What is the shortest drive you have ever hit?

HBirdman80

Reaction score
Handicap
15.6 GHIN
Since we have an active 'longest drive' thread with many funny stories, I thought I'd start a shortest drive thread that will hopefully bring out a slew of other funny stories.

Most tournaments have a longest drive contest; I've actually played in a tournament with a shortest drive contest. It was before my buddy's wedding and we had the standard contests (longest drive, closest to pin) but also the shortest drive. It was on 18 and the father of the bride had clearly (and accurately) anticipated how well we would be functioning by the time we made it to 18 after he made the entire course open bar for us ("why yes I will take that as a six pack"). Sadly (or maybe happily) I did not win.

My shortest drive ever is about 5 yards. I swiped at the ball and barely hit it, spraying it hard to the right. It proceeded to hit the ball washer and ricochet back at me, stopping between the blue and white tee markers. Had I hit it harder it would've easily come back over my head and wound up with negative yards.

So how about the rest of you? Any funny stories about how you managed to hit a driver only a few feet?

Hit a tee marker, bounced behind me, into the woods. Prob -20 yds.

Capt.dru had one at a safe (-20 yards) a few weeks back.

How many other negatives out there?

I once duck hook/shanked 3 straight balls directly into water about 15 yards in front of me to my left. I thought what I was doing wrong was 1 thing, but really I was doing something completely different that was causing it. The next 2 times teeing off I was actually just making it worse.

Needless to say, that wasn't a very good hole for me.

I yanked one in the trees and it bounced back about 10 yards behind me. Darn near killed one of the other guys in the foursome.

3 inches for me. A total whiff that just moved the ball off the tee. And it was in front of many at a THP event.

How about a flat "zero" for me?

#whiff

3 inches for me. A total whiff that just moved the ball off the tee. And it was in front of many at a THP event.

Did you take the next one with your driver off the deck? :D

18 inches in lake charles. It was a bomb

i avoided the "longest drive" thread because i'm a relatively short knocker and don't have much to contribute. but shortest drive? now we're talking! i've chunked drives that went less than 10 yards, and i've hit drives so far to the heel of the face that they go about 5 yards forward, but about 30 yards left. fun times...

Mine is in negative yards as well. Did it a couple weeks ago playing with Lightningbolt and Trout Bum. Tee'd off and clipped a boulder about 20 yards in front of the tee box and it shot back to my left and behind me, near the green we just finished playing.

I had one go about 100 yards behind me. Had an old Nike Str8-Fit adapter break in the middle of my swing and the ball went right almost immediately off the club face. Hit a tree, then proceeded to ricochet straight backward about 100 yards or so.

Did you take the next one with your driver off the deck? :D

lol, that would have probably been a worse shot than a whiff for me!

I have hit them off of things and had them end up behind me before, like several others probably have. The shortest non-ricochet drive was at a course in Tampa called Pebble Creek. I showed up 5 minutes late and ran straight to the tee where my group was waiting. I didn't even have my clubs on the cart yet, and I went up there to tee it up. The tee box was extremely wet. I took a pretty big swing and topped the ball. It went about 3 inches in front of me, and buried itself so deep in the ground that I had to pry it out with a couple tees.

About three inches far and two inches deep. So five inches altogether.

I duck hooked a drive straight into a tree about 10 yards in front of me and the ball landed on a cart path and just kept rolling down the path. I tee'd up another ball and then drove to find it. I never found it. Fast forward to hole 8 on the course which is a long dogleg left uphill par 3. I hit a really good ball but it landed to the right of the green. I drive up to find my ball and I found my other ball also. It was a good 150 yards behind hole 3's tee box lol

I think less than a foot, just caught the ball enough to knock it off the tee. I did totally miss a ball once but it was because my buddy threw a ball and knocked my ball off the tee while I was swinging so I don't count that.

I skied a drive years ago that barely made it to the end of the tee box, about 25m away, lol. Missed it by that much.........

40 yards maybe ? First tee shot at the inaugural Morgan cup. Funny thing is It wasn't even nerves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 yards maybe ? First tee shot at the inaugural Morgan cup. Funny thing is It wasn't even nerves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can top that, mine was roughly 3.7 ft at the 3rd Morgan Cup.

To be fair, it was all carry.

In a jr club tournament on hole 17 I hit 1 off the toe and hit a sign and it went wizzing by my mom's head and back toward the tee and bounced off a cart path. Total distance was negative something and was completely embarrassed and scared I hit my mom.

I knew a guy who wasn't much for hitting long drives on the driving range. His carry was a good -2 yards or so.

Kind of a big deal. One Mister War Eagle.

Hit a tee marker, bounced behind me, into the woods. Prob -20 yds.

Been there, done that. -20 yards for me at least as well.

I once skied my driver so badly, the ball went straight up, probably 10 ft or so, and I caught it when it came down and never moved my feet. I have witnesses to prove it. Funniest golf moment I have had as of yet.

Easy - you pick between the Connecticut Invitational and Indy Invitational. Both went about 20-30 yards.

Back