What golf stuff did you learn today?

Today I learnt that low hands and a smooth tempo hits some great shots for me.

So close to breaking 90 again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moving up to the white tees didn't help. I'm thinking all my shafts are too stiff now since I've lost so much club speed. Maybe I can round up a set of regular flex clubs to play tomorrow and see if there's a difference.

Moving up to the white tees didn't help. I'm thinking all my shafts are too stiff now since I've lost so much club speed. Maybe I can round up a set of regular flex clubs to play tomorrow and see if there's a difference.

I think you will enjoy the regular flex buddy!

I learned that I have enough golf stuff right now. No need to purchase anything else for a while.
My bank account will thank me.

I learned that I have enough golf stuff right now. No need to purchase anything else for a while.
My bank account will thank me.

After the kilties....buy the kilties.

I learned full extension after hitting the golf ball is a must. Now to see if range work carries over to the course.

I learned I need a consistent shoulder turn. When I get lazy the results are not pretty.

I think you will enjoy the regular flex buddy!

Thanks Bill, It is a huge difference in the irons. Now I need a R flex driver shaft but not going to do anything there until the Titleist 915 hits the stores--November 14 I think.

I absolutely LOVE hitting hybrids off the tee. Hit CJ's new G30. Probably went about 230+ today off the turf right after a great shot off the tee. X2Hot hybo is money. Maybe I need a 1 hybrid!?

Not today, but I played a couple rounds while out west and had to use rental clubs each time. I learned a couple interesting things. The first day I had a full set of tour edge bazooka clubs and the second day it was a hodgepodge of antiques, including a junior putter with a graphite shaft.

I saw the least difference between these sets and mine with the irons. Generally, I hit a 9 as far as I usually do, probably not as high and with more roll. But it wasn't tough to adjust. Hybrids were also not tough to adjust to while driver (which sounded like an aluminum bat hitting an electrical transformer) was generally fine as well.

The big difference? Wedges and putter. By far where I lost the most strokes, just not knowing distances or how much roll I'd get. The junior putter was laughable, as I had a ton of 5-6 footers I simply couldn't get in. I actually scored pretty well both days, but will wonder how many strokes I could have saved with wedges and a putter I'm familiar with.

Just a different way to confirm that short game and putting is the best way to shave strokes from your handicap. And that, for me at least, shaft flex, steel or graphite, or club type, probably provide more of a subjective difference than small differences in ball flight, forgiveness and accuracy.

I learned today that I cannot chip the ball I Will be spending a lot of this winter on my basement chipping green working on it I lost at least 7 shots today on greenside chips unacceptable ?

I learned/was reminded yesterday to embrace forgiveness.

Sexy clubs are no good if you can't score with them.

I learned that I need to think a little more on the course. Just because in presented with a number to hit doesn't mean I have to always "go for it" sometimes par is good and on to the next one.

Learned in match play that sometimes you take yourself out of a hole LONG before your app intents take you out of the hole.

Learned in match play that sometimes you take yourself out of a hole LONG before your app intents take you out of the hole.

You didn't learn that during my MC match play prep. I think you won the 8th hole at Apple Mountain every time because ego took over and I pulled driver every time.

Match play is a different beast entirely from stroke play.

Glad you guys had the chance to play some formats this weekend, the experience is invaluable.

Never quit....cause you never know what may happen.

A wise man told me I'm too technical and that I need to just swing the club. He was right - I think too much when I'm standing behind the ball.

Saturday I was reminded by my golf elf to "take a 3/4 swing and follow through". Sound advice because it gets real ugly real fast when I don't remember to do that.

Last edited:
I already knew this, but yesterday confirmed that I need to play in a scramble with Jacqui on the team.

Teeing off from the forward tees, she is in the fairway 80 to 90 percent of the time most rounds and she hits it 150 to 175 consistently. HUGE advantage for a team who has her to be able to use the guys to just grip and rip drives. Plus she can putt. And is usually on the green on par 3's. We shot 1-under 69 with four birdies playing a fun two person scramble with a couple guys from the course yesterday (we lost 2&1) but would have had a 68 if we had played bogey is your friend as most scrambles are. Yes, we had a double on a par 5 where we both just hacked it all the way up.

That Match Play is my Favorite format!

It's really the little/simple things that keep haunting me in my swing.

A quick look at my swing by my instructor pointed out setup issues that was wreaking havoc on my driver swing.

I also proved to myself that I can make whatever swing changes my instructor asks me to make.

I am learning to trust my swing, to just give it 80% effort and let the club do the job it was built to. I'm getting more distance and more height.

Also learned that choking up on all of my clubs has some solid benefits to it, and I'm not seeing a loss in distance if I choke up an inch on every club. The control I gain is helping me get better placement.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

I am learning to trust my swing, to just give it 80% effort and let the club do the job it was built to. I'm getting more distance and more height.

Also learned that choking up on all of my clubs has some solid benefits to it, and I'm not seeing a loss in distance if I choke up an inch on every club. The control I gain is helping me get better placement.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Trust is huge in this game

I hope we get to tee it up again someday dude I want to see the change in you game

And I learned today that Callaway has an incredible way of surprising you when you least expect it.

And I learned today that Callaway has an incredible way of surprising you when you least expect it.

Definitely caught me off guard. Pretty AMAZING.

Trust is huge in this game

I hope we get to tee it up again someday dude I want to see the change in you game
Thanks. They're incremental, but I'm slowly figuring this whole golf thing out. Just have to keep at it.

Fortunately plenty of THP events next year! :)

How valuable a rangefinder can be. On my list of things to get eventually.

Back