The THP Event Rules Thread - Bring On The Fun

I've got a few to add...

- Don't apologize for the golf you regularly play. THP events are not for purely professionals and if you're a 30 handicap you're not expected to shoot in the 70s or 80s at an event. Keep in mind that the quality of the person outweighs the quality of the golf game 10 times out of 10.

- I'm overrated and only intimidating if you take me seriously hahahaha

- we all went to a "1st" THP event and knew no one. The best solution is to be vocal (within reason) and smile. Friendships will be forged.

- if you're a vet of THP events or THP in general, own the idea that you can make a positive difference for the experiences of newcomers. Chances are they'll recognize your name and look up to your experience.

- for the love of sanity, once again, DON'T APOLOGIZE FOR BEING YOU AND PLAYING YOUR GAME! Own it and enjoy it.

-Don't get too uptight about music on the course.....so it may not be your particular genre, who cares, embrace it and have fun!

-Limit the on course Fireball shots....trust me on this one. THP events are awesome well into the evening, you want to be there for it!!!

You have to admit watching me try to dance to your thump, thump music was interesting :p

What is fireball?????????? :D

-Don't get too uptight about music on the course.....so it may not be your particular genre, who cares, embrace it and have fun!

-Limit the on course Fireball shots....trust me on this one. THP events are awesome well into the evening, you want to be there for it!!!

Amen.

For me, just don't be afraid to put yourself out there, it will change everything for you when it comes to THP. Just be you, smile, soak it all in, and be prepared to laugh a LOT at the hilarity that is sure to ensue at any THP event.

I would also add most THPERS are really approachable so please do not stand off in a corner waiting for someone to come talk to you, walk over and jump in the conversation.

totally agree here...seeking out people is easier than you think. so many people including me this past weekend went out of their way to introduce themselves instead of waiting.

i will add just be yourself...unless yourself is a richard then be a better person during the event.

- if you're a vet of THP events or THP in general, own the idea that you can make a positive difference for the experiences of newcomers. Chances are they'll recognize your name and look up to your experience.

Big one here, no one likes reading recaps that mention the word "clique" so when you see a new face make it a point to say hello, it goes a LONG way

• Have fun with your game. I like to try crap I normally wouldn't do; like skipping driver off the water 240 yards out, and hit completely blind shots through trees and stuff into greens. I've seen great golf at events, and bad. And guess what, the great wasn't always from a good player and the bad wasn't always from a bad player. It goes both ways. Who cares?!
  • Be careful in those bunkers. Pay attention to your surroundings, watch your step, and keep your feet beneath you at all times.
  • Same can be said for stepping out of carts. Be sure you're on level ground, or next thing you know you'll be tumbling down a hill like an oaf.
  • Never get nervous on the first tee of an event. Hit the club you KNOW will hit the fairway, even a wedge. Knocking a 3W 30 feet off the front of the box is embarrassing.
  • If you make a bet with Rhiona Sullivan, make sure the details are fully understood before shaking on it.

And wearing women's apparel (if you're a guy) will be spoken about for years. Not that I know anything about that. ;)
HA! See, I'd forgotten about that.... Now Wardy's visor doesn't seem so bad.

GregDan's first name is not Greg :)

But Kulbick's is.

It must be in the appendix.. but I thought JB's golden rule was every putt inside 10 ft was good

Beware the wrath of GG, play at a decent pace.

By God play ready golf! Or JB and GG will have your head! Just have fun and meet new people.

Don't plan a bunch of non related stuff to do during the time before or after the official event round....IE: having dinner with an old classmate, visiting the inlaws that live 30 miles away, etc... When I did the Branson outing my wife had us going here and there the night before, night of and morning after... not only did I miss a Friday and Sunday round, but apparently I missed some really serious mini golf and some serious chipping contests in the motel parking lot... along with a bunch of camaraderie. If I ever get the chance to do another THP event you can darn sure bet that my itinerary will be crystal clear the whole weekend.

ah and after seeing Jlukes, never bet against GG

Jlukes will always get major props for going through with it.
I mean MikeDean made a bet with a guy about a THP Event and the dude went MIA instead of honoring his part.
Should change his forum name to Welches Grape Juice.

I kid I kid...Kind of.

Don't eat food to which you have a food allergy the day before the event and end up in urgent care. :)

The THP Event Rules Thread - Bring On The Fun

For the first timers flying to THP event.

Mike Deans how to pack a staff bag is a must watch.

I'm on Tapatalk or I'd link it.

1- go talk to people, don't wait for them to talk to you. thp is only a clique if you let it be a clique. many of these people know each other from other events and are excited to see each other again, but if you want to meet somebody just go up and talk to them. EVERYBODY is there for the camaraderie first, and the golf second. i realized this toward the end of liita and now understand why the events are so addictive.

2- don't let a bad round ruin a good day. an adage for golf in general, but certainly for thp events since, once again, you're there for the people more than the golf.

3- introduce yourself by your handle first, name second. took me a little while to get used to this.

Step out of your comfort zone even if you are normally a shy person. It will be worth it I promise.

2. Keep an open mind about everyone remember this is the internet don't pre judge someone. You may not agree online but chances are they are a great person. I have yet to meet a bad thper in person

Hang out with people as much as possible. I haven't heard any great stories from events that started with "I went back to my room to watch golf channel".

But its ok if a group of people did that....especially if the TV is incompatible with the satellite box, so you are forced to watch Golf Channels with other THPers in black and white.

A 10-some may seem like a good idea when the course is empty, and it is a lot of laughs, but the pace is painfully slow.

Be considerate of your cart mate on Sunday morning. Sure, that breakfast burrito really cured your morning ailments, but your cart partner is probably still feeling a bit worse for wear, and when you pass some gas, it may have extreme detrimental effects on him.

~Rock

Step out of your comfort zone even if you are normally a shy person. It will be worth it I promise.

2. Keep an open mind about everyone remember this is the internet don't pre judge someone. You may not agree online but chances are they are a great person. I have yet to meet a bad thper in person

I want to meet this guy

Back