Tournament Club of Iowa

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Tournament Club of Iowa played host to the Des Moines area THP Tour Van event and I thought I'd post a quick review of the course, as well as some pictures. This is the only Arnold Palmer design in the state of Iowa and offers daily fee play for around $55 with a cart during peak season.

The piece of land that the course was built on is heavily wooded with old growth hardwoods, rolling hills, creeks, and lakes. The course features a number of different tee boxes and stretch from 5,000 to over 7,000 yards. Tees, fairways, and greens were all bent grass that was in excellent shape. Elevation change and wind are factors on many holes, though it never seemed to blow exclusively from one direction. Some greens were definitely huge, which brought three-putts in the equation if you were on the wrong side or level. The greens weren't extremely fast, but they were receptive to shots, rolled very nicely and were in very well maintained.

The fairways on many holes were quite generous and were then followed up with difficult approach shots that often required some long forced carries.There were a number of holes that favored a right-left ball flight for the best angle to the green, but there was still room for a miss to the right. I was able to keep the ball in play pretty successfully, but if I put a ball to the right off the tee, I was looking at some very long shots to the green. Quite a bit of very well kept sand bunkers, many of which were humongous and placed so that lay-ups and approaches needed to be accurate. I believe water comes into play on 13 of the 18 holes. Many of the holes were deceptive off the tee in that they left you thinking you had less room than you really did. It certainly was easier to play the second time, but the on-cart GPS helped quite a bit.

The par 3's were very nice and really made you use a different club each time. The last two weren't that difficult by themselves, but the wind really confused us. It seemed to circle quite a bit and I chose the wrong club a few times, which caused some water issues.

Customer services was fantastic. We were treated extremely well by the Head Pro, Tony, Josh the GM, and the rest of the staff. Tony actually came to the course on Sunday, his day off, and greeted a number of our groups to see if we were enjoying our time at TCI. The only real complaint I could find was that the cart girls were somewhat scarce at times.

I don't have photos of every hole, but here are some for you to check out.

First hole is a mid-length par 5 from an elevated tee box that drops down into the valley. There is an ample landing area, but you have to be in the left-center portion if you want to try to hit the green in two shots. It was a pretty friendly opening hole.
DSCN1262-L.jpg

DSCN1263-L.jpg

Hole 2 was a mid-length par 4 that played easier than it looked from the tee box. The elevated green runs pretty hard from back to front.
DSCN1265-L.jpg

DSCN1264-L.jpg

The first par 3 was both an easy hole, and a hard hole. If you hit your tee shot well you had a good chance at birdie or par, but a miss too far right or anywhere left brought bogey or double into play.
DSCN1266-L.jpg

Hole 4 was a 550 yard par 5 from the 'white' tees, but the length was tempered a bit by the elevation drop off the tee. Finding your tee shot in the giant bunker made the second shot difficult because you had the next bunker to contend with if you hit the ball poorly.
DSCN1267-L.jpg

Hole 5 is a mid-length par 3 with a substantial elevation drop. It's the signature hole for the course and really is just breathtaking from the tee box. The large green left some people (including myself) with some extremely long putts.
DSCN1271-L.jpg

DSCN1274-L.jpg

Hole 13 is a short par 5 that gives almost everybody a chance at getting home in two, though missing that second shot was pretty penal. The giant tree is in play off the tee and is featured on the TCI logo. I really liked this hole.
DSCN1288-L.jpg

Hole 14 is a driveable par 4, though the wind was quite strong into the tee box. This is the hole that Jake put his tee shot to 15 feet for eagle. Very pretty hole.
DSCN1289-L.jpg

17 was a beast of a par 5 at 560 from the 'whites'. Most people were left with a longer club than normal into the green. Not a ton of trouble in terms of trees, but the water to the left did eat some golf balls. I got a some sweet cart-path help on this hole.
DSCN1292-L.jpg

DSCN1295-L.jpg

This is the 18th green, looking up to the clubhouse. As you can see, the 17th and 18th hole are sort of in a stadium setting and you can watch people come in from the the clubhouse or putting green.
DSCN1294-L.jpg

Such a good layout. The course was in great shape. The staff was unbelievable.

The only thing I wish I could do differently is eat a meal there. Talking with the staff, they have a really good restaurant.

• Staff
If you all have more pictures, please throw them up in here too.

Great review hawk. The course was absolutely amazing and the staff was top notch. I will be making a bi annu trip to this course from now on and I hope to join some thpers each time. I think a lot of people weren't quite expecting this from Iowa and were pleasantly suprised.

Great stuff Hawk!! Here are a few photos showcasing the 2 closing holes. In both photos, 18 is on the left (par 4 coming towards photographer) and 17 is on right (par 5 going away from photographer).

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

Nice write up and great pics Hawk. That golf course was just a pure pleasure to play, it never stopped challenging you from the first shot on yet there were definitely plenty of chances to score out there as well. The conditions were stellar out there as well, gorgeous course that I could play over and over again.

Nice review Hawkster. You took some great pictures and I loved this track. I would love to tee it up there again

Great local course here. Highlight of my round was placing one 2ft from the cup on the #5 par 3.

