Tiger Woods Short Game Woes

Maybe he should try giving Roger Cleveland a call...just sayin :alien:

For everybody that says it will be fine eventually or it is coming back. How long before you dont think so? Its been well over a year. In my opinion he will have some bright spots. Bay Hill, Doral, Augusta and a few others. But if he starts to fail at those places then look out.

This is not a simple "he is working his way back" thing. His short game is flat out terrible right now.

I give him til the Masters. That is like his "home court." If he sucks it up at the Masters I'd say he is never going to back to one of the best golfers.

Does your full swing really effect your chipping this much or should his or any PGA tour player?

I see him bring his game back not quite to where he once was, but a competitive level by summer. His injury, recovery period. From my understanding working with a new coach is a different beast as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiger Woods Short Game Woes

I see him bring his game back not quite to where he once was, but a competitive level by summer. His injury, recovery period. From my understanding working with a new coach is a different beast as well.

He's done it three times before and never looked like this with his short game.

This is just sad. To go from what he had to this. If something doesnt change i personally cant see him being around for much longer...

That is just a sad display, but he did stick it out and finished the round! His excuses aren't working for me, I think it is ALL in his head for whatever reason.

He's done it three times at least before and never looked like this with his short game.

I cannot say for sure ,only the man knows himself. I would bet he is trying to get back to his form in the past to fast. It is not that simple it takes time, his short game was incredible and I do believe it will shine again.

He is a mental mess near the greens - almost like he has no more touch or feel. I have never seen him putt from the fairway/fringe as he did these past two days. He has no confidence in his chipping or pitching

I cannot say for sure ,only the man knows himself. I would bet he is trying to get back to his form in the past to fast. It is not that simple it takes time, his short game was incredible and I do believe it will shine again.

What is too fast? His short game has been a mess for over a year now.

For everybody that says it will be fine eventually or it is coming back. How long before you dont think so? Its been well over a year. In my opinion he will have some bright spots. Bay Hill, Doral, Augusta and a few others. But if he starts to fail at those places then look out.

This is not a simple "he is working his way back" thing. His short game is flat out terrible right now.
Right now. We have seen Tiger chunk and blade more short game shots in his last 2 tournaments than I remember seeing from all other pros combined over maybe the last decade. To me this is WAY beyond a little hiccup. It is unfathomable. And frankly, I don't understand/buy this business about being between techniques. Short game technique is not that sophisticated. He's a freaking professional player, much less the former best player in the world. If Tiger Woods is getting instruction that leads him to this type of short game that instructor should be fired post haste.

He is a mental mess near the greens - almost like he has no more touch or feel. I have never seen him putt from the fairway/fringe as he did these past two days. He has no confidence in his chipping or pitching

Can we really blame him for adopting the MikeDean chutt?

What is too fast? His short game has been a mess for over a year now.

Trying too hard could be causing this downfall, as I do not know his practice routine in the area.

I saw him duff a chip shot and thought to myself, "hey, I can do that!". Then he holed out for par, then I thought, "...but I can't do that."

its painful to watch a tour player struggle with short game like that. not sure whats worse this or Steve Sax and Chuck Knoblach's throwing issues at second base.

They were talking about this on the Golf Channel this morning and made a really good observation - he's not just hitting poor pitches and chips, this week he's electing not to play the shot that the situation calls for but rather trying more conservative shots. They said they've seen him hit lots of bad shots, but this was the first time they could recall him actually appearing reluctant to hit the "proper" shot.

Not to get too philosophical, but golf is a fragile game. The number of guys who were in some type of elite status and have spiraled into the abyss is pretty substantial. I forget who, but a player back in Hogan's day was prolific until he agreed to a series where he broke down his golf swing, which ruined his swing permanently. You have David Duval, Ian Baker; heck, Hogan's putting towards the end of his career. I don't know where Tiger goes from here, but I see the US Open at Merion as the beginning of the downturn for him. He always had an injury to kind of shrug off any under performance, but now here we are. The pressure of winning majors, everyone wondering when he'll be good again, more of the younger guys getting better and better.... broken teeth....it has got take a toll some how.

I hope he gets back to form and can compete again, but his has been at least three rounds in a row of really bad golf from him.

He also said that he practiced approx. 1,000 chip shots in the period between the Hero World Challenge and yesterday. So why does he still look so off? If anyone of us hit 1,000 chips or put up 1,000 free throws or whatever, you'd think that you would be pretty comfortable with that shot but he clearly is not.

I think he's not being 100% truthful here. Between family and traveling I think the practice habits are not the same but then again he has four greens in his backyard. It's just baffling to me. Could it just be the yips?

Wow, my how far he's fallen.

I heard an interesting concept on the radio today, they said you should think of your short game like your just trying to toss the ball onto the green and get it to just roll a bit into the cup. But that Tiger might be thinking all the technical aspects of the short game and that isn't letting him just play, he's trying to swing, rather than just let his body do what it knows how to do. We've seen him do it before, but haven't seen that Tiger of old in a while.

Wow, my how far he's fallen.

I heard an interesting concept on the radio today, they said you should think of your short game like your just trying to toss the ball onto the green and get it to just roll a bit into the cup. But that Tiger might be thinking all the technical aspects of the short game and that isn't letting him just play, he's trying to swing, rather than just let his body do what it knows how to do. We've seen him do it before, but haven't seen that Tiger of old in a while.

He said with Foley he swing was steep, but his new swing is shallower - so now, in the short game, the club is bottoming out in a different spot than he is used to.

Don't know if that is a legit excuse, or why he hasn't corrected it over the last few months, but that is the answer he gave to reporters

That video isn't good for anyone to see. The swing was clueless

We talk of natural talent when it comes to tw. I'm questioning when mechanics tool over for natural ability

We talk of natural talent when it comes to tw. I'm questioning when mechanics tool over for natural ability

According to Mr. Gary Player, he said Tiger started going down the "mechanics" path after the 2000 US Open at Pebble Beach and Mr. Player said he wish he could have slapped some sense into him.

Maybe 441 can teach him how to chutt.

It's awful to watch Tiger's short game right now. I can't help but feel bad, even though I shouldn't. As much as I rag on him, I am with anyone else wanting him to get awesome again.

Back