The Worst of the Worst

Diane

Reaction score
Ok - we all manage to hit bad shots every so often or quite often, but which one annoys you more than all the others. Is it when you top it, blade it, whiff it or shank it? I know there's more, but as most of you know - I don't speak golf very fluently. Which lousy shot makes you want to hit yourself with the club after you do it?

I absolutely LOATHE when I top/skull a shot, its the only shot that really draws out my anger anymore.

I've calmed down ALOT since the last time I was quasi-serious about trying to get better at this game.

I have lousy shots all the time :) My worst shot was the other day when I meant to use a wedge to chip it onto the green, and I didn't pay attention to the club that I took out of my bag and it happened to be a 9 iron and I cleared the green and it ended up on the next hole :( Unfortunately, I had a great shot, great height and everything else, just hit it way too hard with the wrong club :banghead:

The straight left pull shot is my least favorite. You're likely to never find it and other than that and the fact it's not down the middle of the fairway, flight of the ball was one of the prettiest and longest you will hit that day.

The straight left pull shot is my least favorite. You're likely to never find it and other than that and the fact it's not down the middle of the fairway, flight of the ball was one of the prettiest and longest you will hit that day.

couldnt agree more.
I actually almost setup and try and pull the ball. It goes way farther, and you cant pull a pull too badly. So, that pull that I hate, has turned into drives that I love. But it sucks when a powerfade is needed

I think the dreaded topped pull shot is the worst :angry:

Yeah... pull or pull hook. Ugly and often fatal to my score. :banghead:

Laying sod over the ball is the one that irritates me the most. I don't know how many times I have crushed a drive and left myself 125 or less into a green and then end up scrambling to try and save par.

Two of them for me. One is when I have a short touch shot and decelerate through the ball and hit it about half the distance I needed. The other is occasionally when I get too confident over a shot, or try and do too much, I will come down to the ball too steep and hit about 4 inches behind the ball. Needless to say, that one doesn't go anywhere either.

I am good for one or the other, or both, about once a round. Once I do it, I am mindful of it and won't do it again.

There are two for me, and I had them happen to me consecutively on a hole this weekend.

The first is a topped drive. The kind that hits the inside bottom of you driver, and bounces about 30 ft off the tee. It's embarrassing having to walk to your second shot with your pants around your ankles... especially because I'm of Irish desent. :beat-up:

The second (ironically my second shot on this hole) is the fat shot that MO just described. Hitting it sooo fat you find a burrowing mole, and the ball goes about 20 ft again.

Incidentally, there was water infront of this shot, and some lucky beaver is decorating his living room with a shiny Penta...:banghead:

Ok - we all manage to hit bad shots every so often or quite often, but which one annoys you more than all the others. Is it when you top it, blade it, whiff it or shank it? I know there's more, but as most of you know - I don't speak golf very fluently. Which lousy shot makes you want to hit yourself with the club after you do it?

I think I posted about this topic once before but I'll say it again: Why would anyone want to write about their worst shots?

I hit bad shots just like everyone else but I tend to forget them as quickly as possible and I certainly don't have any kind of "Hall of Fame" for them. I'm sure some will disagree, but I honestly don't see the point in reliving my mistakes. I think it's a lot healthier to focus on what I do well than to brag about what I've done poorly.

But 'ahm jus' feeky like 'dat! :D

-JP

JP - This is different. This is the shot you're annoyed at yourself for making because you know you can do it better. I HATE when I top the ball because I know it's pure stupidity that makes me do it and I know I don't have to do it.

When I hit a push cut. I lose distance and I then have to hit it out of the right trees.

Lord I hate that shot.

I hate when I top the ball... hooking it doesn't bother me as much, only because i usually connect pretty well even when I hook it.. hehe

JP - This is different. This is the shot you're annoyed at yourself for making because you know you can do it better. I HATE when I top the ball because I know it's pure stupidity that makes me do it and I know I don't have to do it.

ToMAYto, toMAHto.

Seems the same to me.

But if it makes you happy, then by all means, post away! :D

-JP

Missing a tap in putt. I missed from inside 12 inches once because i took the shot for granted.....

Like everyone here, I have all the really poor shots in my repertoire, but if there's one that gets my goat the worst, it would be the chunked greenside pitch shot. To have this shot means I have already probably hit an indifferent approach, but am looking at reasonable chance to pitch one up in 'high percentage make' range to leave with par. Then comes the chunk, a shot that can be caused by myriad different mistakes, but most likely by enough deceleration that the clubhead gets entangled in the grass enough that the ball pops barely onto the green a long way from what had been looking like a pretty chance to save par. And, believe me, the putt after that shot is an extremely 'low percentage make' putt.

Missing a tap in putt. I missed from inside 12 inches once because i took the shot for granted.....

Good one! This is such a stroke waster.

Any bad shot that involves a 3W. Stupid 3W.

Kevin

That's actually a tough question. But if I could only pick one I'd probably have to go with hitting it fat.

The wedge shot from 10 yards out that I decelerate on and hit fat that only goes 2 feet in front of me. The divot will sometimes travel further than that.

Shots where I lose yards, it happened twice last year, stupid trees!

Toss up between chunking a pitch shot w/ one of my wedges or a bad slice w/ the driver (even w/ the square head).

Either one will evoke a club throw from me every now and then.

Am I proud of that? Of course not. However, I have to admit, frustration gets the better of me on occasion.

(Don't ask me what I finally did w/ my (former) 60* wedge one day after chunking one w/ it)

Back