Tiger Woods Short Game Woes

Lots of guys in here talking about chutting. I wonder how many realize how often it happens at a PGA Tour event? Reminds me of a few other amateur golfer things like buttery and hot face stuff.

His short game, along with the rest of his game will come around when it comes around. Tiger is not worried about what anyone thinks about his short game, or his game in general. He knows what he's doing and will find a way to make it ALL work up to HIS standards.

It takes a lot of you know what to make drastic changes under the microscope reserved just for him. Anyone else wouldn't have even contemplated such an endeavour. But that's what makes him great. That's why he is the only one that moves the needle.

For the next little while, everyone can have some fun with these types of threads and comments but rest assured, Tiger will put them to bed. He's done it in the past and will do it again.

I'm strangely excited with what I see. I expected him to come back and win a few more tournaments but I have this strange feeling it will be bigger than that. Time will tell I guess.

According to Mr. Gary Player, he said Tiger started going down the "mechanics" path after the 2000 US Open at Pebble Beach and Mr. Player said he wish he could have slapped some sense into him.

This, this right here. Tiger has overanalyzed his swing to the point that he's becoming a robot out there - which is never good for a short game, since short game is ALL ABOUT FEEL. And robots don't feel (sci-fi morality plays notwithstanding).

instead of hearing him say that it's a cross up of his old and new patterns, I'd like to what he really sees. But we will never get that from him. Perhaps I shall do my part and send him these.

51peRyZvDfL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

91S2tZ1iVBL._SL1500_.jpg
Gary will talk to anyone that listens. It happens when people get old. No one checks them because they are old. 2000 was the beginning of the greatest stretch of golf we have ever witnessed. Is was full of creativity and free swings. Nothing mechanical about TW until recent years.
According to Mr. Gary Player, he said Tiger started going down the "mechanics" path after the 2000 US Open at Pebble Beach and Mr. Player said he wish he could have slapped some sense into him.

This, this right here. Tiger has overanalyzed his swing to the point that he's becoming a robot out there - which is never good for a short game, since short game is ALL ABOUT FEEL. And robots don't feel (sci-fi morality plays notwithstanding).
I still remember how adamant Player was when he said he could fix Tiger in an hour. (perhaps the coolest golf related conversation in my life)

For the next little while, everyone can have some fun with these types of threads and comments but rest assured, Tiger will put them to bed. He's done it in the past and will do it again.

Not sure I understand. Has about 8 wins in a little over 5 years with none being majors.

While I have never said he is done and certainly dont think so now, the entire idea of "You just wait until the huge comeback happens" is a ship that has sailed. I believe he will win again, but lets not pretend or think that his mediocrity is all of a sudden a new thing. I posted this thread because while his short game has been awful for about a year, the last 6 months have shown new lows for a guy that many considered to have the best short game ever.

I don't know what it is, he said he has some new wedges with new bounces and grinds and for an amateur there may be a tough go for a few rounds getting dialed in, but for a tour pro to consistently hit poor shots like that tells me either he's got the yips with the wedges or he has not been practicing the shortgame at all, I mean like none.

Phil always amazed with the crazy shots from the shortgame but Tiger used to do make incredible up and downs with his wedges and his putter and from what little I saw of him in this tournament, he's been very apprehensive with a wedge in his hand, his plane is hard inside on some and steep on others, it's really strange. It also looks like he's taken a lot of bounce off his wedges and he's digging and stumping like us mortals do with our buddies.

I hate watching this happen, just like I hated it happening to Duval. I just don't understand why it's happening..

Gary will talk to anyone that listens. It happens when people get old. No one checks them because they are old. 2000 was the beginning of the greatest stretch of golf we have ever witnessed. Is was full of creativity and free swings. Nothing mechanical about TW until recent years.

You got that right. He spoke to 3 of us at Grand Cypress for about 90 minutes about how he could fix the PGA Tour, Phil's putting and John Daly.

Maybe we can get Tiger to post a thread in the swing tips section here

This is just sad. To go from what he had to this. If something doesnt change i personally cant see him being around for much longer...

my sentiments exactly - he simply doesn't need the frustration at his stage of life, with his bank account.

As an 11+ hdcp, I can't speak to what his problems are. He may only have 8 wins in the last 5 years, but he's also finished first and second on the money list in that same time frame, made the cut 56 out of 63 tries. It's bad now, and may players have bad stretches. Write him off at your own peril.

Lots of guys in here talking about chutting. I wonder how many realize how often it happens at a PGA Tour event? Reminds me of a few other amateur golfer things like buttery and hot face stuff.
tiger could not even chut well

I'm making fun of it, but a wise man named JB taught me a while ago that the most reliable path to the hole is the best, and I have taken it to heart. I won't hesitate to chutt, bump and run, chip with a hybrid, whatever.

Frankly I'm not sure I understand. You say the last 5 years but you fail to mention his personal struggles and injuries. Self inflicted or not, as far as I'm concerned he's only played golf for a couple of years. And when you put those victories into the mix, it's nothing short of remarkable. Dare I say, very Tiger like.

