The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I support this training. 2 things to try (use a 7 or 8 iron) - 1. Put the ball more in the back on your stance and 2. Place a tee about a yard out in front of the ball but just to the toe of the iron, far enough that you won't hit it on your downswing. As you come down with the swing try and imagine trying to hit the tee with the ball/club on contact.

Just a couple of things I do when I'm working on a draw or straightening out my slice.

Good advice Nathan. I will take this to the range today as well

My fiancee got me a new set of razr x irons and it got here today. Hit them pretty ok and about 5-10 yards longer than my 9 year old adams iron set.

My fiancee got me a new set of razr x irons and it got here today. Hit them pretty ok and about 5-10 yards longer than my 9 year old adams iron set.

I just don't know that you want to compare your iron distances to your 9-year-old boy Adam.

I mean, sure... It's fun to taunt the little guy about being a short knocker but at the end of the day he is only 9 after all.

Oh, wait, might have read your post wrong! ;-)

I just don't know that you want to compare your iron distances to your 9-year-old boy Adam.

I mean, sure... It's fun to taunt the little guy about being a short knocker but at the end of the day he is only 9 after all.

Oh, wait, might have read your post wrong! ;-)

If my 9 year old can hit it that far, I would call her my retirement fund :act-up:

Hit balls outside without a coat yesterday. Score.

Heading back home to hit the XHOT Pro driver for the 1st time in my backyard. I can't make the range so I'm making my backyard the range. I hope there aren't many people walking in the back trail today.............show ya some pics when I get back.

I need to bring headphones to the range. Some people just like to hit a ball and chat for 5 minutes... then repeat.

I need to bring headphones to the range. Some people just like to hit a ball and chat for 5 minutes... then repeat.

I use situations like that to block out the background noise and focus on what I'm doing. Helps in situations where there is just noise going on that won't stop and to sharpen the needed focus for the course.

My range...lets go to work!

y7e7areb.jpg

birdie ball was a life saver today. it's finally starting to get nicer out, but no golf still.
was able to get some wedge swings in, in the yard using the birdie ball. felt great.

I have got to get some new irons, mine are just irritating the heck out of me. Can't get a consistent ball flight to save my life.

I went in and hit some TaylorMade MC's at the store the other day and hit everyone flush and could work it whatever way I wanted. My super entry level clubs have reached their end, and as soon as I can afford some new clubs, they're gone.

So much for a pre round range session. Here is what 1.5" of rain overnight does to the range:

sa9asepy.jpg

Spending some time at the range today, will be mats only but I don't care, these toe job shots and hooks must stop!

Nice range Cookie. Hopefully your course drains a little better than their practice range does.

Heading out to the range after work today. I'm going to work on something I never gave much thought to before: elbow position at address. I remember Hogan's Five Lessons book discussing it (elbows pointed toward hips), but I never considered it important. Well, I've been looking at photos of some pro golfers, and almost to a person their elbows are pointed downward. I even found a couple of YouTube videos talking specifically about this - yeah, my horrible swing path might have something to do with my elbows pointed outward.

I've lost my way. My last two range sessions have been a nightmare. Even with a lesson in between, during which I was making good contact, something is broken.

Shanks and tops. I think I've reverted back to too much arm involvement, and I'm going to need to spend some time doing drills to get things back in order.

Nice range Cookie. Hopefully your course drains a little better than their practice range does.

Haha, yep it certainly does! Combination of beaver dams and poor drainage plan by the city with this creek. Course is not allowed to do anything with either of those situations unfortunately.

So much for a pre round range session. Here is what 1.5" of rain overnight does to the range:

sa9asepy.jpg

We got a bunch of that rain south of Dallas last night as well. Ruined all my wife's plans for me working in the yard.
I guess DFW just isn't used to rain as nothing seems to drain around here.

Had a humbling session with tnolan in his yard last night. Had 5 junk balls that I hit with the j40 driver into the woods. Nothing worked right. Big slices. Then messed around with the birdie ball and his Cleveland 588 50*. Couldn't create a consistent shot with that either. Very frustrating, felt like I was back to square one swing wise. Plus it's supposed to snow again here this week. Icing on the cake.

I'm about to head to the range, I've had a few rounds in a row where I have really struck the ball poorly. I have been playing a left to right shot shape with my irons, and slicing my woods, which is not normal for me. All of my normal fixes have done nothing to abate it, which has really been pissing me off. I've also lost big distance on my irons.

Last night something struck me while measuring a kitchen for a project. A guy I was playing with on Friday said "you hit the ball a long way, especially with such a short swing. I found that odd because I take the club to parallel on my back swing. I went outside and grabbed a club out of the truck, and sure enough I was stopping my backswing WELL short. I am not sure how I started doing this, but I have a feeling this is playing a big part in my woes.

I'm about to head to the range, I've had a few rounds in a row where I have really struck the ball poorly. I have been playing a left to right shot shape with my irons, and slicing my woods, which is not normal for me. All of my normal fixes have done nothing to abate it, which has really been pissing me off. I've also lost big distance on my irons.

Last night something struck me while measuring a kitchen for a project. A guy I was playing with on Friday said "you hit the ball a long way, especially with such a short swing. I found that odd because I take the club to parallel on my back swing. I went outside and grabbed a club out of the truck, and sure enough I was stopping my backswing WELL short. I am not sure how I started doing this, but I have a feeling this is playing a big part in my woes.

I went thru the same thing a few months ago and it was due to a bad takeaway. I was opening the clubface and could not square it in time at impact. Just a thought that might help.

Well went to the range and sure enough, a soon as I focused on completing my backswing, I was back to a straight ball or draw. I went out and walked 9 and it even transitioned to the course. Its odd because I have never has that problem, even when I've tried to shorten my swing while working on something, I have struggled to do so.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

I am really struggling with my alignment right now. I feel all out of sorts unless the target is directly in front of me. Oddly, it goes away when I have a wedge in my hands. Most likely because I'm opened up to the target. Ticks me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back