What wedge do you have? Is there a wedge you would rather have?

DevRickus

The Dirty Jerz
Reaction score
Handicap
Snow
I am in the market for a new wedge and there are so many out there that I am lost. So in effort to sort of get a poll of what the consensus is on THP, what wedge do you currently own and is there a wedge you would rather have?

Cleveland CG15 and Nike VR Pro

Currently have a Mizuno MP-10 60 degree which is a great wedge for me in those high lob scenarios.

Tomorrow, my VR Pro 52 degree with the X3X grooves will be arriving and I look forward to gaming it on Saturday; heard nothing but great things about it thus far.

As of now, I do not have a desire to have a different wedge in the bag but that is subject to change at any moment.

Cleveland CG15 and Nike VR Pro

Is there one you prefer over the other? I saw that you said that the CG15 was the spinniest wedge you have hit.

I have one of the original Callaway Forged and a Bridgestone J38.

I guess if I really got to pondering, the CG-16 would be my dream wedge, in low bounce, 50-55-60.

More niblicks!!! j/k probably the Nike VR Pro after seeing Canadan spin them all over the place

Can't go wrong with the cg15, cleveland makes an incredible wedge and not only that since they are done making them you can find them on golf websites going for a lot less than the newer wedges.....cg15 end of story....

I have Titleist Vokey's, but if I had to change them I would probably get Nike VR Pro's

Is there one you prefer over the other? I saw that you said that the CG15 was the spinniest wedge you have hit.

I definitely prefer the CG15s right now. They offer the most performance and spin I have ever used in a wedge. Combined with incredible feel. Possibly the best wedge I have used since the 588. Based on where I play, I needed to go with something with less spin. I chose the Nikes based purely off of appearance and like them quite a bit.

Used the Adams Watson wedges, but have been in the market for a better sand wedge as I'm prob dropping the 60* lob from my bag. Right now I'm looking at Vokeys and the Mizzy MP-T11's.

Miura 52 & 58. Yes, newer ones. :D

I have pretty much narrowed it down to the CG15 and the Nike VR Pro based on all the good things I have heard in the past. I hit the CG15 a week ago and really liked it. Much better than the CG16 for whatever reason. I just want to make sure I am not missing out on something else. I have heard some good things about the Mizuno MPT-11 with the True Temper Dynamic Gold Spinner shaft.

I had the CG15 and Vokey spin milled. I loved the CG15, great feel and spin.

Never got those back? That is crazy.

I honestly dont think Id change my wedges. I like them.

What is the difference between the VR Forged and the VR Pro? I have seen the VR forged going for pretty cheap and almost bought them.

What is the difference between the VR Forged and the VR Pro? I have seen the VR forged going for pretty cheap and almost bought them.

VR Pro has the new X3X grooves.

Good thread.

I have all Taylormade xFT wedges with the Z grooves. I really like the weight to them (slightly lighter than most wedges I've tried). They do well spinning on pitch shots.

However, a taylormade pro on contract with them who I talk to often told me they don't spin as well as other wedges right now. He has been messing around with differen't face plates to see if there is a solution. Said DG spinners only had 200 rpm to the shots. I haven't see a huge spin issue. I can still one hop and stop on pitch shots. Chipping is good too, but makes me wonder what other wedges have to offer for spin.

Most like i won't change since I really like the feel and look of these and may just throw on spinners.

I should have elaborated more...my bad. Here are the specs on each per GolfSmith.com. I do not think that the VR Forged meet the new groove rules if that matters to you...but they are definitely a great deal at around $50!!

VR Forged (2009 debut):

High Rev Grooves: The aggressive High Rev grooves are designed and milled into the club head up to the allowable limit to produce maximum spin for increased control and shot placement.

1025 Forged Carbon Steel: Precision forged and machined to precise tolerances for unsurpassed feel. The material of choice for accomplished players.

Versatile Heel Grind: Tour-inspired heel grind allows for increased shot-making capabilities from various lies.

CNC Milled Face: CNC milled-flat face ensures uniform ball compression for consistent ball flight.

Victory Red Grip by Eaton Grips: Designed for maximum grip on the top half, and fantastic feel on the bottom, these grips will give you control and power shot after shot.

VR Pro (2011 debut I believe);

The Nike VR Pro Wedges have predictable flight and control. With more grooves, closer together and deeper, it ensures maximum flight control and shot-to-shot consistency, while conforming to new USGA and R&A rules. Precision-forging eliminates most handwork and ensures consistency throughout the set and the tried and true S20C forged iron is the premier material used by Nike Golf's Tour staff.

I should have elaborated more...my bad. Here are the specs on each per GolfSmith.com. I do not think that the VR Forged meet the new groove rules if that matters to you...but they are definitely a great deal at around $50!!

VR Forged (2009 debut):

High Rev Grooves: The aggressive High Rev grooves are designed and milled into the club head up to the allowable limit to produce maximum spin for increased control and shot placement.

1025 Forged Carbon Steel: Precision forged and machined to precise tolerances for unsurpassed feel. The material of choice for accomplished players.

Versatile Heel Grind: Tour-inspired heel grind allows for increased shot-making capabilities from various lies.

CNC Milled Face: CNC milled-flat face ensures uniform ball compression for consistent ball flight.

Victory Red Grip by Eaton Grips: Designed for maximum grip on the top half, and fantastic feel on the bottom, these grips will give you control and power shot after shot.

VR Pro (2011 debut I believe);

The Nike VR Pro Wedges have predictable flight and control. With more grooves, closer together and deeper, it ensures maximum flight control and shot-to-shot consistency, while conforming to new USGA and R&A rules. Precision-forging eliminates most handwork and ensures consistency throughout the set and the tried and true S20C forged iron is the premier material used by Nike Golf's Tour staff.

Thanks. I thought I had seen them that cheap on Golfsmith.com but I cannot find them now. Looks like they are $90 now.

Thanks. I thought I had seen them that cheap on Golfsmith.com but I cannot find them now. Looks like they are $90 now.

No problem - they are $50 plus $10 shipping at GlobalGolf.com. May be cheaper elsewhere but I did not look around a bunch.

My GW is a CG14 and my SW and LW are CG15's. I would not change for anything (well, my grooves on the SW are getting a bit worn, but I would just get a new CG15). I like the CG14 GW because I feel that is a bit more forgiving because of hollowed out middle with the rubber and it has a little bit of offset as opposed to the CG15's which have virtually no offset. I much prefer the feel of my cast CG wedges to the forged Mizuno wedge that I played for a few months (Thanks JB!).

No problem - they are $50 plus $10 shipping at GlobalGolf.com. May be cheaper elsewhere but I did not look around a bunch.

Have you ever bought from them before because they have the VR Forged LH for $39.99 right now on clearance.

Have you ever bought from them before because they have the VR Forged LH for $39.99 right now on clearance.

Yes, they are definitely reputable. Better hop on that - it is a steal!!!

Back