayin dude, you know I'm a pretty easy going guy, it's easier for me to think that way.

And its a great perspective. I just think its flawed to assume others cannot have an opinion on someone regardless of the reasons. Judgement makes the world go round, right or wrong and I also think the entire premise that he is uncomfortable is no more of a guess than the thought that he is coming back, retiring or anything else. FWIW, I just dont think he cares as much anymore. He had a fire and it was built on a huge house of cards.

Sympthay from me is saved for a person that asks or needs, more than a person that spits at the notion. All we ever hear are half truths. Need more reps, dont play. Gotta fix my attitude, nothing changes. Found religion. Need therapy....Blah Blah Blah. If you are looking for sympathy or defense, its simple, treat people as you want to be treated. Hard in this position, but not impossible.

And its a great perspective. I just think its flawed to assume others cannot have an opinion on someone regardless of the reasons. Judgement makes the world go round, right or wrong and I also think the entire premise that he is uncomfortable is no more of a guess than the thought that he is coming back, retiring or anything else. FWIW, I just dont think he cares as much anymore. He had a fire and it was built on a huge house of cards.

Sympthay from me is saved for a person that asks or needs, more than a person that spits at the notion. All we ever hear are half truths. Need more reps, dont play. Gotta fix my attitude, nothing changes. Found religion. Need therapy....Blah Blah Blah. If you are looking for sympathy or defense, its simple, treat people as you want to be treated. Hard in this position, but not impossible.

Solid perspective dude as always, but one I just don't share this time. I'll paddle back to my island lol.

Solid perspective dude as always, but one I just don't share this time. I'll paddle back to my island lol.

No paddling necessary...But we both love islands. :angel:

I totally agree, JB. He just doesn't seem to care much anymore. That's ok, but he is starting to look foolish out there because for some reason, people are always expecting big things out of him. He's on a downfall for whatever reason, but its almost laughable at times, and I don't even dislike him. I can not imagine the amount of mental focus these guys have to have, but Tiger's head seems to be all over the place since the "#uglyhookergate"... I think he's got an addiction and that's a hard ship to right. He may not be the best to the fans, but I think it's surprising when these guys are. More skeletons in the closet than I am sure we know about. It would be cool to see Tiger play good golf again, but I don't think it's going to happen.

I totally agree, JB. He just doesn't seem to care much anymore. That's ok, but he is starting to look foolish out there because for some reason, people are always expecting big things out of him. He's on a downfall for whatever reason, but its almost laughable at times, and I don't even dislike him. I can not imagine the amount of mental focus these guys have to have, but Tiger's head seems to be all over the place since the "#uglyhookergate"... I think he's got an addiction and that's a hard ship to right. He may not be the best to the fans, but I think it's surprising when these guys are. More skeletons in the closet than I am sure we know about. It would be cool to see Tiger play good golf again, but I don't think it's going to happen.

The crazy part is, I still think he has a few lightning in a bottle tournaments left in the tank. Especially at places that the big stick is not needed. He will find it, just not to the level people expect it.

To be fair, I don't agree with the rest of his comment but I do agree that he's never had a perfect swing. Then again, what IS a perfect swing? Not sure anyone has one. Closest I've seen is Adam Scott. Basically robotic.

What tiger did better than anyone was basically the scoring factor of simply knowing how to score, and the fact that he was more physically powerful than basically anyone. He over powered the field and putted out of his mind. He had creativity and the skill to pull it off. But every time I watched him I definitely thought to myself that he was eventually going to wear his body out with how hard he always swung. It looks like that's started to happen now. No doubt he was the best player in that 10 year or so span, but there are others that have better swings that weren't anywhere close to as successful. Golf is so much more than the swing, and Tiger had basically all of it. But now that his body isn't as effective, his mind and confidence is going out of it too and that's why he's struggling.
I do not think there is a perfect swing. There are so many different swings, styles, tempos, body types, etc.

But exactly as you put it tigers 10 year span with that extremely aggressive, fast swing and the mental aptitude to go with dominated everyone. And that led to an increase in popularity amongst everyone and now we are watching the kids who grew up watching him play some amazing golf....there is far too much parity now for any "perfect swing" ....

Tap it in.....

I'm sure he's aware of what the swing issue is, but for some reason he keeps doing the same thing to maintain swing speed, at least according to GC. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but I know nothing.

not according to haney's "the big miss." one of the most interesting things I read in the book was how little tiger knew about the golf swing. I remember after he fired Haney and became his own coach, that was some of the worst golf I'd ever seen him play (until now).

I feel sad for tiger. the bigger they are... to be at the top, where everyone was SCARED of you, to now being the worst player in the foursome, I just can't imagine.

Everyone is expecting Tiger to be the old Tiger. That Tiger is gone. Tiger needs to relax when he is playing the Tour. He needs to have fun. He hasn't had fun since before his Dad died. Tiger needs to make a decision. Either play more tournaments or retire. He needs more tournaments under his belt to be a contender. Thing is I don't know if he wants to contend. I think his mind is on his kids and Lindsey Vonn. He is going to have to make a big decision...

I used to dislike Tiger when he was dominant, mainly because there was so much hype around him and he seemed too perfect. Now that I've seen the vulnerable side of him, I find myself rooting for him. There's a part of me that wants him to play well again, because I love come back stories. I also like antiheroes.

Back