The Possibility of Another Morgan Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised by so many people saying "post count should matter." It's just my opinion here, but think about the quality of posts for testers and even anywhere on the forum, this place won't be the same as it is right now. Maybe avg. post count/join date should matter who knows it's just an idea. I just wouldn't want to see the quality of THP go down because of another Morgan Cup.

Why? If you don't post, how can you possibly be active? Granted, quality of post should matter, but what if you make 10 good "quality" posts a month (maybe even the ten "best" posts of the month) but that's all you do. Does that make you "active"?

I think that a lot of guys have said some good stuff in this thread today, so there's not a whole lot that I can add. I can say that as a participant in the first Morgan Cup, I realized the closer that the event got, it was more about representing THP and the companies behind the event rather than the tournament aspect of it, and a big part of that was being active on here and getting people excited about the event. I agree that post count has to be a part of it, but I have a feeling that post count will only be a small part of the criteria to get into any further Morgan Cups.

Also, I agree with some people: just simply posting "Welcome to THP" for newcomers or having 1-line posts in other threads doesn't really contribute all that much to the forum overall. There are places on the forum where shorter posts are acceptable (banter away thread, for example), but I think that it's pretty easy to figure out what type of posts are more valuable on a forum like this. I know that I'm not as active post-wise as some other guys that were in the MC, but I try to stay as active as I can on here, and I'm not going away after the MC. It's like coolbreeze said, "your activity level will speak for itself if there ever was a MC 2.0."

Well said. People would be able to run up count if they really want to. But will it be worth anything

Why? If you don't post, how can you possibly be active? Granted, quality of post should matter, but what if you make 10 good "quality" posts a month (maybe even the ten "best" posts of the month) but that's all you do. Does that make you "active"?

I know what you're talking about. But think if someone joins just for the Morgan cup and get 500 posts in one month does that make them active? I'm simply saying that I'm trying to watch out for quality on the forums.

I know what you're talking about. But think if someone joins just for the Morgan cup and get 500 posts in one month does that make them active? I'm simply saying that I'm trying to watch out for quality on the forums.

Not in my opinion. But on top of that, at least for this one, you had to find the answers to some things that were only found on the home page. Someone who is not active is not going to know the answers to those fast enough because they either haven't read the article or don't know where it is located.

There are still those posts that are lacking quality going on right now by new members, and there isn't even anything going on right now that would warrant them!

The more I think of it, the more I'd like to see an invitation only event. The outings have enough slots to allow newer members to be introduced to THP events and really get to know the community. An invitation only event would allow THP to eliminate some risk and go with proven posters, reviewers, and personalities.

This could also lead to the feeling of the MC being a responsibility to THP and the OEMs rather than something that was an award.

Last edited:
Sure takes a lot of thinking about. Participating in the Morgan Cup is a big responsibility.

For what it's worth, if someone asked me if I'd rather have a full bag of custom fitted equipment, apparel, etc...or THP...you can bet your house I'd still be here tomorrow. The pressure is really on THP as a whole to make sure that both THP and the OEMs are well represented in all aspects of this competition.

That is a very true statement. I can think of at least two members who had joined just before the MC was announced and as the drawing day drew closer you saw more and more posts from them, they were on every thread it seems. Thinking about it now, I cant remember when the last time I have seen either of them post. It is a known fact (or should be) that people see the contests and the chances for testing great equipment available here on sites such as twitter and facebook and they join the site merely for the chance to get something for little effort. It is also well documented that this next outing has "suffered" the same fate. It is up to the leadership of this forum to come up with methods and ideas to counter that and I have no doubt they will do just that.

The more I think of it, the more I'd like to see an invitation only event. The outings have enough slots to allow newer members to be introduced to THP events and really get to know the community. An invitation only event would allow THP to eliminate some risk and go with proven posters, reviewers, and personalities.

Interesting idea here. Then maybe the forum can vote for the two captains?

You could also have the teams picked from the yearly Outing participants. It could even be part of the competition aspect of the outing. There are enough people coming to the next outing to easily pick two teams from.

You could also have the teams picked from the yearly Outing participants. It could even be part of the competition aspect of the outing. There are enough people coming to the next outing to easily pick two teams from.

Only issue I could see with this thinking is the outing books so far in advance, it may be hard to get the best of our best to participate in TMC. This year's example would be TC, one of our greatest assets, but understandably couldnt commit to the outing a full year in advance.

Only issue I could see with this thinking is the outing books so far in advance, it may be hard to get the best of our best to participate in TMC. This year's example would be TC, one of our greatest assets, but understandably couldnt commit to the outing a full year in advance.

Maybe a combination, some get picked via the outing. some by invite, some a drawing.. all good ideas I think.

I'm surprised by so many people saying "post count should matter." It's just my opinion here, but think about the quality of posts for testers and even anywhere on the forum, this place won't be the same as it is right now. Maybe avg. post count/join date should matter who knows it's just an idea. I just wouldn't want to see the quality of THP go down because of another Morgan Cup.

And it shouldnt and to get around that, we had questions that had to be answered that people would only know from being "part of" this forum.

