#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
You, win the $500M Powerball jackpot? It's not happening
By the CNN Wire Staff
updated 6:31 PM EST, Tue November 27, 2012

121127082423-powerball-ticket-story-top.jpg

Hoping to win Wednesday's record $500 million Powerball jackpot? Good luck -- you're going to need it.

(CNN) -- Last March, when the people of America were drooling at the thought of winning a record $656 million Mega Millions jackpot, we poured an icy bucket of mathematical reality over your head: You weren't going to win. And you didn't. Three winning tickets were sold, but you weren't involved. It was never going to happen. As we wrote then, you stood a better chance at hitting two consecutive holes in one on a par-3 golf hole than winning that jackpot.

Now, with a record $500 million Powerball jackpot up for grabs on Wednesday, we figured it was a great time to, once again, dash your dreams. We know, we know -- someone will win at least a share of the prize, if not Wednesday, then in some subsequent drawing. But it won't be you. The chance of a ticket winning a Powerball jackpot is 1 in 175,223,510 (slightly better than the chance of winning a Mega Millions jackpot, which is 1 in 175,711,536). Here are a few unlikely scenarios that, we're sorry to say, are much more likely than you taking home this jackpot.

From the Harvard School of Public Health:
-- Dying from a bee sting: 1 in 6.1 million.
-- Dying from being struck by lightning: 1 in 3 million.

From U.S. Hole in One, which insures golf prizes for holes in one:
-- An amateur golfer making a hole in one on a par-3 hole: 1 in 12,500.
-- A golfer hitting a hole in one on consecutive par-3 holes: 1 in about 156 million.

From a 2011 State Farm study on collisions between vehicles and deer:
-- Hitting a deer with a vehicle in Hawaii, the state where State Farm says deer-vehicle collisions are least likely: 1 in 6,267.
From the National Weather Service:
-- Being struck by lightning over an 80-year lifetime: 1 in 10,000.

From the Florida Museum of Natural History, based on U.S. beach injury statistics:
-- Drowning and other beach-related fatalities: 1 in 2 million.
-- Being attacked by a shark: 1 in 11.5 million.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/27/us/powerball-odds/

That being said, you bet your A$$ that I am buying some tickets for the drawing. A few bucks aren't going to hurt in the grand scheme of things.

And if I win, there is a huge party in Kansas you all are invited to!

That being said, you bet your A$$ that I am buying some tickets for the drawing. A few bucks aren't going to hurt in the grand scheme of things.

I bought me a couple also!!

TapaTalk from the iPhone

I'm buying my own Tour Van if I win and seeing every state and capitol.

For $2, it's worth a shot. To pay $2 for a chance to win $500m, those are some good pot odds. You can bet if I win, the THP Tour Van Green Bay stop will be amazing.

So you're saying there's a chance!!!

If a THPer won this, the forum would explode.

And yet someone did win!! I'll take my chances tomorrow, haha.

Heck yes I am buy tickets and after I win I am going ace back to back par 3's too!!

yeehaw, Kansas here we come

If a THPer won this, the forum would explode.

DUDE, If I won, I would rent Pebble Beach for the whole weekend and invite every THPer to come play for free!

Well the good news is I don't need to win the jackpot to be happy be bough numbers to get about a million would make me pretty happy.

You got to be in it to win it!! Mrs. Whozat is in with a bunch of co-workers.

We did a company pool yesterday for about 60 tickets. Its always nice to dream of what we can do with the jackpot!

There's an Office Space quote that would be awesome here. I think all of you know it...

What's the latest you can get some tickets? I forgot to get mine today. Your odds go down to 0 if you don't try!

"You can't win if you don't play," That's what I always say, & "Someone's gonna win, why not me." :laughing: I play the lottery weekly & know the odds are terrible, but I keep trying, hoping one day I get VERY lucky!!! :act-up: So, of course I bought several Powerball Tix!!!

What's the latest you can get some tickets? I forgot to get mine today. Your odds go down to 0 if you don't try!

Isn't it like an hour before the drawing? So late tomorrow would be the latest.

DUDE, If I won, I would rent Pebble Beach for the whole weekend and invite every THPer to come play for free!

wow that's amazing man, hope you win! But first you have to buy yourself a mansion with a practice golf course on it

May pick up a few tomorrow to say I tried.

It's big enough now that your ROI makes it a profitable venture. Buy that ticket and feel like a savvy business man!!

No lotto here. Luckily one of the cart guys at the course was going to Arizona to get some...gave him $25 + $5 tip to bring me back some. So hate to say....I'm the winner sorry guys.

But for real....best of luck to everyone. One time baby dollllll.

It will be someone. What if the guy(s) who wins reads this? Then the title makes no sense.

Anyways, those odds suck. I won't be buying one.

No lotto here. Luckily one of the cart guys at the course was going to Arizona to get some...gave him $25 + $5 tip to bring me back some. So hate to say....I'm the winner sorry guys.

But for real....best of luck to everyone. One time baby dollllll.

Don't forget to take care of your Mom and I don't mean nursing home!

If a THPer wins I say they lobby an Augusta member to get us a Tour Van event there and cover airfare and hotel for every THPer who wants to come.

If I win, I'd probably be committing some sort of age fraud or something. Anyway, I'd rather have a 100% chance of downing 2 20oz os Mtn Dew then a .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance of all that money, so that won't be an issue.

Back