Wedge Groove Wear

I like them worn to a certain point....I am guilty of hitting a bucket or so out of the bunker with newer wedges, I spin the ball fairly well and with brand new grooves I tend to damage the cover of the ball too easily.

True enough, but does "sharpness" of the edges help move the debris. I could see them maybe cutting through the blades of grass more efficiently than a duller edge, which does make it seem like an advantage. Though hearing someone intentionally dull their wedges to decrease spin makes me wonder, are they making that much better contact, or what it is about their technique that is allowing for so much spin that they would actually look for ways to create less of it.

I need more coffee to maintain this level of thought haha.

I don't know if the sharpness helps move more debris, but a club designer told me that the edges of the grooves do have a slight impact on the amount of spin, which is why he puts more scorelines on the face of his wedges - so the ball is in contact with more groove edges.

Last edited:
Some pretty interesting responses in here from all handicap levels. It's pretty cool. Do you think the combination of groove sharpness and the ball youplay have a direct relationship on the spin you either do or don't get?

Some pretty interesting responses in here from all handicap levels. It's pretty cool. Do you think the combination of groove sharpness and the ball youplay have a direct relationship on the spin you either do or don't get?

My memory sucks, so I'm not sure. I keep trying to think about what I was seeing with my 588's when they were brand new, but it's foggy.

I think it CAN have an impact, but not the biggest impact. That comes from technique. 2nd to that would be the cover on the golf ball in my opinion (urethane). From there it will also directly relate to what surface you are hitting from. From a tight lie or fairway, groove depth will not add a huge amount, but where there is grass in between your ball and club head at impact, the grooves can absolutely matter.

Good question. I think that the ball would have to make a difference to some players. I rarely play urethane covered balls, so my opinions are mostly based on surlyn (or other material) covers. Though I did just pick up a couple dozen 330RX.

I never seem to get enough spin out of my wedges (due to my inexperience) so I buy the biggest darn grooves I can get. I also find it strangely satisfying to hit a shot and then look down at the face of my club to see that the grooves are filled with ball. I also find it hilarious to find my ball on the green and it have strings of cover hanging off of it like grated cheese. Of course my attitude would probably be different if my friend's uncle hadn't given me 300+ used balls, and I had to buy $5 balls.

I tried the whole sharp grooves for a bit and it was fun- I found an old 588 wedge -pre forged era and I used one of them sharpeners and compared the spin, after reforming The grooves
With my fancy groove sharpener, I saw a huge change in the spin I saw.

Now I just keep my conforming grooves clean and although it doesnt spin as much, it's still playable

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk

I will take more spin. I don't get a ton of spin with my wedges anyway so the more spin the better for me. I control my distance more with height. That being said there is nothing worse than having to get new distances when you switch wedges

I want the grooves, I need as much help as I can get to spin the ball and fresh new grooves do exactly that. Especially if they are the new Rotex from Cleveland!

Wow, this thread is really eye opening on how so many people dont really need more spin. I'm definitely a wedge ho because I always wanted sharp grooves to keep the spin as high as possible (I need the help).

Same here. I need all the spin I can get. I just don't have the technique to create more spin. I'm even thinking about putting DG Spinners on my Jaws wedges to get more spin!!

I actually have a groove sharpener, I like my grooves sharp and spinny!

Duller the better for me. I haven't changed wedges for 2 years now and don't plan on it until I'm forced to.

I think there is a little relationship between the two. But for my game its not much. Even when hitting range rocks, I can still find slivers of the ball in the grooves of my wedges even all the way up to my 7-iron. So I think for some peoples games or swing the ball makes very little difference.

I will take more spin. I don't get a ton of spin with my wedges anyway so the more spin the better for me. I control my distance more with height. That being said there is nothing worse than having to get new distances when you switch wedges

I hate that. I saw a big difference in distances when I went form my xft wedges to the jaws cc wedges and it screwed me up pretty good the week of the first MC.

I love having new wedges with unworn grooves. If I was rich beyond belief, I'd change out wedges a lot to keep the grooves as fresh as possible. Every little bit of extra spin is a bonus when in the rough or short sided. Plus I find with the new conforming grooves that even when the wedges are new they don't chew the cover off of balls like the Jaws and other wedges pre 2011.

I got me new set of SM4 wedges and I am enjoying the spin, check, and the new-ness. Before, I had one Mizuno gw and Cleveland rtg(?) and I thought the older they are, the more accustomed to them and better. I bought be wedge sharpener and some oil to sharpen them.

I will always hit a ton of shots with new wedges,before i put them in play. I hate what new wedges do to the golf balls

I like the new grooves since my swing doesn't lend itself to spinning the balls that much.

I have never had a new wedge, and I would love to know what that is like!

Back