Also, I agree with some people: just simply posting "Welcome to THP" for newcomers or having 1-line posts in other threads doesn't really contribute all that much to the forum overall. There are places on the forum where shorter posts are acceptable (banter away thread, for example), but I think that it's pretty easy to figure out what type of posts are more valuable on a forum like this. I know that I'm not as active post-wise as some other guys that were in the MC, but I try to stay as active as I can on here, and I'm not going away after the MC. It's like coolbreeze said, "your activity level will speak for itself if there ever was a MC 2.0."

While I agree in principal, to me there is very little difference in those 1 line answers and those that only come on here to "banter". You know to drop funny one liners when they get a chance, never discuss anything golf related or THP related, etc...Im not singling anybody out or saying anybody was guilty of that, but quality should mean quality, not just quality that some find amusing.

This could also lead to the feeling of the MC being a responsibility to THP and the OEMs rather than something that was an award.

This was originally going to be the way it was done. However have you seen the backlash with just testing? Could you imagine what it would be with this?

I have actually thought quite a bit about this. Not sure really, but I would be lying if I said it had not crossed my mind.

While I agree with this as well, how could someone commit to a MC a year in advance and not an outing?

Problem here is that outings are for the most part filled up way in advance. Sometimes people can't commit to an outing because they don't know if they can get off that far in advance. And then what if you can get off work for the outing but you couldn't take another break from work a few months later? Or you can take the time off in September but you can't in May? Two travels for golf could be tough on some people in the same year.

Following everything before and during TMC, I know everybody would love it to happen again. I haven't been a member long enough to know how the app process went, but I'm sure there were lots of people clamouring to do it, and would be even more if all were lucky enough for there to be another. Don't know if Canadians were allowed to apply, but if so I know I'd be interested (duh). By the sounds of things, almost everything went amazing!

Problem here is that outings are for the most part filled up way in advance. Sometimes people can't commit to an outing because they don't know if they can get off that far in advance. And then what if you can get off work for the outing but you couldn't take another break from work a few months later? Or you can take the time off in September but you can't in May? Two travels for golf could be tough on some people in the same year.

This is true but I guarantee you it would stop the people jumping on the wagon just to get their grab bag and then see ya later. If I'm going to spend enough bucks to make an outing I am a serious candidate for Morgan Cup material. The money or time off work is a huge issue however you could maybe combine the events?

Following everything before and during TMC, I know everybody would love it to happen again. I haven't been a member long enough to know how the app process went, but I'm sure there were lots of people clamouring to do it, and would be even more if all were lucky enough for there to be another. Don't know if Canadians were allowed to apply, but if so I know I'd be interested (duh). By the sounds of things, almost everything went amazing!

You followed everything before and during and did not know if Canadians were allowed in? :alien:

This is true but I guarantee you it would stop the people jumping on the wagon just to get their grab bag and then see ya later. If I'm going to spend enough bucks to make an outing I am a serious candidate for Morgan Cup material. The money or time off work is a huge issue however you could maybe combine the events?

This is very true OG. However lets keep in mind that any MC is also here to grow THP and the brands involved. Making it completely segregated does not do enough of that in my opinion.

I totally agree, where I'm just at the hc limit for last mc, I'd love to do it and it sucks thinking people want to do it for the stuff, I don't care about equipment, is do it for the serious competition, and hopefully braging rights for a year

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

That's exactly what happened to me. Plus I don't even know if I would even be able to, I don't know when the local tourneys are going on, all I can do is hope for the best when it comes to planning things almost a year away.

We had two Canadians involved in the MC. Skimmer, lol.

I find this thread entertaining. Team THP should have whoever they want involved for the betterment of their business. They know who are good assets and ambassadors and they should be able to choose who they want to participate and the forum should support their decision. Same goes for testing.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

That is a very true statement. I can think of at least two members who had joined just before the MC was announced and as the drawing day drew closer you saw more and more posts from them, they were on every thread it seems. Thinking about it now, I cant remember when the last time I have seen either of them post. It is a known fact (or should be) that people see the contests and the chances for testing great equipment available here on sites such as twitter and facebook and they join the site merely for the chance to get something for little effort. It is also well documented that this next outing has "suffered" the same fate. It is up to the leadership of this forum to come up with methods and ideas to counter that and I have no doubt they will do just that.

I know 2 members that joined and did a bunch of 1 word posts to get their count up to try and get it. Those same 2 stuck around and have embraced THP and now they are both involved in forum testing

That's exactly what happened to me. Plus I don't even know if I would even be able to, I don't know when the local tourneys are going on, all I can do is hope for the best when it comes to planning things almost a year away.

If someone is going to base being in a Morgan Cup around a local tournament that they might miss, it may not be for them. Its a different animal altogether.

I totally agree, where I'm just at the hc limit for last mc, I'd love to do it and it sucks thinking people want to do it for the stuff, I don't care about equipment, is do it for the serious competition, and hopefully braging rights for a year

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

Its not about the competition or bragging rights either. It's about being professional and representing this community and your sponsor.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

This is very true OG. However lets keep in mind that any MC is also here to grow THP and the brands involved. Making it completely segregated does not do enough of that in my opinion.

Maybe a combined approach then. Say take 8-12 of the Morgan Cuppers from the outing, and the other 4-8 out of an open process with whatever application process makes sense.

JB answered that one. If they cant commit to an outing a year in advance how can they commit to MC. That is a GREAT point by JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back