Ugh....broke a window

People, read my answer. Case closed.

• WTF
Reactions: JB
I’ll never understand the idea of not paying for it. Replace the word window with person and you missed your fairway by 50 yards and of course you would want to help in every way imaginable.

I don't think anyone quoting the legal situation is suggesting don't pay at all - simply that you're not legally required to do so.

I'm a standup guy and if I break a window I'll be happy to cover the guy's deductible or replacement. To a point. If he comes out demanding I pay $10,000 for his window replacement, I'll make my offer of covering his deductible or a reasonable amount towards the replacement. If he won't be reasonable, then I would politely refuse.

You're saying you'll pay the bill, no matter what number is given to you?

Not great parallels.
If your tree farm house had someone saw a tree down and it hit your house you might not want to pay for that.

If your airport house had someone driving to pick up a friend and hit your mailbox, you might not want to pay for it
People hit bad golf shots. That's normal.

Felling a tree the wrong direction or driving off the road are negligent.

It will never cease to baffle me when I read through threads like this and see the perspective that the person who did the damage is completely innocent.

The golf course didn't hit the ball.
The homeowner didn't hit the ball.

Like if I sneeze while walking through a parking lot and bash my cart against a car, it's their fault for being there.

There is a course near me that has such a sign up. My buddy the attorney laughed at it. He said they can put up all the signs they want, the signs can't change State law or precedent.
And that is why we hesitate to do the right thing.

People hit bad golf shots. That's normal.

Felling a tree the wrong direction or driving off the road are negligent.
is it a stretch to compare "off road" to "out of bounds"?

I surely don't think so.

Reactions: JB
I don't think anyone quoting the legal situation is suggesting don't pay at all - simply that you're not legally required to do so.

I'm a standup guy and if I break a window I'll be happy to cover the guy's deductible or replacement. To a point. If he comes out demanding I pay $10,000 for his window replacement, I'll make my offer of covering his deductible or a reasonable amount towards the replacement. If he won't be reasonable, then I would politely refuse.

Sadly some are

Sorry you broke a window. That's no fun and something that can happen to any of us.

If I break a window, I will pay to fix/replace but would also talk to the homeowner to see if there is some flexibility in what that looks like. For example, I might encourage them to use insurance with me paying the deductible.

is it a stretch to compare "off road" to "out of bounds"?

I surely don't think so.
How many times have you accidentally driven off the road in your life?

How many balls have you hit OB?

Like I said, I'd pay for it, but don't necessarily expect others to.

People, read my answer. Case closed.
GIF by Giphy QA

How many times have you accidentally driven off the road in your life?

How many balls have you hit OB?

Like I said, I'd pay for it, but don't necessarily expect others to.
I'm MUCH better at driving a car than I am driving a golf ball.

Having lived on a course multiple times i know what most windows cost with in reason. Or I will gladly pay one’s deductible. Just like if I hit a person and they are harmed, I would do the same.

I’m not blaming someone else because I hit a poor golf shot. I always blame the equipment or pace of play.

Well, it happened. Sliced a tee shot off the planet and tagged a window. The lady of the house was cordial enough and the husband was clearly very pissed off but held his tongue. We exchanged info, but now I'm not sure what level of $$ I should be expected to pay or be responsible for. On one hand, they bough/own a house well within range of a wayward tee shot and therefore, it should be handled by homeowners insurance. On the other hand, it was my ball and my swing action that broke said window. Depending on the deductible, I could see bearing either all or some of that burden, but sure as heck not the entire cost of the window replacement.

What say you THP?
Offer to pay their deductable first.
Oftentimes though, courses have a policy stating players are responsible for wayward shots and resulting damage to adjacent homes.

Having lived on a course multiple times i know what most windows cost with in reason. Or I will gladly pay one’s deductible. Just like if I hit a person and they are harmed, I would do the same.

I’m not blaming someone else because I hit a poor golf shot. I always blame the equipment or pace of play.
love the idea of sending a couple bills to the driver and ball manufacturer hahaha

Many many years ago I did the same. That's why I still hate playing courses with house right next to the fairways. We came to an agreement that I would replace it if it approved of my work. Took me 30mins and was under $100. Not sure what type of window you hit, but glass is dirt cheap.

I would offer to pay, But that's just me.
I do think if you buy a house on a course your kinda taking some risk and shouldn't be that pissed when a window does get broken.

Drivin g school for the bl ind?

I don't think you understand how this works either lmao
I.e. Blind drivers know where their car is going as well as most golfers know where their golf ball is going.

I.e. Blind drivers know where their car is going as well as most golfers know where their golf ball is going.
it's a silly debate if you're going to ignore the comparison logic.

There is one of one scenario where I will accept a golfer claiming it's someone else's fault that they did damage to property: and that's if on your downswing your bonehead playing partner throws something at you or shouts at you.

Other than that, it's your fault, hard stop. You pay to play.

Love the last comment. :)

As I said, I'm happy to pay any reasonable request. I'm not a Richard.

But let's take it to an unlikely extreme. You hit a golf ball offline and tragically, it hits someone and does serious damage to them. Naturally, you feel AWFUL. You offer to pay the person's medical deductible or for their ambulance ride - something. Instead, their spouse comes to you later and says "my wife is permanently damaged. I demand you immediately sell your home and pay me $850,000 in damages." Are we really saying we'd say, "I hit the ball, so you got it. I'll call a real-estate agent today?"

Of course you wouldn't. You'd defend yourself in court. Golf involves errant shots and short of intentional negligence, we are all assuming some risk by being on a golf course, and as it so happens, buying property bordering one.

And that is why we hesitate to do the right thing.
What I offer to do is in direct proportion to the homeowners demeanor. Be a jerk, I'm walking off. Call your insurance, you are the one who opted to live here. I'm not going to put up with your chitty attitude.
Be a gentleman, I'll pay.
But if its a frequent event, they really need to get some protection over that window......

Love the last comment. :)

As I said, I'm happy to pay any reasonable request. I'm not a Richard.

But let's take it to an unlikely extreme. You hit a golf ball offline and tragically, it hits someone and does serious damage to them. Naturally, you feel AWFUL. You offer to pay the person's medical deductible or for their ambulance ride - something. Instead, their spouse comes to you later and says "my wife is permanently damaged. I demand you immediately sell your home and pay me $850,000 in damages." Are we really saying we'd say, "You got it. I'll call a real-estate agent today?"

Of course you wouldn't. You'd defend yourself in court. Golf involves errant shots and short of intentional negligence, we are all assuming some risk by being on a golf course, and as it so happens, buying property bordering one.
Sadly that is something that could happen. It’s why I carry different coverages that should help me in this type of instance.

It’s entirely scary and possible that you could cause major harm to another being while out there

Back