What are your "go-to" swing thoughts, by swing?

InHartWeTrust

Ball Go Far.
Reaction score
Handicap
4-5ish
Thought it would be interesting to hear what everything holds as their swing thought on different clubs and/or shots. I am sure a bunch will say "a million things at once" (haha), but, maybe some of us have been lucky enough to narrow it down to just one pre-swing and one during the swing.

Here are mine:

Driver - Head turned back behind the ball before I swing, long slow sweeping takeaway (it actually goes quick though haha), and I think "stay back" with my head and weight through impact.
3 wood - Sweeping take away, hit the inside back quadrant of the ball, good extension on the follow through.
Irons - Make a small forward press to initiate the swing, smooth tempo, hit the inside back quadrant of the ball. At the top of the swing, I feel like I lock the hinge in my wrists.
Wedges - Full shots: Hit down aggressively, hands go at the target for as long as they can after impact. Half wedges: Hinge and hold.
Putter - Putt into the picture, keep the arc of the stroke the same as I feel when working with my Putting Arc.

A lot of this happens naturally, but I try to only have one thought while swinging. If I have a swing issue I have identified and found a fix, that is always my swing thought of the moment and I trust the rest is engrained well enough.

I need to head to bed since the game is almost over now, and a day at the office is coming too soon in the morning, but I'll get some different shot thoughts up tomorrow...like draw, fade, punch, stinger, one-hop-and-stop wedge, flop, etc.

Today as I was playing my driver was a little off in the first three holes. On the 4th I felt a hinge or slight strain in my left shoulder but the ball went straight and left me with a short wedge shot. I told my buddy about it and he said he also gets a feeling in his left shoulder when he is coming down on his swing. I feels like letting loose a slingshot. Grip it and rip it!!!

Make a full shoulder turn on all full shots.

TEMPO

Keep head still

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

I think my head gets a little too full of thoughts sometime, so I have been focusing more on doing a small check list before I pull the trigger. Grip, alignment, ball position, loosen the shoulders, GO. I try to keep my routine consistent (stand behind the ball, pick a target, extend club at 45 degrees, take grip, address ball and go through check list) and allow for as little time as possible for thought ninjas to sneak into my brain and start karate chopping. I have really struggled with the driver the past month, so I am in desperate search of something there to get back on track.

Did I lock my car !!!! :D

Tempo!

Don't slice

Don't hang back

And turn not slide

"Swing easy", "turn, dont sway", "keep your head down through impact" and "have fun, youre not good enough to take things too seriously".

Should I be breathing in, out or holding my breath?

Where's the beer cart girl???

1. Don't look up.
2. Relax your body.
3. Keep lower body fairly stable.
4. Watch out for "cupped" wrist.

That's about it. The more I tend to think about my swing the worse I shoot. These are the 4 things I go to if I am struggling in the middle of the round.

TEMPO

I want as little in my head as possible when making a swing and certainly NOTHING NEGATIVE. Keep it POSITIVE!

Turn by back to the target and keep the back elbow tucked in at the beginning of the downswing.

All shots: keep eye on ball (head still). Nothing good ever comes from taking your eye off the ball pre-contact.

Boom ptishh boom boom chakalaka booom ptish.

Driver - Eye on the ball.
3 wood - Eye on the ball.
Irons - Eye on the ball.
Wedges - Accelerate through the shot.
Putter - ​Follow through the target line.

Driver: Don't top it
3Wood: Don't top it
Hybrid: Don't top it
Irons: Don't blade it
Wedge: Since I bladed my iron, now I need a good wedge shot. Don't blade it.
Putter: I can two putt to save double-par.

Mostly what's is in my mind is...tempo.
Lately I have one other thing as well.... flat left wrist...flat left wrist.

i'm tiger woods

There's got to be a cart girl around here somewhere

Balance
Tempo
Focus on a target
Swing through the ball like it slapped your Momma

Don't miss.

Loose jaw (helps me relax) and a flat wrist on all full shots.

Putting - PLEASE GO IN THE HOLE!

I think about the target and it allows me to make a free swing.

Last season i wrote on my glove: POSTURE + SLOW

This season: POSTURE + TEMPO + UPRIGHT

Definitely helps stop the real horror rounds when i start swing flat and fast!

Back