Let me know if any of you return to the DSM area. Another great local track is Legacy.

Awesome review hawk. The pictures are amazing but just do not do
Justice to how beautiful the course and surroundings were. That course was well worth every penny.

Hawk - you are correct. The halfway house being closed was a downer and the one cart girl they had was scarce at best for our group all day too. She seemed to have trouble running the prices in her head and ran out of ice for the small coolers, drinks, etc.

TCI was in great shape and I enjoyed all 36 holes I played there this past Sat.

Looks like y'all payed a gem of a course at very reasonable price.

What an amazing course this was, great choice hawk! The course had a good mix of distances, challenges and conditions. Possibly the only complaint I could come up with here was this course seemed designed by a Nascar driver with a ton of dogleg lefts. Those with a draw had a much better position most of the day as opposed to us faders. The staff were excellent although the cart girl was MIA most of Saturday.

Longballers on this course have a great chance at a solid score. My buddy brad (B_Rad) was bombing the ball on Saturday, it was amazing to watch. 230 yard hybrid on #18 to a couple feet just blows my mind, haha.

Nice review Hawk, this was an amazing course. It's funny when we would pull up to the next hole, it's almost like we all said, "wow, this is a nice hole" and we just kept repeating on every hole. It was a challenging but yet fun course to play. I will be going back if I'm ever in the area for work!!! Nice choice Hawk!

I hope some of you guys were able to go (all the way) up the hill on the par 3 8th. That hole had the best view of the day. Hole played like 220 down hill, but the view was awesome. Our phones were drained so I wasnt able to grab a pic, but man was it awesome.

I hope some of you guys were able to go (all the way) up the hill on the par 3 8th. That hole had the best view of the day. Hole played like 220 down hill, but the view was awesome. Our phones were drained so I wasnt able to grab a pic, but man was it awesome.
Both days my set of tees were down below so I never ventured up there but it sure looked like it would setup a heck of a shot into that hole. Wish I would have at least gone up and took a peek. That hole (8th) is a great par 3.

Very deep green on that one. The different flag placements were like 30 yards different between Saturday and Sunday.

Wow great looking course Hawk. I went to the web site and the rating for this baby ain't cheesy.
TCI Course Ratings & Slope ... King Tee: 73.9/145: Palmer Tee: 71.5/142: Deacon Tee: 69.6/132 ... Deacon Tee: 74.6/137: Legend Tee: 69.2/122

Great looking photo's everyone that has posted.

It wasn't bad off the tee, Shark. I mainly had issues with approach shots getting away from me. I thought the Deacon tees were plenty of course for me. Some holes played shorter because of the elevation, but then others played longer due to wind. For the money, I'd play it any day over TPC Deere Run.

Shark, I played the Palmer tees both days and it is a very challenging, but also very fair course. Not much bomb & gouge to be had here. Strategically placed bunkers and ravines make for forced carries on just about every single hole. Most definitely a shot makers course.

The restaurant is amazing. Post round yesterday, I had the best $6 quesadilla I have ever had off the Sunday special menu. Bunch of guys had the sliders which was more like a 10 inch burger - no regular sliders for sure!

It wasn't bad off the tee, Shark. I mainly had issues with approach shots getting away from me. I thought the Deacon tees were plenty of course for me. Some holes played shorter because of the elevation, but then others played longer due to wind. For the money, I'd play it any day over TPC Deere Run.

Forgive me Hawk I didn't get to read all of the re caps .
Did you game your Cleveland's or did you try something new from the Tour Van? I wouldn't have thought you would let an approach shot get away from ya bro.

Shark, I played the Palmer tees both days and it is a very challenging, but also very fair course. Not much bomb & gouge to be had here. Strategically placed bunkers and ravines make for forced carries on just about every single hole. Most definitely a shot makers course.

The restaurant is amazing. Post round yesterday, I had the best $6 quesadilla I have ever had off the Sunday special menu. Bunch of guys had the sliders which was more like a 10 inch burger - no regular sliders for sure!

Sounds yummy Mike.
Hard to imagine anything tasting better than the quesadilla at Grand Cypress but I'll take your word for this response.:good:
And thanks for the heads up on the course Mike. From all that I've read you all had an amazing weekend to play Golf with great THP friends.

I actually played my own gear all weekend, Jimbo. I put balls in some terrible spots like usual lol. Fun times though.

Very nice looking golf course. My kinda place, not a house in sight. (except for that last picture but we'll let that one go)

This course kicked my butt on Sunday. Except for five or six hole stretch, I was a walking wounded most of the day!

Hole 12 here is no joke man. While our group as out there hacking around the head pro stopped to talk to Hawk just to thank us for coming to be sure everything was going well for us. Oh yeah, it was his DAY OFF and he did that, great gesture. Anyway as we were talking I mentioned my lack of love for the difficulty of hole 12 since that's where he met up with us. He said that hole ranks in Arnold Palmer's top 18 of all the holes he's ever designed. Now that is saying something! What a golf hole man. 2 days and 2 bogeys and I felt like I won. HAHA!

Back