Everyone speaks of the last 4 to 5 years as if everything was normal in his life and he was perfectly healthy. Not making any excuses for some of his trials and tribulations, but it did take away tremendously from his game. Now add to that a drastic swing change that he believes will have him playing the type of golf he is use to playing, without causing anymore (or very little) physical strain or injuries.

Question now is, what's he doing to get it back to form. I believe he is completely on the right track, and I admire his perseverance and his determination to stay on track despite his learning and getting comfortable curve being out there for all of us to see and comment on.

And truth be told, getting back to what I said before, I never remember reading these types of comments during Duval's struggles when he was trying to regain his form. All the comments I read were very supportive and far from negative. To each their own I guess.

Maybe we can get Tiger to post a thread in the swing tips section here
That would take humility on his part. I've spoken to several teachers on the issue and we all feel the same. Even Foley feels he needs to get back to just learning to play.

I'd give him a wedge and 10 shots and we would play closet to the hole or up and down. Tell jokes and laugh. Then I'd take him on the course with some good gamblers and let him play for dollars. Bring the fun back. I know GP touched yoy with your talk so im sorry if I offended you.

And truth be told, getting back to what I said before, I never remember reading these types of comments during Duval's struggles when he was trying to regain his form. All the comments I read were very supportive and far from negative. To each their own I guess.

That's most likely because Duval is not anywhere near the polarizing figure Tiger is...

Frankly I'm not sure I understand. You say the last 5 years but you fail to mention his personal struggles and injuries. Self inflicted or not, as far as I'm concerned he's only played golf for a couple of years. And when you put those victories into the mix, it's nothing short of remarkable. Dare I say, very Tiger like.

Everyone speaks of the last 4 to 5 years as if everything was normal in his life and he was perfectly healthy. Not making any excuses for some of his trials and tribulations, but it did take away tremendously from his game. Now add to that a drastic swing change that he believes will have him playing the type of golf he is use to playing, without causing anymore (or very little) physical strain or injuries.

Question now is, what's he doing to get it back to form. I believe he is completely on the right track, and I admire his perseverance and his determination to stay on track despite his learning and getting comfortable curve being out there for all of us to see and comment on.

Every guy out there has injuries, personal issues, etc.
It does not make them shank chips like an amateur.

As mentioned, I have never said he is done and dont think so, but I do believe some (many) have blinders on in regards to where he is, and what has gone on the last 5 years.

As far as DD goes, he wasnt the best to ever play. Nobody is debating Luke Donald, Lee Westwood, Martin Kaymer (even Phil Mickelson) or any other former number ones either.

The traditional media is not interested in creating new stories, therefore fans get mediocrity crammed down their throats and then the rehashing begins.

Watching him hit shots like this more than once in different tournaments is tough to see. I'm not a huge Tiger fan but I also think him playing well is good for the game.

That's most likely because Duval is not anywhere near the polarizing figure Tiger is...

And that's the discussion to be had. Why is Tiger so polarizing.

Forget the small talk about his chipping and pitching.

And that's the discussion to be had. Why is Tiger so polarizing.

Forget the small talk about his chipping and pitching.

You can call it "small talk", but the numbers it's leading to sure aren't small. #44 #TigerWoodsBogeyGolfer :alien:

I wouldn't write off Tiger just yet. He has played 4 competitive rounds 6 weeks apart after a long layoff. I feel certain he could chip better if he wanted to, but instead he is committed to using his new and somewhat different techniques and not trying mid-round fixes or adjustments. I seem to remember he struggled badly when he first went to Foley's methods, but once it clicked he reeled off a number of wins and POY again. His driving distance tells that he is on a good track. His iron distance control is not there yet, and his transition to new chipping angles is really not ready. I give him credit for sticking with it under the heat of poor results - and at some point I believe it will all click.

The one thing that I think will keep him from being a dominant player again is his short putting - unless he regains his deadly ability under 6 feet, he will continue to lose a couple of strokes there each week, a formula that does not add up to numerous victories.

Big fan, all I see is a mediocre Tiger at best, he might win again if he plays enough events, don't see any more majors.

more reps more reps more reps...i get that there is a difference between tournament conditions & home course conditions, but not sure its this much of a difference...65 at home 82 in Tourney 17 shots...no way

He has more woes than just the short game.........

Must suck looking at the list of players this week and seeing yourself dead last being what he once was.

You got that right. He spoke to 3 of us at Grand Cypress for about 90 minutes about how he could fix the PGA Tour, Phil's putting and John Daly.

".......And you're all fat and Lazy Americans who need more exercise in your life....." :act-up: Sorry couldn't resist.

Regarding TW, I certainly don't know whats up, but he sure does look scared to me when he has a wedge in his hand. Regardless of what anyone thinks of him, he hasn't look scared until recently......

JM

Back